Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Would this be crazy.....

LarryBoy57
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would this be crazy.....

I'm thinking of selling my D700 and D300 and getting a pair of D600's.

I shoot wedding and senior pics. What does everyone think about making this change?

Thanks,

Larry

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:49 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would this be crazy.....

I'd probably go D800 + D7000. The D600 is not a pro body, the D800 is only pro consumer. If you are making money from photography then get the right tools. I think you would be restricting yourself with the limited body that is the D600.

That is from someone who doesn't have one so take it with a grain of salt

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:20 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would this be crazy.....

I think if it works for you, go for it.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:27 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would this be crazy.....

How many clicks do you have on your 700?

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would this be crazy.....

MikeW wrote:
... the D800 is only pro consumer. ...

I love stupid statements like this ... so why is it then that Nikon treats the D800 as a PRO body to get into NPS? (purely retorical question)

Compare a D800 to a F6 and wow, they are similar in build, features, etc. but very different sensors of course :P Nobody would call the F6 a pro-sumer body ...

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would this be crazy.....

LarryBoy57 wrote:

I shoot wedding and senior pics. What does everyone think about making this change?

Thanks,

Larry

Not a bad idea to have two identical bodies. Will you miss the reach with the D300?

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:55 AM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would this be crazy.....

Well, that's the pair I have now. I'm comfortable with the combo... Having identical controls is good. The D600 would give you the reach on a crop if you don't need a full 24mp for prints. And you would get the newer sensor, better low light performance and all that. If you don't mind the new controls and smaller body I would say go for it.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:06 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would this be crazy.....

heh, I've read it called a prosumer model on numerous website reviews. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I guess a pro body has to have a built in grip for website reviews.

Don't shoot the misinformed intoxicated webbrowser

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:09 AM
LarryBoy57
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would this be crazy.....

lukeb wrote:
How many clicks do you have on your 700?

I probably have a little less than 12,000 clicks on it as of tonight. It's definitely "low mileage".

Larry

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:10 AM
LarryBoy57
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would this be crazy.....

Not a bad idea to have two identical bodies. Will you miss the reach with the D300?

Don't anticipate that I'd miss the reach of the D300. I rarely use that camera now. It's just carried along as a backup at weddings. I am also planning to acquire a Nikon AF-S 70-200mm VRII as well.

The prospect of having two identical bodies is appealing to me. I'd mount a different lens on each one and just grab the body I need based on lens needs.

Larry

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would this be crazy.....

LarryBoy57 wrote:
I probably have a little less than 12,000 clicks on it as of tonight. It's definitely "low mileage".

Larry

I'd keep the 700 and get another low mileage 700 and have a matched pair.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:36 AM
surreal612
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would this be crazy.....

Try to rent the D600 first before selling your current combo.

Then you make the decision.

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:13 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would this be crazy.....

MikeW wrote:
I'd probably go D800 + D7000. The D600 is not a pro body, the D800 is only pro consumer. If you are making money from photography then get the right tools. I think you would be restricting yourself with the limited body that is the D600.

D7000 is far from a pro body. But I know several people using them for weddings.

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would this be crazy.....

Dual d600 's would be an excellent choice for weddings..

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would this be crazy.....

I used to shoot weddings with film - so it's been awhile.

That said, I can't imagine what you'd run into at a wedding where a D600 wouldn't get the job done. And +1 to the matching bodies comment - it IS nice!

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:55 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would this be crazy.....

LarryBoy57 wrote:

Thanks,

Larry

There is no way in hell I'd sell my D700 and get a D600. The D700 is such a great body. I'd keep the D700 and sell the D300 and get a D600.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:02 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would this be crazy.....

For me, I'd rather have get a second D700 than two new D600s. Unless money isn't an issue, that seems like the better value to me.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Joe Marques
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would this be crazy.....

MikeW wrote:

Frankly, I'd ignore this advice complete and not waste the salt.

There are probably more wedding and portrait shooters using 5D's than any of the so called "pro" bodies Canon offers combined. The same is true for Nikon. The D600 is a terrific choice for wedding shooters.

If your running through Iraq or standing on the sidelines of an NFL game then I'm sure build quality is crucial. Walking through the park with a bridal party is not hazardous, nor is sitting on a stool in a portrait studio.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:05 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would this be crazy.....

I think I'd give up my D700 in a heartbeat now for another new D600. That's just me. The D700 is a little sturdier, and I do like the "triple tree" controls. Having said that, I'm hard pressed to find anything else the D700 does better than the little D600. Oh, I like CF cards better... a lot better in fact. Still, single CF vs double SD...

The D600 makes for better IQ in really any situation. I'm pretty comfortable saying that now after my first week or two with it. It's better in good light, it's better in low light, it has more detail, and color rendering is really similar. It has new features, like a slightly improved LCD, HDR built-in, ISO100 native, time-lapse, and if you're into HD video (I'm really not...) well, it has it.

So it comes down to build and controls, and the AF module. Personally I've been impressed with the D600 shooting sports. It tracks very well, acquisition seems to be very good if not QUITE as instant as the D3S I shot it with, and in low light I think it might even be better than the D700.

It's built well as far as I can discern. The D700 is slightly weightier, and side by side you CAN tell it's slightly larger. Not sure if this is a plus or minus for you. The D600 still offers weather sealing and a quality shutter that incidentally is already quieter, but still offers the delay-slap quiet mode option. Most of the controls the D700 offers are still either available outright, or at least assignable or programmable on the D600.

So I'm left with a slightly smaller and lighter body, with most of the controls and build of the D700, updated and added features and options, and better IQ all the way around.

I have loved my D700 (and D3 now sold) since day one. No one argues more than me it was a game changer for Nikon. That sensor was revolutionary not just evolutionary, and put Nikon on top for many pros. But I really have to admit it seems the D600 is now the crown jewel for affordable brilliant IQ.

Sep 30, 2012 at 06:02 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Would this be crazy.....

What cameras that you use to shoot weddings don't matter much as long as your clients are happy with your pricing and your end results. What is your pricing hike for 2013-14 wedding coverage? Do you think your clients will book you for less now because you still shoot two D700s? Or your clients will be more than happy to pay your more now because you upgraded your camera bodies?

Sep 30, 2012 at 06:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password