Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Busy but

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Busy but

I am in the middle of moving into a condo, painting, cleaning, buying and putting together furniture and shooting, shot the UCLA and CU Buffaloes yesterday, and I am posting this while I am downloading images in the media room after the Galaxy and Rapids game. My home internet will not be turned on until Tuesday, and I do not expect us to actually be living there until Wednesday or Thursday, so please be patient. One thing I have notice is there seem to be a lot of gear post. I know I have been gone for a while, but Fred does have a gear board for gear discussions. I could care less what the sports settings are for a Nikon D4, and if I have a gear question or issue, I am going to the Canon board. Can we please do that too instead of having 3 1DX and one D4 posts in the first 25 posts?

Thanks!

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Busy but

He's Back...

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #3 · Busy but

And the goal of this particular post was...

For a moment I thought I got redirected on Facebook or Twitter but then the URL in my browser still indicated http://www.fredmiranda.com (sorry, but as I get older I get confused really easily).

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Busy but

Widgic Carl is a Moderator, if you read the Sports forum rules, you will see that there is not the place for Gear posts. It says it in the rules, things have been lax since there really hasn't been a mod in the sports forum, but now Carl is back.

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:48 AM
robby521
• •
p.1 #5 · Busy but

well it is sports and is this not a forum to help people?you get more help on settings here than in nikon forum.but like your post,if we wanted to read about moving we would go to the moving board,just saying.works both ways.

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:52 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #6 · Busy but

Matt OHarver wrote:
Widgic Carl is a Moderator, if you read the Sports forum rules, you will see that there is not the place for Gear posts. It says it in the rules, things have been lax since there really hasn't been a mod in the sports forum, but now Carl is back.

Fine, but personally (as someone else posted), I am going to sound cold here, but more than half of his post is not relevant to the sports shooting forum. And the title of the post... Tell me how this is informative and relevant?

Oh well, I am a newbie here so maybe I should just go back into my hole.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:15 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Busy but

Myself and many others here have a lot of respect for Carl, and we know what he has been through and continues to go through. None of that really pertains to this situation, except for the fact that

A. Being disrespectful to a Moderator can't be helpful to anyone, especially to yourself.

B. See A.

C. Rules are rules, and whether we like it or not, they do need to be followed, Carl was just reminding all of us, what we should have been doing all along.

Matt

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Busy but

As a moderator it is my job to ensure that post in the Sports Corner, which is a presentation board on the Fred Miranda Boards, fall under the guidelines that Fred set up for the site, and the sports corner rules. All the boards here at fredmiranda.com are very useful, but can get cluttered. Settings for a D4 or 1DX focusing issues are not Sports Presentation. You are free to post all the Exif data you want and answer settings questions if you want, but when it comes to gear specific original posts other than:

Pocket Wizards/Radio Slaves - Used for triggering Arena Strobes or remote cameras
Studio Strobes for lighting indoor events
Remote Cameras - mounting, ground plates, goal boxes, etc
How do you handle multiple cameras - many of us shoot with 2, 3, 4 or more cameras and learning how to hold multiple cameras is mainly a sports deal

then the posts should go into the Gear categories. Utilize this whole site. You can gain great information on shooting team and individual shots not only from the Sports Corner, but from the Portrait board, the lighting and studio techniques board, and you might find shooting wildlife is a lot like, and can be a lot harder that shooting sports. If you are having issues with your gear, there is a good chance that a wildlife photographer or a wedding photographer might be having the same issues, and may have actually found an answer, but more than likely, they are not going to answer you here in the Sports Corner, because they don't shoot sports.

I admit, I have not been around for a while, but in my 8 and a half years as a member and 7 years as a moderator, when gear posts are permitted, suddenly there are more gear posts than sports posts. So if you need help troubleshooting gear, be fair to those who do not shoot with the same gear and take those posts to the correct gear boards...

Thanks!

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:07 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Busy but

Carl Auer wrote:
So if you need help troubleshooting gear, be fair to those who do not shoot with the same gear and take those posts to the correct gear boards...

Thanks!

Amen Brotha'!

