Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Actually I would do give them the raws for what I could make off of weddings for one year... say 60,000$.
If someone actually wanted to give me that and the check cleared I would gift wrap them in the fanciest paper and hand them to them over the most expensive steak dinner in town.

So yes I can be bought but I doubt anyone could afford.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

samwise wrote:
My first year of shooting I was asked 3 times for this because they wanted to make sure they didn't miss anything

I've never been asked for this. But I never bring up the subject of how many images I take.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:13 AM
larhouser
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

When I go to a nice restaurant I prefer it when the chef trims the fat off the steak before he cooks it for me. "Um could I get the potatoes peals on the side, and the onion skins too please".

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:19 AM
rema86
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I had a couple ask me for them during a consultation,

my answer was hell no.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:25 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I think if you clarify what makes you decide if an image makes the cut or not, like you blinked or had an unflattering expression, etc. all will agree, they don't really want to see those images. Show them an example of what does not make it into the final images, they will agree with your thinking. Of course showing them an example of your best shot from the same wedding, it will be a no-brainer. I have never had to actually show examples, but I have explained my process and it's easy to understand.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:36 AM
Harpo63

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I had a similar experience recently for a friend when I did a puppy shoot, not a wedding. I presented a handful of the best images, and trashed the ones that didn't make it. Our friend knew I took far more pictures than I presented, so she asked if she could have them all. Because she is a friend, I simply told her they were not as good- missing limbs as they trot out of the frame, fuzzy due to movement, composition, etc… She said, Oh, ok.

Makes me wonder if people are seeing all the best images we present, and assume the others taken were equally as good? It seems to me that couples today are agreeing to a package of "100 images" or whatever you give, and assume the rest are just as good, and try to see if they can get more than they agreed to for free (or low cost)?

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:43 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

It's not like they're asking for my first born child....they're freakin computer files that really don't mean that much to me. I shoot for money, period. If they're willing to pay my price for those files I'd burn that disk so fast it would make their heads spin. Then I'd edit a few for my blog and be done with it. Easy peasy...

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:31 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

hardlyboring wrote:
Actually I would do give them the raws for what I could make off of weddings for one year... say 60,000$.
If someone actually wanted to give me that and the check cleared I would gift wrap them in the fanciest paper and hand them to them over the most expensive steak dinner in town.

So yes I can be bought but I doubt anyone could afford.

This is the best answer. Its kind of a strange request, so give them an equally strange response. Why not profit from the strangeness

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:45 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I had a client want the raws once. i agreed on $3500. they said ok. I took my raws did a basic color correct and levels adjustment and slight sharpening then saved them as dng files. which technically is a raw file. I gave them to the client and they were happy as shit.

I had another client I agreed on $3000 and did the same with them. They called and said the files were all corrupt and they wanted their money back. I said they probably didnt have the software to open raw files. I came over to their house and showed them I can open the files just fine. They said, what do we do now. I handed them a book on raw files and said compliments from me I also gave them a coupon for 10% off Lightroom or Photoshop. I also said I would edit them for $75 an hour. They said they already paid me $3000 for the raw files on top of what it cost me to shoot the wedding. I said yes but that was for the raw files. You got the files. This is my fee to edit. We finally came to an agreement that they would pay for the editing of the files that would go in to an album they purchased. When I delivered the album I gave edited JPG's of all files too. It felt good to teach someone a lesson.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:40 AM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I only charge $10k for RAWs with a support package of $10k. For commercial work, it's downright cheap but for weddings, I can see how it can be slightly pricey. It's to protect from any unprofessional conduct as well as maintain my copyright/professional retainers should anything happen. It's a pretty big risk so I feel that $10k covers most normal expenses and then also allows me flexibility to build a separate case or assert copyright at any time.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:44 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

paparazzinick wrote:
I had another client I agreed on $3000 and did the same with them. They called and said the files were all corrupt and they wanted their money back. I said they probably didnt have the software to open raw files. I came over to their house and showed them I can open the files just fine. They said, what do we do now. I handed them a book on raw files and said compliments from me I also gave them a coupon for 10% off Lightroom or Photoshop. I also said I would edit them for $75 an
...Show more

that is so wrong and so hilarious.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:44 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

paparazzinick wrote:
I had a client want the raws once. i agreed on $3500. they said ok. I took my raws did a basic color correct and levels adjustment and slight sharpening then saved them as dng files. which technically is a raw file. I gave them to the client and they were happy as shit.

I had another client I agreed on $3000 and did the same with them. They called and said the files were all corrupt and they wanted their money back. I said they probably didnt have the software to open raw files. I came over to their
...Show more

lol bastard... didn't even edit the photos...

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

been there done that, asked fee i was comfortable with, customer (photographer) wanted to edit photos him self. Original idea was that it would come out cheaper (hey i will edit it my self, you save the time), then he liked idea of edited files and raws on top of that.
I shoot pretty close to what i deliver so was not big issue for me. only thing i changed was that i was messing around with white balance what i usually don't do.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

$5-10K sounds reasonable based on geographic location...everyone has bills to pay. [: That being said does the client even know how to process a say 25MB raw file?!

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

kaycephoto wrote:
Thanks for that advice.. I think I've been making that mistake in my consultations. I love providing full disclosure, but in this case I think it is hurting my presentation in that it is distracting some couples from what is actually important - the quality of the finished work they are getting.

I think Linda made a great point here. Some people will undoubtedly feel that they are not getting all they paid for when you tell them you shoot 1000 (random number) and deliver 3-400.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Some people will undoubtedly feel that they are not getting all they paid for when you tell them you shoot 1000 (random number) and deliver 3-400.

The point some folks here are making is that "all they paid for" includes culling and editing, which requires a combination of your skill, talent, time, and labor. This is why my first response to a query like this is to dig into what they actually want, because so often clients:
1) don't know what "RAW files" means, and
2) don't think about the full value of hiring me until I explain how I deliver that value.

That said, I'm happy to sell RAW files to clients who understand what they're asking for, and who want them for archival purposes. I've never gotten past the education phase of this discussion -- all my clients who've asked about this have really meant they want high-res finished JPG files they can use for printing -- but I'd probably charge $2,000 for the RAW files of the images I deliver in finished format, and maybe $4,000 for the complete set without doing any culling.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:03 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Maybe they would settle for 16 bit tiff's so you could at least color correct them first.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:15 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Why not just ask them why?

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.