Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d3 focus modes for environmental (or general) portraiture?

Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3 focus modes for environmental (or general) portraiture?

Quick question, those with 5d3's, what focus modes do you use for environmental portraiture? Or general portraiture for that matter?

For any type of portraiture, I used to use single point spot focus on the eye, and avoided focus and recompose like the plague. This worked, but it was somewhat time consuming.

Last Saturday, I used zone focus only, over the face, and this seems to work even better. Didn't miss focus once out of 98 photos (and most of them were wide open aperture). I'm using a "group A" lens (85mm f/1.8) p.79 of the manual. In most cases I have the camera turned vertical and the 'top' (right) zone selected, so it's 8 cross points and 8 non-cross points in the zone.

The only other mode I've tried using is automatic mode, which doesn't really do the best job.

Am I just lucky or is the MO that others are using too with this camera?

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:25 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3 focus modes for environmental (or general) portraiture?

I have been using the single point focus for portraiture. The 5DMK3 very nicely remembers one focus point when the camera is in portrait orientation and another when the camera is in landscape orientation. So using a single point has not been to burdensome. But it is good to hear the zone AF works well.

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.