Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

So after prepping my room for paint and getting one wall painted, I headed from Arvada up to Boulder for the UCLA and University of Colorado football game. I have been fighting with a miss focusing camera that I think I figured out the next night at the Rapids Galaxy soccer game, but that would be a gear post, so lets get to the game.

I can tell you, I always hated 12pm or 1pm start times to shoot football, but I think I hate 4pm even more. This was my second time at Folsom Field, but I got delayed when the person at the media entrance decided he had to check each of my cameras, have me turn on my computer, and I was totally expecting him to put on a rubber glove.

So I got to the media room, to get my sideline band, and set up my work area, double checked my code replacement file, grabbed some food and looked out at the field. Kind of overcast, so, while I was finishing up my food, I decided to set my cameras up took a couple test shots, all looked good, and headed down to the field. I got down there just in time to see that the sun was going to come out, rendering my settings useless, and changed everything just as the cheerleaders and Ralphie took the field.

So, my first few shots were a little hot until I dialed things in.....and then the shadow came...a third of the field was in shadows....

6. This was a touchdown catch I almost missed. I switched sides near the end of the game, and got stuck between the Bruins and the Bruins cheerleaders, with the Pac-12 media time out official, sound dish chick (who was cute) and Pac-12 TV standing in front of me. While waiting for the cheerleaders to stop flipping and spinning I looked over to see the ball in the air coming right towards me, and standing with my monopod collapsed, I swung the 120-300 around and got it to 120 as quick as I could to grab this....

This cheerleader was almost knocked out when a camera on a crane came swinging around (operator was not paying attention). It was a time out and she was dancing with the other cheer leaders with me sitting on the ground next to her. I looked up, because she was cute and saw the camera coming right at the back of her head and grabbed her leg. She looked at me with a scared look on her face and I yelled DUCK...she seemed pretty happy I saved her life. The other cheerleaders saw the camera almost hit her and all screamed and ran away..this shot was after the camera tried to kill her.

For those of you who shoot in the NCAA stadiums with limited room (Husky stadium was great until the current remodel with the track around the field that you could get from one side to the other quickly. I was on the cheerleader side at the beginning of the game only to see that on the other side of the field, during a time out CU honored Michael Westbrook and Kordell Stewart. No way I could get to the other side to get any shots.... Bummer...Michael Westbrook was always one of my favorite wide receivers.

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:33 PM
andyjh
• •
p.1 #2 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

Nice stuff, and good save on the cheerleader! I've been starting to give a serious look at the Sigma 120-300. How long have you owned it and how well does it track? I shoot SOME football and soccer and just cant' justify the nearly $7,000 for the Canon 300 2.8 for occasional use.

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

I have shot with this lens for close to 5 years. I did a lot of research on the gear boards, both Nikon and Canon, and the general gear board before I started looking on the Buy and Sell board. Lots of great information and shots with this lens found all over the Fred Miranda forums...

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:47 AM
sklar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

ralphie is pretty cool, huh?
i think that's he(i think this iteration is a she?) is one of the coolest traditions in sports
i think i know the ralphie handler second in from the left, too.

some nice shots, as well

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:10 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

Yeah, he is cool...or she... I am trying to find a good location on Folsom field to get a good shot of Ralphie, the Buffs flag running behind, and the student section going wild....

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

1 and 5 are my favs for some reason. Must be excellent compostition and lighting.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:56 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

I think the girl in #7 owes you big time. She should go out for dinner and a movie with me so I can tell her what a great guy you are for saving her. Or something like that.

Nice work as always CA.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

Thanks for the comments.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:29 AM
ChrisFWilson
• •
p.1 #9 · 2012 NCAA Pac-12 Football UCLA vs CU

Agree with DJ - saving a life definitely deserves dinner. And Carl, when Colorado once again has a good football team I think you'll truly appreciate the 4:00pm start as compared to the 8:30 start!

As for the photos - love that shot of Ralphie. I'd crop a few a little tighter, but that's just me!

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password