Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

If you do place the focus depth properly to it's wishes it can do wonders, I mean a zoom that is corner to corner sharp at 24mm on a FF at f/3.5, JPEG SOC (ignore the upper right since those leaves in front were just way too close):
24mm f/3.5

I will show a sample though that shows even at 50mm what happens if you place focus too close for it's wishes, utter blur city at f/6.3 all but the very center when the 50mm 1.4 doing the same focused same spot is crisp edge to edge, move 24-70 focus back to deepest back branch and then it is sharp edge to edge.

It may be easier for some scenes but for others it may be a bit trickier to use, sometimes, but it seems if you use it as it wishes it can do CRAZY stuff for a zoom (or even a prime).

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:20 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

thanks for the post. very good, though not sharp corner to corner, esp towards the top and bottom edge, left and right in portrait orientation, but may be a dof issue. certainly very good, and honestly corner to corner sharpness wide open is a bit overrated, except in an ultrawide where there is decent dof.
the lens seems to perform the best at 24 mm.

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:41 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

Top and bottom corner do not appear to be in the focal plane, hence the softness. Optical performance looks very impressive to me.

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

So there is field curvature up close? I usually test at about 12 ft and the lens seems fine in the corners.

EBH

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

kevindar wrote:
thanks for the post. very good, though not sharp corner to corner, esp towards the top and bottom edge, left and right in portrait orientation, but may be a dof issue. certainly very good, and honestly corner to corner sharpness wide open is a bit overrated, except in an ultrawide where there is decent dof.
the lens seems to perform the best at 24 mm.

well in teh very extreme corner it's a touch softer, but that part of the image doesn
t matter too much. the upper right blur was all because those leaves were wayyy close so not within DOF

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

My 24-70 II tends to have a softer right hand side closer to infinity. Sometimes the right is just as sharp as the left, other times much softer. Even with very even subjects (let's say a building) I always notice softer right side. Only at 24mm though. In the forground though, the right side is razor sharp at the very edge. Very weird behavior to say the least... Sometimes its amazing, other times soft. Mind you, I am talking the very edge of the frame. Maybe 1/8th of the image.

Needless to say, I called Canon CPS and they sent me a prepaid overnight label and its going to them. They told me they can correct such an issue. So I sent with my body as well so after they fix the lens (if they can) they can calibrate it to my body. I just had my 5D3 there with my 70-200 and extender last week and they did a great job calibrating them together. I required something like +6 and +8 on the telephoto end before calibration, now both are at 0. My 24-70 was roughly -3 or -4 on the wide end, +2 or +3 on telephoto end.

I don't mind though... My copy is stunning end to end, and after hearing about some variations on the wide end vs the tele end, I did not want to exchange it (plus pay shipping and all that). So I will let them work their magic and see what is up, if anything. May just be some strange field curvature on one side. I know two other people so far with the same thing, except it happens on the left side for them.

I am extremely happy though otherwise. I love this lens. I just hope they can easily nudge that right side into alignment or whatever it is! Minor issue, but a little annoying for a $2300 optic.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-70 II, 24mm, f/3.5, full sample, SHARP corner to corner

Invertalon wrote:
My 24-70 II tends to have a softer right hand side closer to infinity. Sometimes the right is just as sharp as the left, other times much softer. Even with very even subjects (let's say a building) I always notice softer right side. Only at 24mm though. In the forground though, the right side is razor sharp at the very edge. Very weird behavior to say the least... Sometimes its amazing, other times soft. Mind you, I am talking the very edge of the frame. Maybe 1/8th of the image.

Needless to say, I called Canon CPS and they sent
...Show more

yeah, it sort of seems like that for me, but perhaps on the left. I haven't tested it enough, maybe it is even on my lens. It is definitely there if you don't place focus deep into the scene, you can go from f/8 only the center sharp to f/3.5 corner to corner sharp depending how deep you place focus, maybe it loves hyperfocal focusing?

when it's gotten right it appears to be stunning I think but I need to experiment and use it more

still appears to be remakable PF/LoCA resistant, I think

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password