Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

cyra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I am sure, it will boil down.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:39 PM
paulhofseth

p.6 #2 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Until some icelanders pitch in and contradict me; the colours inland along Fjâllabakaveigur up from Selfoss behind Hekla and beyond are worth the journey.

Unfortunately the snow does not get off the road until july, and comes down again in late september.If I were you, I would rent a 4wheeler and go with anyone among you capable of crossing streams -and drive back along the coast, taking a stop at Dyrholaeyjar.

Medium long, as well as short optics are both useful. Be prepared for intermittent rain.

p.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:59 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #3 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

jcolwell wrote:
I'm good for 2013.

You are definitely in

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:45 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #4 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Aaron_Huang wrote:
Here's some of my photos from this September:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marvels_of_creation/sets/72157631782316539/

Anyone interested in either winter or summer next year? Looking at Feb/March or May/June. Would be great to share costs and also have a photography companion
I miss the aurora so I'm more geared towards going in winter.

If interested, please PM or email me at cosmicnova@hotmail.com

Thanks

Aaron

Spectacular photos!

I think winter is not as realistic as May/June, but we will see. I will work out som alternatives for us soon.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:48 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #5 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

harvey steeves wrote:
I would be interested in joining this excursion - but with all the names, maybe consider renting a 4x4 bus ...

I'll mix you in with all those names

Lika Cyra said, I am sure it will boil down. Anyway, we will probably need more than one 4x4 for flexibility.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:50 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #6 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

paulhofseth wrote:
Until some icelanders pitch in and contradict me; the colours inland along Fjâllabakaveigur up from Selfoss behind Hekla and beyond are worth the journey.

Unfortunately the snow does not get off the road until july, and comes down again in late september.If I were you, I would rent a 4wheeler and go with anyone among you capable of crossing streams -and drive back along the coast, taking a stop at Dyrholaeyjar.

Medium long, as well as short optics are both useful. Be prepared for intermittent rain.

p.

Great tips! Thanks a lot!

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:52 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #7 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

This weekend, i will try to work out 2 - 4 alternative weeks based on what people have said here, and what I can find out about possibilites.

As we know, it is wise to plan in good time ahead, otherwise we all get fully booked. OTOH, there are other activities that will have priority, that we don't know yet when will be. It will be nice to know:

- When are people ready to settle for a firm date? ASAP or later this year, or even next year?

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:58 PM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #8 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

From my experience shooting with others, groups of more than 3 shooters can get cumbersome, people getting in each other's way. So sub-groups of 3 would be my suggestion.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Aaron_Huang

p.6 #9 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I will be looking at either Feb/March or late May/early June. If going in winter, we should hire a private guide but in summer car sharing should be fine. If hiring a private photographer guide like Orvar or Skarpi (you can search them up, they are local and very skilled) it'll greatly reduce the cost if there's 3 or 4 people to about $150 per person a day.

As for tour size, I also agree that 3-4 people is the best size, that way it's easier to get to know people in your group and also less waiting around if one decides to stay a little longer at a location.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM
cyra
• • •
p.6 #10 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

alundeb wrote:
This weekend, i will try to work out 2 - 4 alternative weeks based on what people have said here, and what I can find out about possibilites.

As we know, it is wise to plan in good time ahead, otherwise we all get fully booked. OTOH, there are other activities that will have priority, that we don't know yet when will be. It will be nice to know:

- When are people ready to settle for a firm date? ASAP or later this year, or even next year?

later this year (haven't all the other dates fixed yet).

thanks for working out some possibilities!

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • •
p.6 #11 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Have been thinking about possible times to go, and reading everyone's wishes. Since there is not one time that is optimal for all, I start out with 3 alternatives. It seems that going before june is problematic, but I still included one alternative just before june. If we want to go later than august 2013, that can always be organized later

The spring alternative
Late May, between 18th and June 2nd.

- Plenty of daylight
- River floods after ice and snow melting?

The early summer alternative
Mid June to summer solstice, between 15th and 30th

- Lots of daylight
- Not so much sleep, possible to work at night and sleep at day
- Still river floods?

The late summer alternative
August, any time in august.

- Plenty of daylight
- Tourist high season?

Now please check and report collisions in you calendars as they occur.

Oct 28, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.6 #12 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Some comments regarding your alternatives:
If you want to enter any of the highland tracks, this is not possible in late May / early June and also very likely not possible mid to end June (depending on the weather conditions and tracks).
But of course there are still a lot of other interesting places that can be visited in May/June.
Regarding tourist high season: too many people was never a problem for me in Iceland, but the prices (rental cars, hotels etc.) can be higher in August compared to May.
When I return to Iceland (probably 2014) it will be either winter (February/March) or August.

Boris

Oct 28, 2012 at 06:04 PM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #13 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

OK; I'll chime in. I can do spring, or early summer. Late summer is a maybe.
Thanks for the effort, Alundeb. Really appreciate it!

Oct 28, 2012 at 09:56 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.6 #14 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

July + August are good for me, before not so much

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM
cyra
• • •
p.6 #15 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

thread kind of died?

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:33 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.6 #16 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Well it's time then to revive it a bit to remind people

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.6 #17 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I've changed my plans a bit. I will probably do a longer Iceland trip in 2014, but decided to do an aditional short trip this year. We will be Iceland in August for about 10 days.
If anybody has similar plans we can meet there and shoot together for some time.

Boris

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:30 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.6 #18 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

To learn from the Master!
What days do you have in mind Boris, and do you have a list of places you want to do during the short trip?

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.6 #19 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

We will probably be there from 15.08. until 24.08.
My plan is to visit mainly the southcoast (around Vik i Myrdal and Jökulsarlon) and maybe the Snæfellsnes peninsula. On the 24th we will be in Reyjavik because at this day is the Culture Night 2013, which is a really great event.

Boris

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:18 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.6 #20 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Great! I would love to overlap at least a couple of days, maybe more! Is it primarily a family vacation for you? Are you taking a car there or public transport?

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:41 PM
       7       8       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password