Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

borismilan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Hi guys, I haven't been around here long but im always lurking and reading great forum
I have decided to move from Canon to Nikon and get the D600! (last year I toyed with the idea of getting a d7000 but stayed the curse with Canon)
The popup up flash commander, the 100% viewfinder, the 3.2 screen, the crop mode are little things that are important to me.
I am going to sell all my Canon gear, 60D, Grip, Flash, 17-50, 18-135 50 1.4 35 f2 85 1.8 and some more stuff
All comes at around 3000$ for a budget
My question is: what to get with the D600?
A: Should I get the KIT 24-85VR and a SB700 flash (flash photo for me is important)
B: Should I think of getting a Tamron 24-70VC? (That is above budget for about 300$) and slowly grow again?
C: What would you suggest

As a background I shoot a little of everything, lots of travel and family events, some softball but also some more serious things like Portraits for Real state agents, first communions and family portraits along more Model mayhem models here an there.
When I do more serious stuff I tend to use primes more than zooms, sharper, smaller, lighter.

I will be starting from scratch, so slowly I will be adding a 50 1.8G, a 85 1.8G and probably a 70-300 or a 80-200
My flickr if you are at all interested is here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37403894@N08/

What do you think? A or B or what, I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments?

BTW, I know that FF and moving to Nikon will not make me a better photog, but I have been curious of Nikon for some time now and I like the idea of discovering the brand etc I could get a great 5D2 for 1800 but is not the camera I want at this time.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!!

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:11 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

The kit lens is quite good for the price point.
I tested it along with a 28 1.8G and at 24-28, while the 28 was better, I don't think it was a huge difference in terms of image quality at f4. Ofcourse if you need the speed, the 24-85 isn't really a fast lens.
The VR works quite well and I quite appreciate the feature in zooms that cross 50mm on FF.

I think the 24-75 Tamron might be a better purchase, or even the 28-75 Tamron if you want something a bit faster.

The D600 will be a significant upgrade over the 60D. I was amazed at the IQ from this camera even when compared to the D800 it doesn't disappoint.

I have the 28 1.8 and the 85 1.8. I hardly ever use the 50 1.8 which I also own. Just not one of my preferred focal lengths.

The 28/85 are excellent!

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:17 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Thank you
I am really considering the Kit lens as it allows me to get the SB700 flash
I had a Tamron 28-75 and did not love the lens as the AF was very temperamental, I am sure the new 24-70vc is better, but I see the Tamron with a little bit of fear as is not really a bargain, still a 1300$ lens.

Is great to know that the kit lens is good compared to the 700$ 28 f1.8.. I am not too much of a wide angle shooter, but I'll give the thought about your suggestion

I shoot quite a bit with my 35mm f2 on my crop , fairly a 50mm on FF, also I used to own a classic 5D and my 85mm was a beauty on that camera.. the 85 f1.8 will be must buy for me eventually

I expect the D600 to be major upgrade for me in Dynamic Range and Low light ISO capability, I am very excited about it

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

If you don't need the speed (and who really does, with that high-ISO performance), the 24-85 VR kit lens is surprisingly good for the price.

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:54 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

I recently made the same move with about the same budget I went with:

D600
SB-700 *used*
Tamron 28-75 *used*
Nikon 28 1.8G *used*
Nikon 85 1.8G
Nikon 180 2.8 *used*

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:01 PM
AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

One word of advice, keep your eyes open for the glass you like on the Buy/Sell forum here on fredmiranda.com. Used glass can be bought at significant savings and may help you to stretch your budget.

Good luck.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:08 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Amaji Thanks! Yes I am not shy about getting used glass, most of what I have is used or refurbished

Rioni, I used to have a 28-75 and while it gave me some very nice images I hated the AF and ended up selling the lens, plus a 24mm to 85 could be of significance to me

Thanks for chiming in, rioni may I ask you about the prices you found used these lens?

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:46 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

rioni wrote:
I recently made the same move with about the same budget I went with:

D600
SB-700 *used*
Tamron 28-75 *used*
Nikon 28 1.8G *used*
Nikon 85 1.8G
Nikon 180 2.8 *used*

Rioni, are you coming from Canon? What did you have and how the transition its been for you so far
Are you happy?

