Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2nd camera - opinions

dhb820
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd camera - opinions

I have been thinking of getting a 2nd camera. Getting tired of always changing lenses. I currently have a Canon 5D MarkII. Primarily do wildlife and landscape photography and some people. Any input from forum members would be helpful in making a decision. The price of a new 5D MarkII has dropped and could be an option...thoughts?

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd camera - opinions

I certainly agree about not changing lenses, especially in many dusty outdoor or fast-paced situations. I like two cameras with lenses and leave the bag somewhere else.

If you like the 5D2 and it suits your needs, now might be a great time to buy another.

Or wait a bit and see if the new 6D will equal or surpass the 5D2 at around the same price.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:45 PM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd camera - opinions

Personally, I have to have my second body be the same model as my first, especially if I take both into the field. But I'm a bit of an old fogey anyway.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:53 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd camera - opinions

If you are doing wildlife, maybe a 7d to give you a little more reach and focus speed.

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:09 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd camera - opinions

Since you already have a 5D II, a second one could be a good reserve body. Depending on your time schedule, you might also consider the 5D III - I am quite certain that prices for the new FF model will continue to drop and make it then much more affordable. Personally if asked this question, I would rather vest in glass than buying a new Canon DSLR which are offered currently. I would wait with a new camera purchase.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:15 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd camera - opinions

Betacamman wrote:
Personally, I have to have my second body be the same model as my first, especially if I take both into the field. But I'm a bit of an old fogey anyway.

I prefer having "different horses for different courses"... full frame, 1.3x sensor, and 1.6x sensor (5D3, 1D Mk4, 7D).

Sometimes it's nice to get extra reach or different feature that you primary body doesn't have. If the OP shoots wildlife, then the 1.6x reach of the 7D (without the loss of a stop from a TC) might be nice to have, especially since the 7D uses the same battery and charger as the 5D2/5D3.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd camera - opinions

Recommend a 5D3 for action shots like wildlife and candid people photos.

I use 5D2 for macro (mainly flowers) and wide-angle shots of stationary subjects.

7D has the 100-400 L "permanently" attached. great for butterflies, hummingbirds,

and zoo creatures who tend to hide in dark corners. less lens changing with

three bodies. spreads wear and tear out. almost always have two cameras

with me. sold 1D4 which I regret. perfectly functional with 67k clicks but

banged up which lowered value. Cosmetic appearance of cameras is rated

too highly. They're tools just like the pipe wrenches I used as a plumber.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:48 PM
dhb820
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd camera - opinions

All - thanks for the input.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:16 PM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd camera - opinions

I have a 5DII for landscape and a 7D for wildlife. I cannot think of a better combination. That 1.6 crop factor is a major positive in wildlife photography especially for small birds.

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:29 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd camera - opinions

I have a 7D w/100-400 lens for wildlife. I can't imagine anything beating this combination. I find the 7D with its cropped sensor makes a great companion camera along side the 1DsIII with its full size sensor.
I'd like to see what the new 3D or even the 6D will bring to the table.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:15 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd camera - opinions

5D I comes to mind. I'd probably be more annoyed with carrying a second body, though.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:38 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd camera - opinions

Like many here, I fall into the 5D2+24-105 + 7D+100-400 camp. But it really depends on how reach limited you feel with your 5D2 using the 100-400. You'll get more performance and resolution along with some increased noise and post processing requirements going to the 7D. You'll get some more performance and slightly improved IQ by adding a 5D3.

Oct 03, 2012 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password