Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Best I can tell there are currently 4 "affordable" Canon FF cams: 1DsIII (used), 5DII, 5DIII, and the yet to arrive 6D. (At close to $7k the 1Dx just doesn't make economic sense in my market.) I had to sell off my 1DsII to help fund a 1DIV purchase. Sport paid better than art. The 1DIV is a truly nice camera, but it doesn't have the IQ my 1DsII had (at least to ISO <=800). The IV wasn't, of course, designed to compete with an FF camera.

I see 1DsIIIs at ~ $2400, the 5DII at $1800, the 5DIII at $3500, though price is softening, and the 6D at $2100. So affordable runs from $1800 to $3K+. I need a camera for landscape, macro, and "art" work. With a real stretch and some debt I can could gin up the cash for the 5DII. The question is would I be better advised holding on till I have enough for a 1DsIII or even the 5DIII if the price does indeed come down?

I've followed commentary on the 5DII since its introduction and the principle complaint (other than the continuous "Canon DR blows threads" is its "rudimentary" AF capacity.

This question is aimed at those who have used the 5DII for the above mentioned types of photography and in particular those who have moved on to the 5DIII. How well does/did the 5DII work in normal light situations? (Say up to ISO 1600.) Are you (were you) basically happy with the IQ this camera delivers? Is the current 2X premium for the 5DIII worth it in your mind?

The 5DII and the 1DsIII are both "old" technology, though that certainly doesn't mean that they aren't capable of outstanding work. The 1DsIII advantage would be that I'd share batteries, chargers and L brackets with the 1DIV.

I'm sure given the recent price announcements others are having similar thoughts. Care to share what you are thinking?

Thanks,

Robert

One of the "kinks" in my thinking is that I'm seeing quite credible sports work done with a 5DIII. The AF apparently really is good. It's possible it could be a second body as well as used for other work. Serious head scratching going on here. The other thing happening is that I'm starting to get requests (only a few) for portrait work. I've never done this, but money is being offered

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:21 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

I honestly was in the same dilemma with the 1dIV's baby brother- the 7D. In fact, I was truly considering replacing the 7D with a 5DII when I saw news of the big price drop.

I then figured I will be losing out on a lot of features that my 7D has, and I can frankly live with the IQ right now even if I do miss out on high ISO performance. I decided to save till Black Friday and see if there are any good deals on the 5D3.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:31 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

I need a camera for landscape, macro, and "art" work.

If that's the case, then I'd suggest waiting for the 6D. Landscape and macro you can do with MF though the 97% VF might get annoying sometimes, but then you can always use the WiFi and your Android/iOS device if you're using a tripod. Just make sure your tripod has a spirit level because the 6D only has one axis level.

The 6D SHOULD also be sufficient for portrait work if you don't mind the old school "focus and recompose".

If you want the camera to be your backup Sports body, then you'd have to get the 5D3, otherwise wait for the 6D.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Sounds like you are on solid ground now and preparing to take off for the neverending upgrade dream

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:33 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Robert, you don't miss anything last couple years so why not wait another year...by that time you have plenty cheaper bodies and more options to play with.

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

OnTheRez -- The price range is even wider, with used 5D2's going down to $1500 (maybe even possible slightly lower now!). That's a great camera. If you don't mind flipping gear, get one of these now, and wait that year for the 5D3 and 6D to come down in price. Why not enjoy better imaging right away, then sell to finance the next one?

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:02 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

OntheRez wrote:
Best I can tell there are currently 4 "affordable" Canon FF cams: 1DsIII (used), 5DII, 5DIII, and the yet to arrive 6D.

You missed the most affordable FF camera, the 5D MK I. If you can find a little used one in the $600 range, then you can add some good glass.

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:22 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

get all the glass you can eat, use it on the Canon 5D MKI, and enjoy. Seriously though, the classic is an excellent camera, and with superior glass, including some Zeiss, you cant falter!

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:24 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

how bad do you need a backup? If it not that bad, then save the money and get a 5D mkII. For portrait work the extra cost of the MKIII doesn't get you much. I you think you want a MKIII as a backup, then hold out for a while an see if you can score one under 3k.

-Brian

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

I've been without a FF camera now for about 4 months. I finally got around to processing all the pix I took on my last "run to the rocks" in August which were all taken with the 1DIV. There are certainly some perfectly good pix in the pile, but I really can tell the difference between those and earlier work done with a 1DsII.

I do have pretty good glass including a 24mm f/3.5L TSE II which is capable of amazing images. Frankly I don't have good control of its TS functions yet. Need to work with it a lot more.

Gunzorro, I did a search for used 5DII at B&S and I really feel for guys trying to sell them used. Many are asking $1500-1600. For a couple hundred more one can get a new with full warranty. Got to be hard on these guys. I actually held on to my 1DsII a bit long because I really didn't expect the 5DIII to effect its price like it did. I almost always buy used hoping to find that sweet spot where I can sell my existing camera for enough to make a significant step towards its replacement. In the case of the 1DIV even selling both the 1DIII and the 1DsII I still needed quite a bit of cash.

Mttran and Hulot, does seem like an infinite treadmill. I've been in computing since about 1980 and I truly don't want to know what the "total accumulated cost of ownership for current computer." I do remember observing somewhere in maybe the late '80's that "The computer I really want is always about $3k+." This has held remarkably true over 30 years of using the things.

As attractive as the 5DIII is, it really does seem to be demanding a premium at the moment.

