Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

jaybird555
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

I can't find a lens code on my 70-200 2.8 IS ll which I bought last year. Does anybody knows where the code is hidden. I'm going to be selling the lens and I think is "mandatory" that I provide such code... Thanks for your replies. Signed: The code enforcer.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:26 PM
davenfl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Canon stopped putting codes on new production, now only have a serial number.

Dave

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:27 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #3 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

i thought they quit putting codes on just for 2011. In 2012, they're back to UA

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:29 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #4 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

I thought only the 70-200 2.8 II dropped the code and changed to a 10 digit serial number.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

It's hidden in the lens ROM and can be retrieved by Canon Service (for a fee).

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Oldraven
• •
p.1 #6 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Received a new EF-S 10-22 two days ago...no visible date code.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:50 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

datousteve wrote:
i thought they quit putting codes on just for 2011. In 2012, they're back to UA

2011 lenses are UZ, 2012 lenses are UA. Some of the less expensive lenses have never had date codes.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:53 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #8 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Have any EF-S lenses ever had a date code?

The 70-200 II is the only recent EF lens I'm aware of that doesn't have a date code. The early copies did have the date code. The copy I owned I purchased new in Nov. 2010 and it had no date code.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

jaybird555 wrote: I'm devastated- NO lens code.

I can't find a lens code on my 70-200 2.8 IS ll which I bought last year. Does anybody knows where the code is hidden. I'm going to be selling the lens and I think is "mandatory" that I provide such code... Thanks for your replies. Signed: The code enforcer.

Devastated? First world problems.

The lens was released April 2010. You have a problem that is not a problem. The lens is obviously not more than about 28 months old and if a buyer thinks that there is a significant difference between a 28 month old lens and a 12 month old lens that have the same visible condition, then they need another think.

Send the prospective buyer a copy of your sales receipt / invoice. Problem solved. SO simple.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

I have two copies of 70-200L IS II. One has UY date code, while the other one that I bought last December has no date code. Also, my 70-300L has no date code as well.

As someone suggested, many believed Canon stopped putting date code on newer lenses. However, that's not the case. At least, the recent copy of 24-105L that I got a few months ago has UA06 date code.

So, my guess is they did some experiment on this or they could just forgot date code on a number of lenses.

But, to OP, you shouldn't be devastated over this.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #11 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Oldraven wrote:
Received a new EF-S 10-22 two days ago...no visible date code.

For non-L lenses, only some old lenses have date code.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:15 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #12 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Monito wrote:
Devastated? First world problems.

The lens was released April 2010. You have a problem that is not a problem. The lens is obviously not more than about 28 months old and if a buyer thinks that there is a significant difference between a 28 month old lens and a 12 month old lens that have the same visible condition, then they need another think.

Send the prospective buyer a copy of your sales receipt / invoice. Problem solved. SO simple.

NEVERMIND

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

I never understood why people made such a big deal about date codes. Potential buyers who insist on this information are likely going to be a pain in the ass to deal with, so I typically ignore the requests and sell it to a person who isn't so uptight and demanding.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:33 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #14 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Ben Horne wrote:
I never understood why people made such a big deal about date codes. Potential buyers who insist on this information are likely going to be a pain in the ass to deal with, so I typically ignore the requests and sell it to a person who isn't so uptight and demanding.

I totally agree with you, I was just been sarcastic. I posted something about lens codes couple weeks ago. check it out http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1134832/2#10874689

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #15 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Ben Horne wrote:

I'd say almost 100% of people I've dealt with care about date code. That's why I do as well. However, I don't recall even one buyer, especially on this site, is a pain in the ass simply because they ask for date code.

I recently bought a 400L from someone on this site. Its date code is UY, which is better. If I can choose, for the same price, I'd rather pay for a newer one.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:55 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #16 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

New 24-70's have no date codes.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Wahoowa wrote:
I'd say almost 100% of people I've dealt with care about date code. That's why I do as well. However, I don't recall even one buyer, especially on this site, is a pain in the ass simply because they ask for date code.

I recently bought a 400L from someone on this site. Its date code is UY, which is better. If I can choose, for the same price, I'd rather pay for a newer one.

When I've posted canon lenses for sale in the past, it was common to get emails that would say simply "date code??" There was no hello, no discussion about the lens, no other forum of communication --- simply a demand for a date code. These are the people I am happy to ignore.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #18 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

for lenses that have been in production for years, a date code is a nice place to start especially when looking at longer, more expensive lenses. There is a difference between a lens 12 years old and one 3 years old...at least to me.
I have always supplied a date code when selling and I am sure that I have always asked when purchasing. I don't see why it is such a pain.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #19 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

Ben Horne wrote:

+1

I can see if you're buying milk or cheese but lenses? Years ago I pick up a used 35L, the seller said bought new and used twice and want a 16-35L II instead. W/O question on date code I took it off his hand. I rather pick a low mileage 6 yr old over a 1 yr old used by a pro. I too pass potential buyers that ask date code over how the lens being use, these buyers also haggle with your asking price and sometime back out the last minute.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · I'm devastated- NO lens code.

It is not uncommon that sellers say their lens is "minty", and it has been used outdoors perhaps four times, and it has been sitting in their dry storage curio for some time unused.

Then, the date code places such sales pitch in a nice perspective, and sometimes additional clarifications start to surface about that "minty" lens:

"Well, yeah, the lens was made in 1999. No, I am not the original owner, I bought the lens off someone on eBay. OK, it is minty other than normal paint chips where the hood mounts, and the objective glass has a few spots with coating flaked off which doesn't affect image quality at all. And those white deposits on the MF rubber ring..... they should come off by rubbing with alcohol, besides, they do not affect the lens function, right ?"

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password