Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Computer System Upgrade: Im in Namibia

Chris Johnston

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Computer System Upgrade: Im in Namibia

Greetings from the edge of the map:

Iím based in a tiny town at the edge of the Namib Desert in Central Namibia; I have a fine studio, ample subject matter and a decent albeit small business. With the growth of the business I have outstripped my computer system.

Currently I have:
Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Q9550 2.8GHz
8GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT

5 internal SATA Drives
2 External 8.5TB combined

Dual Monitors

I am traveling to Germany next week and know that there is a district in Berlin where discount components are available. Nothing is cheap here, and worse good stuff is hard to find.

So my general question is this:

I want to upgrade, MOBO, CPU, Ram to near current top of the line. I donít care if itís AMD or Intel.

I want to have a 1TB C drive, 1-2TB internal for music, 2-3TB internals for working image drives, one dedicated to Lightroom the other as a main library drive. I then want to have 12TB external, I have enclosure that is just a bunch of Drives that will 4 3TB drives, but it will not be a raid set.

I would like to keep my NVIDIA card.

Is there any reason why I can't use VGA compliant 28" Samsung HiDef LCD TV's as monitors? They are readily avialable and not horrible expensive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have lost the plot on current gear.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:31 AM
400d
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Computer System Upgrade: Im in Namibia

A few things come to mind:
-invest in SSD for the OS and cache used by Adobe software
-16-24GB RAM is reasonable
-i2600k/i3770k are great performers for the money
-invest in an IPS monitor, they are inexpensive these days
-storage wise, everyone has their own preference. I swung for RAID 10 and external drives for backup (2 individual sets and stored off site recommended). The NAS boxes today are fairly easy to configure and loaded with features, you can find related reviews on Newegg or Amazon before deciding.

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password