New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Close Enough ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Close Enough ...

and wide enough ... courtesy of the Oly 18 and three images stitched together vertically.

Likely it is too close to the edge.
If you see it from the side view, you realize that this is actually a slight overhang. Had I seen that first before I set up for the shot ...

Edited on Oct 01, 2012 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Close Enough ...

The side view (as seen before) for reference.

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Close Enough ...

Looks familiar, especially that second one. I do like both views, but would like to seem then without tripods and feet.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Close Enough ...

Thanks Ben,

The tripod and the feet were specifically "the point" of doing the vertical pano.

The intended message to be conveyed from the image is about the photographer and his quest for "the (iconic) shot" in self-portrait style. I think my favorite part is the shadow from my legs that extend into oblivion via the abyss-like canyon.

Maybe even my own "little taunt" at Peter Lik's "From the Edge". That and hopefully a bit of "take you there" as not too many people get to the vantage point that the camera was able to reach. I would have really liked to have had a long boom, but ... well, you know ... I don't have a film crew following me around.

Feel free to play for dramatic effect if something comes to mind at what can be done to enhance the intended message.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:40 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Close Enough ...

Bob

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Close Enough ...

Yes, Bob, that's what I meant.

Rusty, I guess I am too conservative for the effect to work on me. I do get a bit of vertigo looking at yours or Bobs rework.

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:39 PM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Close Enough ...

Looks like a call place to take pictures. My two cents, you need to be in the photo for it to work (more than your foot). I think it works better on your second shot, but the first one does lend itself to a feel of vertigo. Just my two cents, you can take it or leave it, I am probably wrong.

Thanks for posting these, I am really enjoying the view on the second one. - Paul

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:07 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Close Enough ...

I really like both.
While I wish the feet and tripod legs werent there, I love the shadows and the vertiginous effect. Preserved in Bob's rework.
Second must have been a tough exposure and I think it works. I would be tempted to subtly lift the shadows. Nothing HDRish, mind you. Just a tad lighter.

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Close Enough ...

Thanks guys.

The vertigo effect is definitely part of the goal. Bob's rework presents a case for losing the legs (tripod & mine). Looking at the second one again (having posted it months ago), It seems it could use some refinement.

This series for HB will likely be some that I work again (I'll try not to bore you with them too often). The exposure is definitely been a challenge, but I did get do some bracketing to work with, as I get around to trying the different versions.

Another piece of the puzzle is the color balance variance between the cool deep shadows of the canyon vs. the warm morning light ... definitely not ideal lighting by any stretch ... but the "whirlwind tour" from Page, HB, GC & Hoover Dam from morning to sunset didn't afford an opportunity to be choosy @ time of day.

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Close Enough ...

I like the idea that your feet and tripod were part of the original image. It anchored the image for me.

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Close Enough ...

Also gives a sense of scale.

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.