Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

jakita33
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

Hello all,

Long time lurker here and avid sports shooter of my 6-year old son (flag football, soccer, lax, and basketball). Over the next couple of weeks my son will be playing either football or soccer outdoors between 12-2 in the afternoon. When the sun is out on a cloudless day around this time, I have a really hard time getting quality shots. I have a real problem with the harsh shadows the light creates. My first step is to play with exposure compensation but that doesn't always do it. I was just wondering if there is a "right" place to be in these shooting conditions. I come from a wildlife background where I was out by 6am and done by 10am to avoid these situations. Any help will be appreciated.

J

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:10 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

Expose for the faces. With harsh sun and hard shadows, I usually add +2/3. Then in LR (best if shooting RAW), use Recovery (~50) to regain some of the blown out whites and bump blacks -11.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:53 AM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

Thanks Clarence!

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:04 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

Shoot backlit (facing the sun), this way the side of the players you'll shoot are more evenly lit up and you'll get a nice "rim light" effet on your shots.

Shoot in manual mode, and as someone replied before me, expose for faces.

Shoot in RAW so that you'll have more flexibility in post.

Here is a recent soccer gallery I shot mostly using these setting (these were shot at a later time of the day but the results are similar): http://widgic.zenfolio.com/120928-01

Hope this helps.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

clarence3 wrote:
Expose for the faces. With harsh sun and hard shadows, I usually add +2/3. Then in LR (best if shooting RAW), use Recovery (~50) to regain some of the blown out whites and bump blacks -11.

^^ shoot in RAW for more latitude in adjusting exposure

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

I always shoot RAW - usually in AV mode. Thanks for the extra tips.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM
mkchang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

If the light will be constant (no clouds) shoot manual. Get there a little early and set your camera at 2.8 and adjust your iso and shutter speed accordingly.

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:28 AM
MichaelMann
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting kids sports at high noon - advice welcome.

I just shot this series of youth AYSO soccer last Saturday at high noon.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1152928/1

I usually shoot AV, take some sample shots, check to see if my highlights are clipping and dial EC back as necessary. In this case, I dialed back -1/3 to -2/3. I was happy enough with the results that I didn't bother messing with the RAWs and just went with the jpegs straight out of camera.

I do like the suggestions of shooting in Manual mode. However, I change aperture throughout the game depending on the desired DOF, and I don't think I'm fast enough to make the necessary changes on a shot-by-shot basis. Sounds interesting however, so I'll try that next game. Thanks for the suggestions all.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password