Upload & Sell: Off
| p.5 #16 · $895.00 is just way too much |
Statistics show the majority of people who are out of work want work, but are having a tougher time finding it today than ever before.
A decade ago, the average so-called discouraged worker looked for about seven weeks before giving up.
In 2010, the figure was 20 weeks.
7 weeks? See thats my point. No one wants to work as long as Obama keeps giving free money away. 7 weeks isnt shit. 7 weeks will get you nowhere. Hell, even when I had a job at Apple and I was recruited to my current job as a corporate photographer. It took them 12 weeks just to do my FBI clearances, background check, paper work and all the steps of the interview process. And they recruited me, I didn't go after them.
See how lazy our country has become? See how pathetic people are. No wonder other countries will take our jobs and take it for less. I feel bad for people who are out there looking for over a year and can not get something. I dont feel bad for people who give up after 7 weeks.
I understand your frustration, Nick, but ten years ago, Obama wasn't the president; Bush was. And speaking from experience (as well as from research on the subject), it takes less than 7 weeks to start becoming discouraged and depressed when searching for jobs full time. Naturally, that depression makes it that much more difficult to keep searching for jobs or to interview effectively, nevermind to pay the bills.
In the example you gave above, it's worth noting that the 12 weeks you mention were while you were in the process of being hired, which is surely different from spending 12 weeks sending out applications and not hearing back from anyone, which is where a lot of people are now. That doesn't even go into how you mentioned you were actively recruited, which is something most job hunters can only dream of.
Finally, I don't think this is a question of folks being lazy or pathetic. I think it's the result of decades of deliberate economic policies that have shifted ever-increasing sums of money to the richest members of society at the expense of everyone else. This has been exacerbated to a fever pitch during the recession and its recovery.
In 2010 -- the first full year since the end of the Great Recession -- virtually all of the income growth in America took place among the country's very wealthiest people, says an economist at the University of California, Berkeley. The top 1 percent of earners took in a full 93 percent of all the income gains that year, leaving the other 7 percent of gains to be sprinkled among the vast majority of society.
The top 1% of households starts at around 323k, so that encompasses almost no one on these forums. The more we figure we aren't in the same boat as other struggling people in this country, the more the wealthiest members can continue to turn us against each other while pillaging the economy.
All right, I've got some homework to do. Enough procrastination