Marty

Oct 01, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #10 · Busy but

Carl: I agree that their are numerous sports posts regarding gear, settings, AF (especially with the new 1dX), strobes, how tos, etc. I read the Canon mount forum regularly. The problem with going to Canon mount or Nikon mount areas is we are looking for specific answers relating to action photography. What might be really helpful is to have a Gear Talk discussion forum specifically for sports. Any thoughts?

Ben

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:34 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Busy but

My problem with gear posts isn't so much WHERE it's posted, but HOW MANY TIMES it's posted whether it be here in Sports Corner or any other forum on FM. How many times can the same question be asked on what lens or camera to get for what sport? A newbie thinks it's a first time question when in fact the same question has been asked a hundred times before with a wealth of information that needs to be tapped into if learning how to search the forums either through the FM or Google engine.

The other problem with asking gear related questions here is you'll get dozens of opinions. What settings? What camera body? What lens? What should I buy? It doesn't matter. What works for me may not work for you. Just go out and shoot. This is and always has been my advice when it comes to gear settings... Start with a bank of settings googled on the web or searched from here and go out and shoot.

Images themselves that are posted are unique. There are no repeated images. Only repeated gear questions. Let the presentation of your images here for C/C dictate settings... not the other way around. So, for instance, start with a bank of settings, shoot a game, present your images with EXIF in tact and wait for CC. Your settings will automatically fall into place over time through the give and take discussions from the images you post. You may present an image that shows motion blur and you may get a suggestion to up your SS or a question on what mode did you shot in. The setting questions will automatically evolve out the images you post which to me is much more valuable than a set of suggestions spawned from an isolated gear/settings questions.

FWIW, I came onto these board knowing not a thing and never ever asked a gear question as the subject of a post. At least... not that I can remember, and certainly nothing that was a value where I would have remembered....

I learned by seeing the work of others, maybe asking a question or two on the settings from the images I saw and from there, assembled my own settings and shooting style through what I saw and what I tried out on my own. I guarantee that if you just go out and shoot, your gear, settings, and everything else under the sun (literally) will fall into place. Gear posts here are not what has made this forum as great as it is.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:35 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Busy but

P Alesse wrote:
My problem with gear posts isn't so much WHERE it's posted, but HOW MANY TIMES it's posted whether it be here in Sports Corner or any other forum on FM. How many times can the same question be asked on what lens or camera to get for what sport? A newbie thinks it's a first time question when in fact the same question has been asked a hundred times before with a wealth of information that needs to be tapped into if learning how to search the forums either through the FM or Google engine.

I agree with Paul's point here (and Carl's). And yes, please always search before blurt. Having said that, I've mentioned to Mr. Miranda a time or two that the search mechanism within this forum's software is really not all that good. I do go out and try coming back thru Google and if I limit the search to this URL alone, results are better. Still, an advanced search mechanism would be really appreciated.

One of the grey areas is in questions about settings. Sports, particularly when shot outside in the dark, pose problems that I don't think occur in other venues. I've occasionally posted shots here with my settings looking for feedback from others in search of better results. Is this considered a gear question? I do try similar questions in say the Canon forum with mixed results. I don't know how many people follow specialized threads (sports, landscape, etc.) as well as the brand specific ones. Your idea of posting pix and waiting for feedback, while good, doesn't help someone who is up against the wall now with a deadline.

Would appreciate guidance in where the line is between gear and knowledge specific to this discipline that generally transcends any brand.

Carl, glad you're making progress. Not having Internet access is an absolute pain in ...!

Robert

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Busy but

That is one of the main issues...how many posts that are asking the same questions, or asked here but asked and answered numerous times in the other boards. When I come to the sports corner I want to see people posting photos, critiquing, asking questions about the photos, learning. Someone who just bought a DSLR and has never used one before needs to learn how to use their camera before asking people here how to use their camera to take great sports photos. There are very few people who know a ton about photography who could answer a blind question about what settings should I use in a middle school gym in Anywhere, USA unless they have actually shot there. But knowing that basic settings for football, basketball, just about any sport are universal between all camera manufacturers is one thing. Camera specific questions is another.

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password