Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

Anyone here with such a system for your body- do you find it useful and worth the money? I am considering the double handle shoulder mount for my Canon 7D when mounted to a 70-200 II primarily as well as some other lens. A monopod/tripod will not be very useful where I am going with this.

I missed out on a good price for such a system a couple of days back in B&S, and do not want to spend $300 to find out I don't want it. How compact is the system when taken apart? I was hoping to be able to fit it into my hard case which has a 4" x 4" x 8" pocket empty but I can always rearrange the case if the setup isn't too large.

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:40 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

If you like to "rear button" AF and have controls handy for thumb/index adjustments...
then the answer is NO. The trigger, however....is great for pray and sprayers. Having used
every possible combination of BushHawks since the mid 80's, I've finally found what works
best for my style of shooting. It's a very personal thing you'll need to decide for yourself.

FWIW another consideration is the ability to ZOOM You'll lose that with the double grip...
going with the single, the index finger of your left hand gits 'er done with practice! GL

PS. it will NOT fit in your case broken down. 8" X 7" min. plus the shoulder stock is ~10" long
Modded all of mine down to a svelte 15 oz. ea. No excuse for shootin' w/o one. Great BIF tool.

NIKON D3    400mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Oct 01, 2012 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:33 AM
martines34
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

Trenchmonkey is the master of the BH.

I have followed his advice and ascribe to it.

The BH is a novel but, useful tool. It surpasses the monopod in almost all uses.

I have the finger/trigger release and do not use it.

The versatility of the BH is in relation to your imagination and mechanical skills.

Women have problems with it because of their anatomy but, it can be adapted.

Call them and ask if there is someone in Houston that you can call and talk to them about it.

Mine is always with me and is especially practical in shooting BIF.

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

thanks, Joe...but I'm just a disciple. Jody, Wacky Roger and a few others around here...REALLY do it justice.

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:07 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

I did look up Wacky Roger's posts and that was my intro to the 'Hawk. I will see if I can get hold of a distributor in Houston though I doubt it.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:31 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

FWIW, make sure you get it painted in shocking pink or something of the sort, especially if you carry it out into some less than friendly firearm areas. Here in PA it wouldn't like be an issue, except in Filthadelphia (sic). In NJ? I'd be "arrested meat."

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:06 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

Good point

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

This company has pretty sucky phone service. I tried calling all day and no one has picked up once.

Anyone here can recommend me what kind of Bush Hawk would work nicely for me? I know it is a very personal thing but there are no retailers anywhere near me. I have a gripped 7D with 70-200 II (with and without extenders) and will be getting a 100-400mm soon as well. I would prefer a double handle with shutter release. I don't mind loosing out on back button AF and as long as there is space to move the zoom ring, I am ok using a single finger to zoom in/out.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:32 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

http://www.adorama.com/BH320DDKCT.html
...this model will work for ya, shop around and you might find better pricing.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:57 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #10 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

I will put out an ad in B&S and see if I get anything. If not, I will just get it newn

Thanks a lot!

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

With all due deference to Trenchmonkey, I had a BushHawk (early model) and didn't find that it helped very much.

I sold it, and got a Manfrotto shoulder-support for my monopod. MUCH better stability, and a better solution for my particular needs.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:47 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #12 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

I respect Will's opinion and while it may not be an issue for you I will say that for women that may be some issues with certain body parts getting in the way. After reading about Will and Wacky Roger's success I tried one with a 500mm and I guess it was just too heavy and it kept slipping on the chest - just saying.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:01 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

Yes, Sallie Jo...only the under-endowed may benefit from such a device.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:55 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · Is a Bush Hawk shoulder trigger system worth it?

Warning to chubby photographers, eh?

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password