Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

Surf ebay. Copy serial #s. Pay $100.

You're in.

If I wanted to take advantage of the loaner program, that's what I would do.

Alternately, if you would feel guilty about doing this, you could buy some really broken gear on ebay and qualify.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:25 PM
JimN
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

Jon Joshua wrote:
Surf ebay. Copy serial #s. Pay $100.

You're in.

If I wanted to take advantage of the loaner program, that's what I would do.

Alternately, if you would feel guilty about doing this, you could buy some really broken gear on ebay and qualify.

Canon might have an issue when the same serial number turns up registered to twoo different people. I think this is a bad idea.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:37 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

StarNut wrote:
I don't know if the benefits for a non-professional justify the cost (to me; not making a judgment for anyone else), even of the gold program, but Canon clearly is perfectly happy to let anyone join who has purchased enough Canon equipment.

pKai wrote:
Forget the repairs and cleaning.... which are seldom needed unless you shoot in fairly nasty environments and/or beat your gear around. I'd say the loaner program ALONE is worth the $100.

So right! I've always wanted to try out the TSE lenses and the 500f4, so I joined a month ago when I needed a repair done. The repair savings in nothing compared to the savings of renting lenses for evaluation. It may not be as convenient as a rental for a planned trip because availability isn't the same, but it's perfect for evaluating equipment.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:17 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

ggreene wrote:
It is a great program for just about everyone now. I did like the original idea though that actual working pros would get priority and not just some Dentist with a 1DX.

Don't judge. Up to canon but I wouldn't apply that comment to some dentist. You probably don't realize professional oral photography is an important aspect of treatment f/u and evaluation. He probably uses his camera more for his business than you do yours.... IMHO.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:50 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

jerbear00 wrote:
Don't judge. Up to canon but I wouldn't apply that comment to some dentist. You probably don't realize professional oral photography is an important aspect of treatment f/u and evaluation. He probably uses his camera more for his business than you do yours.... IMHO.

Meant only in the context of a well off hobbyist whose income is not affected by equipment availability and you knew damn well what I meant IMHO.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:16 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

ggreene wrote:
Meant only in the context of a well off hobbyist whose income is not affected by equipment availability and you knew damn well what I meant IMHO.

I'm curious why you care who's a member of the program, as long as you get what you want out of the program. Why should a "well off hobbyist" who has bought a lot of expensive equipment from Canon (more than many pros, in many instances) not receive service commensurate with that investment?

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:08 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

I think he was just talking about different facets of the previous program.

The program has different aspects, like on site event support and show support, that are much more geared toward working pros.

Let's just leave it at that. No need to derail the thread.

Oct 03, 2012 at 09:44 PM
cbres00
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

100% of my photography income comes from photography.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:08 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

anthonygh wrote:
What is the benefit of this arrangement to Canon is a question I'd like answering?

Canon seems to want to dictate who is defined as a pro photographer and then determine the nature of the gear that pro needs to use.

As someone who was semi pro by choice ( I also run a college photography department) my camera systems of choice were film based...as my work was B+W art orientated and I much prefer the aesthetics of film generated imagery.

So despite using Canon gear for 95% of my work for four decades (and still owning most of what I have used)
...Show more

Have you tried joining the Nikon equivalent? You must be nominated by a existing pro member. Nikon is serious about it, while Canon takes you at your word.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:43 PM
ssnap
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

I posted in the wrong post, apologies.

Edited on Oct 06, 2012 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2012 at 04:08 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

anthonygh wrote:
Canon seems to want to dictate who is defined as a pro photographer and then determine the nature of the gear that pro needs to use.

Its their sandbox - you want to play in it - you abide by their rules

Oct 06, 2012 at 04:22 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How strict are Canon CPS rules?

At a recent Canon event I asked a Canon staffer about CPS. He said it was equipment point based and if your have the right amount of points, you could take a shot at membership.

Oct 08, 2012 at 01:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.