Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Hello,
Not certain where to post this, but...
Looking for a small camera to have on hand pretty much all the time.
Has anyone had these two items?
Possibly at the same time?
I would love to hear of pros and cons of each, and peoples opinions, thoughts, etc., especially from owners of these two items.
Thanks!

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:21 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

The sony blows the canon out of the water. I don't even understand why your hesitating. No contest here

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:44 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

I happily own the RX-100; I just tried for a few seconds the GX1, but it looked to me sadly old: firstly, the low light slooooow AF...
Arguably better IQ, though.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:10 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

G1X has better IQ, but it is fairly big. If I am looking for a smallish primary camera, I might consider it (but its size and weight is approaching M43 system).

If you have other cameras and looking for a small camera to be with you all the time, definitely the RX-100. If you get a G1X you might end up looking for another smaller camera.

I have RX-100 and M43 so I knew I want something even smaller than G1X.

The downside of RX-100 is lack of close-focusing ability, but I have a 52mm 250D filter (purchased for 50 1.8 OSS but it is a little too strong for SEL501.8) and it is perfect for RX-100.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:53 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

no contest, the rx100 is 1/4th the size and focuses faster. the g1x is ridiculously large for what it is.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:57 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Thanks to all.
Maybe new purchase this Friday.

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

RX100 without any doubt. Mine keeps surprising me. The G1X is too large for what it offers and I prefer the colors of the RX100.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

I suggest you try before you buy. I am a long term G10 user and am seriously considering the G1X. My local store let me try one and the images are pretty good...by any standard...and I found it to be a very nice camera to manipulate.

As for size......it slipped into the same jacket pocket my G10 lives in. The viewfinder is dire compared to a DSLR but it is still worth having and I tend to use the one on my G10 for 95% of my pics......with no problems. Basically it is a pretty small body for a crop size sensor with a zoom attached!

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:05 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

anthonygh wrote:
I suggest you try before you buy. I am a long term G10 user and am seriously considering the G1X. My local store let me try one and the images are pretty good...by any standard...and I found it to be a very nice camera to manipulate.

As for size......it slipped into the same jacket pocket my G10 lives in. The viewfinder is dire compared to a DSLR but it is still worth having and I tend to use the one on my G10 for 95% of my pics......with no problems. Basically it is a pretty small body for a crop size
...Show more

Try a Pen E-M5 with the 14-42 or a Sony NEX-5R with the 16-50 and I think you'll have another take on the G1X's IQ. It's not up to what the competition can do with the sensor size or body size (the G1X is pretty comparable to the older m43 sensors, but not to the new 16MP Sony sensor Olympus uses now, let alone the APS-C Sony sensors, this is unsurprising as it uses a cut down version of Canon's long obsolete 18MP APS-C sensor).

The RX100 on the other hand delivers pretty much identical IQ (better at low ISO IMHO) from a smaller 1" sensor in an overall much smaller package.

Oct 02, 2012 at 07:40 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

If the G1X had a lens that retracted flush into the camera body like the rest of the G series, such as the G10 (which I had and liked quite a bit) it would be a great camera.

As it stands though, its just too darn big, especially with how much the lens sticks out, and really too expensive for the performance it offers.

You can pick up a number of m4/3 or Sony NEX models with better performance and access to a far wider selection of lenses, some like the 16-50 making a bit smaller package than the G1X for roughly the same price.

The G1X is just too big, too slow, and too expensive for the IQ it offers.

CSC's can be pretty darn compact and still offer great IQ as m4/3 and the NEX lineup has shown.

Likewise, as Sony has shown with the RX100, a true pocket camera no longer has to have the IQ of a so called "point and shoot".

Game has changed and Canon isn't really keeping up IMHO

Everyone else has some cool and exciting stuff, Fuji with the XE-1, X100 etc and various new lenses, Sony with the NEX6 and some new glass, RX1, RX100, A99, Oly with the new PEN's and EM-5 and a bunch of new glass, Sigma with the DP's, Nikon with the D800 etc

Canon's got some rehashed point and shoots with a small 1/1.7" sensor, a marginal upgrade to the 5DmkII that falls short of the D800 by a good margin and a few other ho hum DSLR's, not to mention a silly little mirrorless offering that seems to have no interest.

They really need to do something big, and fast, because while still a huge company, they hardly are very relevant at least as far as cameras for enthusiast go

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

So, Millsart, why don't you just come out and say you dislike everything Canon?

The G1x is a fabulous camera and does have about the best IQ of any smallish camera. It is not big to me. I usually use a 1DsIII, 5D11 and a 4x5 view camera. One can not say a camera is too big, simply that it is too big for them. You wanna put one in your shirt pocket? Then don't complain about the G1X. It wasn't made for that. My only complaint is the poor macro mode

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:29 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Uhm, while I love my Canon gear, I agree TOTALLY w/ millsart.
Canon has become complacent.
You can find and read all my negative posts, they were made in the hopes that Canon actually reads this crap, and actually does something about their last place standing.
If fan-boys feelings get hurt in doing so, oh well...

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:56 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Jeffrey wrote:
So, Millsart, why don't you just come out and say you dislike everything Canon?