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:58 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

The 28-75 non-BIM is probably the fastest focusing lens that I own. Maybe you had the BIM version on Canon? Re: moving from Canon, I've been really impressed. I had a 5D2 on Canon and later NEX7 on Sony and I've been most impressed with the insane resolution, shadow preservation/DR and extremely accurate matrix metering. Also, I have the used prices paid posted below:

SB700 225
28 1.8G 525
28-75 non-BIM 225 *ebay*
180 2.8 (latest D version) 400 *ebay*

borismilan wrote:
Amaji Thanks! Yes I am not shy about getting used glass, most of what I have is used or refurbished

Rioni, I used to have a 28-75 and while it gave me some very nice images I hated the AF and ended up selling the lens, plus a 24mm to 85 could be of significance to me

Thanks for chiming in, rioni may I ask you about the prices you found used these lens?

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:24 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

rioni wrote:
The 28-75 non-BIM is probably the fastest focusing lens that I own. Maybe you had the BIM version on Canon? Re: moving from Canon, I've been really impressed. I had a 5D2 on Canon and later NEX7 on Sony and I've been most impressed with the insane resolution, shadow preservation/DR and extremely accurate matrix metering. Also, I have the used prices paid posted below:

SB700 225
28 1.8G 525
28-75 non-BIM 225 *ebay*
180 2.8 (latest D version) 400 *ebay*

Thanks Rioni, I am not sure what BIM or non BIM means
Definitively great prices, I am usually not very lucky on bargain prices, but usually
...Show more

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rioni
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Non-BIM is Non Built in Motor. The lens utilizes the in-camera motor.

borismilan wrote:

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:38 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Mmm, not sure about that, I had it for some time with my 40D
I did not know the was a Tamron 28-75 with a motor and another without, how can you find out?

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:41 PM
maneatingshark
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

I believe that Canon lenses all use built-in motors (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Nikon bodies often have motors to power the autofocus via a screw in the mount which is often faster than third-party built in AF in my experience. In my own experience the non-BIM Tamron lenses are usually superior.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:29 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

I wonder if the Tamron performs better with the Nikon AF system - it is much-loved in Nikon circles, but I never get the same degree of warmth from the Canon crowd.

In any case, I think it would be worth having another look at - I love mine...

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:10 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

M635_Guy wrote:
I wonder if the Tamron performs better with the Nikon AF system - it is much-loved in Nikon circles, but I never get the same degree of warmth from the Canon crowd.

In any case, I think it would be worth having another look at - I love mine...

Wel that is the conclusion I get from the comments , that for some reason the "Motor less" Tamron is better on Nikon, than the Canon versions
I do remember I hated mine on a 40D and my 5Dc, while it did give me some really nice, sharp images with nice contrast, that was only WHEn IT FOCUSED!
Perhaps I should revisit that lens on my journey to Nikon?

I am selling my stuff and cant wait to get my new toys? (Yeah I sound like a teenager)

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:29 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

Og BTW how can I find out what version of the Tamron you are buying ? (with motor or without the motor)

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:29 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

I believe you can tell by the amount of pins on the mount. The non-BIM ver is 5 pin.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:53 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

The 24-85 is really great in the center even wide open. Corners on the other hand, not so good on full frame, even stopped down. So depends on if you care about that or not.

Might be well off with say, 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8. Add Nikon or Tamron 24-70mm and 70-300 later.

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:34 PM
borismilan
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I need some advice from you Nikon guys (moving to Nikon)

woos wrote:
The 24-85 is really great in the center even wide open. Corners on the other hand, not so good on full frame, even stopped down. So depends on if you care about that or not.

Might be well off with say, 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8. Add Nikon or Tamron 24-70mm and 70-300 later.

Well did some reading and I think this will be my game plan:

Ill get the D600 with kit lens and a SB700 : The reason being because I do a lot of casual images like Properties for real state, family meetings some travel, My wife also takes the camera from time to time, so it looks that this lens is wide enough for many things and just plain practical

Later down the road I will add:
Nikon 70-300 VR (sosftball, soccer and eventual portraits)
Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D (Looks like a nice lens -the f1.8 is extremely expensive for me at this ttime for the use I am going to give it)
Nikon 85 f1.8 G (This is to me a must have)
Probably a Nikon 50 f1.8 G just because is inexpensive to have

One lens that cough my eye is the old Nikon 28-70 f2.8, used can be had a a more realistic 800$ to 1000$ is this a good lens or will the Tamron 24-70 VC be a better candidate?

What do you think?

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password