Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Widgic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Went shooting UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford this Friday. The Stanford boys are nice to shoot because there always is some "grab and run" action.

It was a late afternoon game (4:00PM) so the sun wasn't quite 'in your face" at the beginning of the game so I decided to shoot pretty much the whole game backlit.

As always, C&C welcome.

Full gallery at http://widgic.zenfolio.com/120928-01

Denis
www.widgic.com

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:44 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Denis,
Some really nice shots here. Love the light. 5 and 14 jump out at me. In #8 11 and 2(?) appear to be having an academic discussion. The nature of Plato' inheritance from Socrates or some such??

"Grab and run" isn't a term I know. Are the Cardinals famous for holding or something?

Robert

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #3 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

OntheRez wrote:
"Grab and run" isn't a term I know. Are the Cardinals famous for holding or something?
Robert

I don't usually go to that many Stanford men soccer games, but the last two I went I ended up with some really nice player on player action. Nothing really nasty, but some good manly contact, jersey grabbing, etc... Best of all in both cases the refs let it play out, not breaking up the rhythm of the game with unnecessary foul calls (which is fine as long as it's safe and even handed, which it was in these cases).

Denis
www.widigc.com

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Denis: Some nice action here. It's a strong set and to my eye, 4, 9 and 10 are not up to par with the rest.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Question for you about your website. Lots of colleges for which you have galleries, and it looks like you are offering these images for sale. You actually have permission from all of those colleges/universities to sell images of their scholarship athletes? How did you manage that?

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Widgic
• •
p.1 #6 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Russ Isabella wrote:
Question for you about your website. Lots of colleges for which you have galleries, and it looks like you are offering these images for sale. You actually have permission from all of those colleges/universities to sell images of their scholarship athletes? How did you manage that?

Some colleges give me the permission, some of them encourage me to (since they don't have the possibility of selling pictures themselves). Some tell me that I can't and some don't even answer my question when I ask them. So I set the permissions according to their answers on my web site tho honestly since I sell so little pictures out of my web site that I might not be as rigorous as I should be. It might be out of date tho and that's a good reminder to review it.

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

When you consider that a college athlete can lose his/her scholarship if their photo is sold without permission, bought and/or used inappropriately, made available to the athlete or family members in a manner not available to the general public, etc., it is well worth erring on the side of extreme caution. I know of one University of Utah gymnast who had her eligibility suspended while the NCAA looked into the use of her photo on a t-shirt. It's a mess not worth venturing into, and unless you have written permission from the licensing department of the university (forget what the coach or AD might say), it's a no-go.

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #8 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Yeah, to add to what Russ might say, consider contacting the school's compliance director and their legal department.

This is unrelated to sports, but I once had to contact the University of Georgia's legal department about the use of photo (this was a news fair use circumstance) and they could not have been more easy to work with.

Unfortunatley the NCAA can be quite a stickler when it comes to eligibilty of scholarship athletes. I knew of a wrestler once who was declared inelligible because he kept (or so the NCAA alledged) the money that he earned by competing in the Olympics.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:05 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Some grab and run photos (UCLA Men Soccer @ Stanford).

Solid set... lots of outstanding 1-on-1 action and good tight captures. #4 to me is a toss and not up to the level of the rest of the set. #14 on the other extreme is plain outstanding. I think some curves / levels tweaks might push #12 over the top, tough sometimes with a little backlighting to get the "zip" out of the image. Regardless solid set and thanks for sharing.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password