The G1x is a fabulous camera and does have about the best IQ of any smallish camera. It is not big to me. I usually use a 1DsIII, 5D11 and a 4x5 view camera. One can not say a camera is too big, simply that it is too big for them. You wanna put one in your shirt pocket? Then don't complain about the G1X. It wasn't made for that. My only complaint is the poor macro mode

The G1X has better IQ than the RX100 I'am sorry but have you seen the images out of the Sony? I'd say the IQ is comparable to MFT!!!

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

stompyq wrote:
The G1X has better IQ than the RX100 I'am sorry but have you seen the images out of the Sony? I'd say the IQ is comparable to MFT!!!

The G1X has a sensor larger than the M4/3. The only M4/3 that probably provides better IQ is the new 16MP sensor from Oly. For small size, the RX is a good choice, but I agree with Jeffrey, the G1X is a winner, for the niche it fills.

Nothing is perfect for everyone, that's why there are so many models!

Edited on Oct 03, 2012 at 04:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:39 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

I've got nothing for or against Canon Jeffery, I've owned a number of their bodies (and large format printers) over the years, however, unlike you apparently, I Just don't have blind brand loyalty to them.

They had some nice compacts over the years and I especially enjoyed my G10 (still a good camera at base ISO) and my S90 which I upgraded to the S95 and then S100, along with having purchased a few Elphs,most recently a 300HS for a family member. Poor IQ on that one but so ultra compact which was the purchase priority.

I shot Canon professionally for about 10 years as well, up til the 1D mkIII fiasco. Canon CPS swapped bodies for me, I bought new an additonal "blue dot" one and also kept trying all the f/w updates with no luck, still was having focus issues and missing shots, which as a sports photographer, end up costing me money. Went Nikon and haven't looked back.

However, just because I have Nikon DSLR's doesn't mean I love everything Nikon. Their compacts are just as bad, if not worse, than Canons.

I simply like the best gear for my needs, and like many a photographer, it takes innovative gear to meet some of those needs.

Canon simply isn't doing it for me (and seemingly a lot of other people)

The G1x for example isn't exactly a run away sales hit now is it ?

Is the web set ablaze with folks exciting for the G15 ? Not hardly

EOS M ? Yawn, can hardly find a mention of that one

They are just a boring company these days making nothing that interest me.

Glad you like your G1X, but I tried it and didn't care for it at all. I had a NEX7 and EM-5 at the time and frankly I felt both of those gave me better IQ, way more versatility for a same size and much better overall performance.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Gunzorro wrote:
The G1X has a sensor larger than the M4/3. The only M4/3 that probably provides better IQ is the new 16MP sensor from Oly. For small size, the RX is a good choice, but I agree with Jeffrey, the G1X is a winner, for the niche it fills.

Nothing is perfect for everyone, that's why there are so many models!

the extent to which the g1x has a larger sensor than µ4/3 is much smaller than the difference in size between canon aps-c sensors (smaller) and everybody else's aps-c sensors (bigger). i doubt it contributes anything noticeable to anyone in terms of dof and it appears to be worse than all the 16mp µ4/3 sensors.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Fair enough, Millsart.

Oct 03, 2012 at 09:44 PM
canondslr5d

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

The G1X is not for everyone. As a camera enthusiast I have a few of the cameras that the above posters have been comparing to the G1X........E-P3, OMD, X10, X100 (special black edition), NEX 5N and 7 and my wife's RX100........bigger body Sony A55, A77, Canon 7D, 5DMKII, 40D.........film stuff. I've compared and pixel peeped the whole bunch of them. In good light, the G1X IQ from my perspective is more what I look for/appreciate in output than either the X10 or the RX100. The IQ of the remainder are slightly better with the 5D leading the pack of course. The sensor on the G1X teamed up the the zoom makes for a near perfect combination. Put a bad lens on some of the big bodies and the IQ goes to hell unless conditions are perfect......again the G1X is well matched with it's lens. Turning to the RX100.......IQ IMHO falls somewhere between the X10 and E-P3.

Bottom line, when I reach for a smaller bodied camera and I don't know what I'm going to shoot for the day.....It's the OMD first, G1X second and then the X10. The RX100 just feels like any other Sony p&s to me from a handling perspective....The G1X makes my mind work like I was handling a camera from the film days.

So, the RX100 is a super move in the right direction. All the Sony magic, larger sensor in a nice small package.
Is it fun to shoot for me.......not more than a Canon SX260, a very nice Canon compact, P&S. The RX100 is the best pocket camera I've owned to date.....oops, my wife owned.

I've lurked a lot in these forums but recently retired and decided to throw out my personal opinions and observations.
Lots of experience in the watch forums...sales, advice, chat.....I respect individual opinions and the right to express
them. Also, without the brand fanboys the forums wouldn't be any fun to read.

Rob

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

Rob -- Good to get your perspective. You certainly have a wealth of experience and gear to share with us. Glad to have you on the forums.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:13 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon G1X vs Sony RX100, which one, why?

canondslr5d wrote:
The G1X is not for everyone. As a camera enthusiast I have a few of the cameras that the above posters have been comparing to the G1X........E-P3, OMD, X10, X100 (special black edition), NEX 5N and 7 and my wife's RX100........bigger body Sony A55, A77, Canon 7D, 5DMKII, 40D.........film stuff. I've compared and pixel peeped the whole bunch of them. In good light, the G1X IQ from my perspective is more what I look for/appreciate in output than either the X10 or the RX100. The IQ of the remainder are slightly better with the 5D leading the pack of course.
...Show more

Sounds like a breath of fresh air in this "discussion"!

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.