Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

I personally think it's pretty good. This was shot with a 24-70, and the exif is shown. Did some minor levels adjustments. I'm not a wedding photog, I was just helping my brother, who is, but the way the 5D3 handled the dark blue suit right next to the white dress pretty much impressed this enthusiast.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Brent and Lola

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens    51mm    f/2.8    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:50 AM
bbasiaga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Its mostly a spec sheet thing. I mean, there are definitely differences in what Nikon can do with their Sony sensors, but the reality is that the Canon sensors are far from flat when it comes to DR. Are there shots that could be benefited by the additional DR - sure. Dose this mean Canon sensors are worthless - no.

-Brian

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:54 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

bbasiaga wrote:
Its mostly a spec sheet thing. I mean, there are definitely differences in what Nikon can do with their Sony sensors, but the reality is that the Canon sensors are far from flat when it comes to DR. Are there shots that could be benefited by the additional DR - sure. Dose this mean Canon sensors are worthless - no.

-Brian

Yes, and it seems to me to be more of a highlight/shadow issue vs. white detail/dark detail.

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:59 AM
dmward
• • •
p.1 #4 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

I shoot 5DIII and use LR 4.1 to process the raw files.
Your image, since its in the shade doesn't really test the DR.
Now if it were a bride in white and a groom in a black tux in the sun. Or better yet with the sun angling across them that's a test.

And, BTW, I import those kind of shots into LR all the time and they have no clipping in shadows or highlights.

The Canon's 14 bit raw pixel depth along with LR 4.1 and its basic develop panel controls offer a really nice wide dynamic range. Probably for Nikon cameras as well. :-)

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:09 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Not much differences from other canon bodies. Less than 1 usable stops per decade - from DIGIC I to V bodies

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:28 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

As dmward said, that is a shot in shade, with probably about 8-9 stops of DR (not counting the sky peaking through in the back).
Canon has the same dynamic range that they had 4 years ago in 5d2. good and bad is a bit of relative term. The technology is out there for much better dynamic range, one that would obviate your need for use of a 2 or 3 stop gnd if that what you are using now, and of course there are times that you just cant use a gnd, as there is no linear demarcation of change in brightness.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:01 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Does is matter that I used a flash on that shot? I'm just wondering while I get a grasp on the finer points of images....I mean, I'm fairly happy with the image, so I guess I'm also happy I didn't test the greatest extremes, and using the flash definitely lifted the shadows in front of the couple, so I guess maybe this wasn't the best shot to make the point about DR....

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:13 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

It is a well executed shot, bottom line. it does not quite challenge the DR of the camera, but thats a good thing. and in fact, there are many times that you can bypass the need for better DR by controlling your lighting, bracketing, using GND filters, etc. but times that you cant.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

gregfountain wrote:
I personally think it's pretty good. This was shot with a 24-70, and the exif is shown. Did some minor levels adjustments. I'm not a wedding photog, I was just helping my brother, who is, but the way the 5D3 handled the dark blue suit right next to the white dress pretty much impressed this enthusiast.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

THat's not that high, if they had been facing the sun and you had sun on her white then the black starts being possibly messy.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:40 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Ah..got it. I usually trash those just kidding, but I do try to avoid that scenario

skibum5 wrote:
THat's not that high, if they had been facing the sun and you had sun on her white then the black starts being possibly messy.

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:10 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #11 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

gregfountain wrote:
Does is matter that I used a flash on that shot?

IMO, yes. Using flash can definitely help reduce contrast and even-out the lighting in outdoor people shots like this (good use of flash IMO).

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:48 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #12 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Those who don't understand the weakness of DR in Canon's sensors probably haven't had a need for it yet like in the shot above. Shoot in some hot lighting or high contrast scenes with Canon and Exmor and the light bulb will come on.

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #13 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

I'll pull from the shadows a lot, and I don't think the dynamic range is anything to write home about. In all seriousness it's only slightly better than the 5D2, and no banding (which also helps). Highlight tone priority helps, but only by about half a stop and it limits the ISO. Pulling from the shadows works better with the OM-D, and that's a 16MP sensor on a fourth the area as full frame.

Artsupreme is right, it is what it is. Once you have shot RAW with both systems, you will know the difference.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:09 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #14 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

artsupreme wrote:
Those who don't understand the weakness of DR in Canon's sensors probably haven't had a need for it yet like in the shot above. Shoot in some hot lighting or high contrast scenes with Canon and Exmor and the light bulb will come on.

Agreed. There is a massive difference. However the 5d3 is fine for most needs - pushing 1-2 stops with some nr produces acceptable results. I reckon landscape is the biggest DR pusher. If I was a pro landscape photographer, I'd be very interested in the d800..

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:44 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 5D3 Dynamic Range

Okay, so I've been schooled! It's not a white detail and black detail issue, it's solely a highlights vs shadows issue. I guess I was confused. In any case, I don't see myself in too many situation where I can't control the position/amount/intensity of the light (I do mostly studio type work where I bring the light to the subject) but it's good to know what to look for should I encounter it. I appreciate all the input...

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password