Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Exdsc wrote:
I'm a V1 owner and I have lauded its qualities but I think as a system Nikon 1 has failed.

Care to elaborate?

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.3 #2 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Andre Labonte wrote:
Care to elaborate?

$899 to $299 in less than one year?

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Exdsc wrote:
$899 to $299 in less than one year?

For the V1 ... classic drop for a high-tech item that is initially over-priced. That is a failure of marketing and price setting, not the system. The J1 has not seen a similar drop and the V2 appears to redress the technical shortcomings of the V1 (though perhaps not the price & marketing aspect).

I think it is too early to say that the Nikon 1 system is a failure.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.3 #4 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Andre Labonte wrote:
For the V1 ... classic drop for a high-tech item that is initially over-priced. That is a failure of marketing and price setting, not the system. The J1 has not seen a similar drop and the V2 appears to redress the technical shortcomings of the V1 (though perhaps not the price & marketing aspect).

I think it is too early to say that the Nikon 1 system is a failure.

I'm not going to argue about the fate of Nikon 1 because frankly speaking it does not interest me, but as a Nikon V1 user at least for me the Nikon 1 system has failed. I will not put any more good money behind bad money, which means no more Nikon 1 lenses etc. for me.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

Exdsc wrote:
I'm not going to argue about the fate of Nikon 1 because frankly speaking it does not interest me, but as a Nikon V1 user at least for me the Nikon 1 system has failed. I will not put any more good money behind bad money, which means no more Nikon 1 lenses etc. for me.

Ah, that is an entirely different conversation. In what way has it failed you? After all, by your own admission, you spoke of lauding its qualities. So clearly it has qualities you like but still you feel it failed you. Care to elaborate?

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:37 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.3 #6 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

So I purchased a V1 and was thinking it would be nice if it had WiFi capabilities like my smart phone, I was looking at SD cards and I notice there is a WiFi SD card, has anyone tried these cards? what do you think?
sorry for taking this topic into a another direction

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

david debalko wrote:
So I purchased a V1 and was thinking it would be nice if it had WiFi capabilities like my smart phone, I was looking at SD cards and I notice there is a WiFi SD card, has anyone tried these cards? what do you think?

Ironic that the card makers have thought of this and not the camera makers. The smart thing for camera maker to do would be to forget implementing Wi-Fi into the camera but make a cable that connects the camera to an independet modular Wi-Fi unit and/or you cell phone. No point in trying to recreate the functionality that's already built into the phone; rather, take advantage of it and make integration with the phone easy. If camera makers don't do this, then cell phone cameras are going to take over the low-end camera market to a greater degree than they already have.

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

monochrome
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

david debalko wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about Eye-Fi, someone gave me a ProX2 card last year, never used it. But will now just for the reason you posted about. Eye-Fi has iPhone and Droid app, so it should be a piece of cake...

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:05 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.3 #9 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

I saw the J1 with lens for $ 399 , it might have been $ 299, last night at the local Walmart. It was white, which looks ugly to me. Don't know if they had it in black.
They also had a D 3200 camera next to it. I didn't know that they were that small!

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:05 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

B&H has a full kit (V1, 10-30 and 30-110) for about 450 today.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

DavidWEGS wrote:
B&H has a full kit (V1, 10-30 and 30-110) for about 450 today.

Yea, I saw that too .... must resist temptation ... what I realy want is the V2

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

if you wait, i believe the v2 will suffer a similar fate. i think nikon is mispricing these cameras. they need to slot in between a high end p&s and the mainstream dx dslr imo...so they misjudged badly on the v1 and are dumping the excess at prices that are now imo too low....

and the best kit is the big kit for $799--v1, 10-30, 10-100, flash, and ft-1 adaptor. that kit is a steal, worth the better part of $1k even at these depressed prices.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Nikon V1 Reduced to $399 with 10-30 Lens

cohenfive wrote:
if you wait, i believe the v2 will suffer a similar fate. i think nikon is mispricing these cameras. they need to slot in between a high end p&s and the mainstream dx dslr imo...so they misjudged badly on the v1 and are dumping the excess at prices that are now imo too low....

and the best kit is the big kit for $799--v1, 10-30, 10-100, flash, and ft-1 adaptor. that kit is a steal, worth the better part of $1k even at these depressed prices.

+10 ... and in principle, the Nikon 1 cameras should be cheeper to build than the low-end DSLRs. Marketing did a bad job ... the Nikon 1 looks like a great system, but it may get killed by marketing, not by its technical specs.

I also agree about that kit ... I just don't have the $800 to dump into it or I would even if I prefer the V2 ... I'd live with the V1 until the V3 came out.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:30 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password