New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Salt Print

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Salt Print

No, but international shipping and safety rules, fear or terrorism, environmental concerns, and nanny state "protection" can be serious impediments.

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Salt Print

I like that idea of Art Terrorists - "the not so digitals"...

Check out a "dry" negative glass plate I just posted, used to print and the amazing amount of information that turned out on the print.

http://kadenca.tumblr.com/

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:11 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Salt Print

The dry plates are silver gelatin emulsion?

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Salt Print

Nope. Collodion which is far slower than gelatin emulsion. This method proceeds gelatin
emulsion in the history of photography. Dry plate negatives go back to 1865 and even
then they were used by a very small group of photographers before its demise.

Check out this movie made out of 800 tintypes: (amazing collodion visuals in stop motion)

#

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:09 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Salt Print

Ah, I'd never associated dry plates with collodion because I understood dry collodion was very slow and too slow for portraits. Shows my bias as an old portrait photographer.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Kaden K.
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Salt Print

This one a print in collodio chloride from a gelatin negative on glass from the 1800s. Hence I am not the photographer but the printer that brings this charming beauty back to life.

http://kadenca.tumblr.com/post/33697323405/collodio-chloride-print-from-a-gelatin-on-glass

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:49 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Salt Print

The print is quite charming and evocative!

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Salt Print

I struggle enough with digital where I've got an undo button ... I can't imagine using real chemistry ... remembering back to basic B&W class was enough for me. Although, I do have a much better understanding of principles of D&B, Zone, etc. thanks to PS.

If you know of a "family friendly" method, I might resurrect some film interest with an old Graflex, but ... "I'm too skeeeered" ... critical chemistry, etc. ... I"m sticking with dry (digital) darkroom for now.

I should mention, I was at a local historical museum over the weekend and marveled at the detail and rendering in some 100 year old school photos. I suppose that when you are using an 11x14 camera (also on display) it can do things that makes you begin to believe that for some things "size matters".

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.