New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2012 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Landing on the moon could hardly be any stranger than arriving at Keflavik airport. Houses and people start emerging as right on top of a natural disaster as you drive to Reykjavik . Within hours around you have the most spectacular lanscapes with cliffs, glaciers, almost deserts, iconic waterfalls and even a small group of trees. Then the poetry is in the subtle detail if you stop and look. White foam and black sand. And when it starts raining, all the colors come out.

Who wants to go there in 2013? When? Where? The questions are numerous.

This will be a thread for Alternative gear discussion, photo sharing and trip planning with the goal of a meet on Iceland in 2013. Our buddies Kiddik and Hauxon welcome us. The trip will be made possible by all participants, and it will be room for individual and family activity as well as meetings and outings together.

Edited on Oct 01, 2012 at 12:44 AM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I would love to join, but 2014 is probably more realistic. I will read this thread though

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:20 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

How many days would this be for? Been pondering a trip to Iceland or the Faroes.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:22 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Carsten: Please read! For all we know, 2014 may be more realistic for all of us, or it might be annual or semi-annual. Iceland is that good.

pingflood: As I see it, the timespan will be flexible. Some will want to arrive early or stay long. The core activites will most likely be held around a long weekend. Anyway, bring your wishes on, and we will see.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:28 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

From my first trip to Iceland in 2004, the iconic Skogafoss. My only camera was a Pentax optio S compact and I didn't understand my fellows who brought heavy cameras and even changed lenses. That was a long ago....

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/Overflate/FOSS_old.jpg

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Ooh, I'm interested. 2014 is also probably more likely for me but who knows!

We were there in January but that was before I was bitten by the photo bug again, so I just had my LX-3. Also, it was January!

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'm very interested. I can fly direct from Halifax to Keflavik - no stops*. It would be nice to see the volcano that forced me into a 2010 road trip from Gothenberg to Madrid. No complaints, it was a great trip!

Approximately what time of year would this trip take place? More daylight is probably better than less daylight. We could maximize daylight is it was over the Summer Solstice, Friday June 21, 2013.

OTOH, it would be interesting to have sunrise and sunset within a few hours of each other. Although, I guess the sun azimuth angle would not change very much, in this case.

* why do airline safety briefings say "in the unlikely event of a water landing...". I think it's more appropriate to say "in the unliklely event of a successful water landing..."

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:51 PM
MichaD
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'm very interested as well. Always wanted to revisit Iceland. With enough lead time I should be able to schedule pretty much any time in 2013.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:09 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'm interested as well. I can't really plan ahead, but if I can make it, I'm in
I guess it would have to be summer time, right? Rent a few Jeeps and drive around the small island.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:17 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Ooh, I'm interested. 2014 is also probably more likely for me but who knows!

We were there in January but that was before I was bitten by the photo bug again, so I just had my LX-3. Also, it was January!

Nice! How was it in January?

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I'm in on this. Never been there but always wanted to go.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:37 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

jcolwell wrote:
I'm very interested. I can fly direct from Halifax to Keflavik - no stops*. It would be nice to see the volcano that forced me into a 2010 road trip from Gothenberg to Madrid. No complaints, it was a great trip!

Approximately what time of year would this trip take place? More daylight is probably better than less daylight. We could maximize daylight is it was over the Summer Solstice, Friday June 21, 2013.

OTOH, it would be interesting to have sunrise and sunset within a few hours of each other. Although, I guess the sun azimuth angle would not change
...Show more

Ah, you were stuck by the ash cloud!

More daylight is nice, but it is also harder to get up and photograph before sunrise. We could of course omit sleeping, or eventually start an all night exposure an then go to sleep.

"Bjorgunarværstir undir sætin"

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:41 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

MichaD wrote:
I'm very interested as well. Always wanted to revisit Iceland. With enough lead time I should be able to schedule pretty much any time in 2013.

We will always want to revist Iceland :-)

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:41 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

snowboarder wrote:
I'm interested as well. I can't really plan ahead, but if I can make it, I'm in
I guess it would have to be summer time, right? Rent a few Jeeps and drive around the small island.

Car rental is the way to go!

The smallest time frame I would recommend for a round trip, is one week. Be prepared for 3 full days of driving.

Summer or early autumn sounds good in my head

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:44 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

wfrank wrote:
I'm in on this. Never been there but always wanted to go.

There will have to be a first time

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:48 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Indeed :-)

So are there specific locations to go to, or do you just rent a car and drive and find wonders allover?

1) Alltinget (that original European parlament of the Viking chieftains), guess it's worthwhile?
2) ...vulcano X, waterfalls, stone desert, geyser things...?
3) ...

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:54 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

I am also very interested in this possibility. Count me in please!

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:02 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

On one hand, I have many thoughts about where to go. On the other hand, I don't want to make too many plans befor we know the "profile" of the group, who they travel with, any restrictions and so on.

Besides, I am not sure who will be the guide in this democratic forum

Alltinget is in the same area as Gullfoss and the geysirs, and within reach from Reykjavik. It is a good area to visit. There are some other easily accessible photogenic places in the south/southwest part, like Skogar and Vik.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

Wish I could go there.

alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Iceland Alt Photo Meet 2013

philber wrote:
I am also very interested in this possibility. Count me in please!

Good to hear!

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.