FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

Moved to correct forum...

Hello,

I have recently taken more of an interest in B&W photography. For me, I see it more as an art form in many aspects.

This is a shot I took back in June that I did a b&w conversion on.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Russ

Nikon D800
Nikon 70-200 2.8G VR II
Natural light with reflector camera right

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

Diggin' the tones and lighting.

Face might seem a touch "plasticy", would like to see it a bit more natural ... but that falls into preference or style. What are you using for your conversion to BW?

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

Nice expression, good connection with subject. Congratulations on BW exploration - to me a good BW is much more difficult to achieve than color, but then I have a definite bias for BW

Composition - perhaps more room to right? Lighting of sand is eerily similar to that on the subject - my mind wants some separation in those tones - unnatural and not what I expect to see (but maybe that is just me).

I agree with RustyBug re complexion. See circled areas on forehead, cheek, etc. Perhaps a stylistic choice - to me, overworked. Eyes and mouth are soft.

Plane focus appears to pass through sweater and arms, not his face. DOF could be that shallow if lens was wide open.

<edit> Looking again, his forearms and hands appear to be well in focus - how many and which focus points were you using? Dynamic with closest object might produce this result.

Movement of head? Shutter speed?

Exif isn't available - conversion method?

And my sincere apologies - Welcome to Photo Critique. I think you will find this a congenial group with an interest in sharing and helping each of us grow in our craft. We are all here to learn.

My 2¢

Bob

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:13 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

Thanks for the input.

I converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro 2. The image was shot wide open at f2.8 at 1/500th second ISO 400.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

Tweaked a bit on tones and sharpening to try and balance the draw toward his face.

His pose and facial expression kinda remind me of a "little monkey" ... projecting a playful spirit ... a fine capture, coaxing and capturing the emotive (which is why I am not a portrait photographer). I'm better at coaxing rocks than people.

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little Manny - delving into B&W

I quite like this one. joyous expression and good separation between subject and background. The boy's face may perhaps be a be a bit close to the bright background in tone. More separation in tone may concentrate more emphasis on his face and expression. Consider selectively darkening the foreground and background for better subject separation and perhaps a bit of a crop to tighten the composition.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.