As for the original 5D, I did forget it. Odd how we think an 11Mp camera is "quaint" now. I need to dig around and look at some of the work created with it. Could be a good stop gap until the FF market stabilizes a bit.

As for "focus and recompose" I seem to do that a lot with whatever camera I have so that's not a problem.

Appreciate the viewpoints you've all shared.

Robert

Oct 02, 2012 at 12:56 AM
hayduke

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

I would advise a new 5d2 -- the current price of 1800 makes it THE affordable full-frame people have been screaming for. AF wise its capable enough, especially if you focus-recompose. It's an awesome camera for the price. Otherwise a used 5D for well under $1000 is hard to beat - if 12mpx is enough for you then its a great camera at a cheap price. One thing i would suggest is that you buy one that has had the mirror serviced by canon -- if it hasnt then it will pop out eventually: mine did after about 20,000 clicks.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:16 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

After 1D you own it would be tough to deal with 5dII AF. Otherwise great body.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

n0b0 wrote:
but then you can always use the WiFi and your Android/iOS device

That will also require shooting in jpgs I believe. What would you do with large raw on such device and how many shots would you save there, less than on another CF card in your pocket? Half of my iOS device space taken by Playboy magazines anyway

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:09 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Breitling65 wrote:
After 1D you own it would be tough to deal with 5dII AF. Otherwise great body.

"Thereby hangs the tale." Having owned 6 1D bodies, my hands think that is what a camera feels like. I'm continually amazed at how powerful "muscle memory" is. I know many believe they are "too heavy, too awkward," but truthfully when I'm hiking, climbing for a picture the weight is in the lenses (and here in the desert, the water). The body weight isn't really the issue. I don't have the means to compare a 5DII and a 1DsIII IQ. I know those with the 5DII are generally quick to sing the praises of its IQ (and promptly diss its AF failings), but I strongly suspect the 1DsIII file to be superior to the 5DII. Of course we know its AF is light-years better.

I got my significant other a 60D as she wanted to move up from a P&S. Nice little cam. Put even a 70-200 f/2.8 on it and there's no balance point. With a 400 f/5.6 it is sort of absurd. I know the 5D form factor is bigger, but wonder about the balance. Again, the problem of living too far from any city where there might be a camera store. I've never actually held a 5D(anything) whereas even though I haven't touched a 1DsIII, I know how it will feel.

As for WiFi and all, I don't work in a studio and certainly am not carrying any more gear than I have to, so I doubt that will work for me. Just how well do these "eyefi" cards do with 24MB RAW files from an FF camera? Guess I'm tending towards the 1DsIII.

Robert

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:40 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

OntheRez wrote:
This question is aimed at those who have used the 5DII for the above mentioned types of photography and in particular those who have moved on to the 5DIII. How well does/did the 5DII work in normal light situations? (Say up to ISO 1600.) Are you (were you) basically happy with the IQ this camera delivers? Is the current 2X premium for the 5DIII worth it in your mind?

One of the "kinks" in my thinking is that I'm seeing quite credible sports work done with a 5DIII. The AF apparently really is good. It's possible it could be a second
...Show more

IQ wise 5DII will fit the bill perfectly for all you want it to do, besides sports. I would suggest picking it up on the next canon refurb camera sale for around $1400 and start enjoying it.

W.r.t. your "Kink", it is true 5DIII's af is superb and even @ 6fps will do well for many sports. ( I use it for BIF). But you are looking a double the price in future. 5DII new / refurb prices are near bottom right now and a good time to make a "value" purchase.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Rez -- I'm very like you in that I like a big body with some inertia to balance and maneuver lenses around. Adding a battery grip to the 5D2 (and the 60D) will improve them immensely. I find it relatively hard to tell the difference between the 5D2/grip and 1Ds2 when I use them together. I only take the grip off the 60D when I want a really light rig, which is seldom. One of my favorite lenses is the 28-300L and that needs a good anchor to pull it into position.

Like you, I'd like a 1Ds3, 5D3/grip, or 1DX, but it ain't gonna happen for a while. So for now, I enjoy the 5D2/grip and the 1Ds2, with the 60D in the wings as needed.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:21 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

Breitling65 wrote:
That will also require shooting in jpgs I believe. What would you do with large raw on such device and how many shots would you save there, less than on another CF card in your pocket? Half of my iOS device space taken by Playboy magazines anyway

I'm not sure what you mean by having to shoot in jpegs also.

I'm not sure I want to save any RAW on the device, I only suggested using Android/iOS device to compensate for the 97% VF when doing landscape or macro on a tripod. You should be able to save the RAW in the camera's CF card.

My current Android, only has 32GB internal memory extended by another 64GB in the form of a micro SD card. I got plenty of space.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:43 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buy the 5DII now, or keep saving??

I'd consider a 1Ds II. They sold for $1200 recently. If you can find one that's in excellent condition, it'd beat a 5D I, for sure, and compete with a 5D II (better AF, worse resolution). Whether the 5D III is worth the price bump depends on the buyer's utility function. If it means you can't pay rent, then no. If it means holding off for a month for the Porsche, then, sure, why not. For what it's worth, what I value most in the 5D III is that it has the AF characteristics of earlier 1 cameras, and significantly better color accuracy at high ISO / low light. Lots of other stuff is nice, too, like the quiet shutter, but those are the two factors that *I* was willing and able to pay the bump up for.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password