Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I shot Kilgore High School last night (the red team). I expected it to be closer game, but it was a total blowout with Kilgore winning 41-0. The field was a complete dungeon. I was at 6400, 2.8, 1/400th and was underexposing...shooting RAW with my 1D3. I tried to use my 7D for its 12800iso, but put it away after a few plays. It just couldn't hang (AF wise). I know these are noisy. I spent much more time in the endzones than normal.

092812 Kilgore Football-1 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr
...not a super great pic, but I liked the fullish moon rising over the stadium

092812 Kilgore Football-2 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

092812 Kilgore Football-3 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

092812 Kilgore Football-4 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

092812 Kilgore Football-5 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

092812 Kilgore Football-6 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

092812 Kilgore Football-7 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:23 PM
hcm228
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I feel for ya man. Really nice shots though considering the "dungeon"

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #3 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

But... The noise is really noticeable. I exported from LR with a stronger sharpening setting than normal. I may need to tone it down

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Sounds tough, Jeff. I like 4 and 5 best, but yeah, these are noisy. I imagine this is due in part to having to recover them from being underexposed? Any noise reduction?

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #5 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

yes, actually. Quite a bit in LR3. I just don't like de-noising to the point of it looking soft

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:19 AM
rdalrt
• •
p.1 #6 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I feel your pain. My home field is 12800, 2.8, 1/320.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:23 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #7 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I have to shoot 6400 on my 1D III and will be in the 500 to 640 range. Guess in some respects I'm lucky. The end zones are worse. My teams aren't getting there much though.

I find with my 300 2.8 that focus lock across the field is harder. You have some sharp images here. I need the patience to wait for some shots. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:14 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Jeff...is using flash an option? Regarding shooting from the end zone....I'm seriously considering it.....at least from the 20-25 to the EZ. The sidelines (in my area anyway) are getting just too congested. Last night the photog from the other paper spent one QTR on one end and the other QTR at the other end. No fighting thru the player areas and the others who are down there. I think next week I'm going to give it a shot.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschlact
• • •
p.1 #9 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Hey Jeff,
I can't remember from LR3 whether it too has it (I don't thin so), But Lr4 has a mask slider for the sharpening to help offset some of the softening from NR. In other words you can do NR to the proper level, then turn your sharpening up higher on the areas that matter so that only the face and not BG get sharpened as an example. Of Lr3 doesn't have it, maybe consider 4 trial to try out.

I liked the midair tackle of 6.

By the way, while I have been using LR, I don't love it, especially since I haven't found a way for the crop too to remember the last ratio or change the default to 4x5. Have you?

Guy

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Skwirnmn
• •
p.1 #10 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I was going to suggest what guy recommended. there should be a sharpen mask in LR3 as well. hold the alt key while you move the slider and you'll see a reduction in the background noise.

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #11 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Guy,

I do need to play with the sharpening more. Also, there might be a way to change the ratio of the crop on import, but I haven't needed it. My 'people' want them in 3:2

Skwirnmn, thanks for the tip.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Russ S.

p.1 #12 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I'm a novice facing similar problems with my son's team. Was wondering if it made sense to use a faster mid prime like Canon's 135 f/2 L to pick up a stop? It obviously has less reach, but could you zoom and crop in post without losing too much detail? Don't mean to hijack this thread, just looking for solutions from those in the same boat with more experience. Thanks!

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

It's been done (at least by me, anyway). I found that the photos that were in range were quite nice (I was using an 85 1.8 with football and soccer. I found that I appreciated the motioned stopped versus having a longer range like a 70-200. Plus the 135 is a sharp lens so cropping won't suffer as much as it could with a softer lens.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #14 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

I currently only own 3 lenses...the 300, a 24-105L, and a siggy 50/1.4. I don't think I'll bust out the Sigma for this .

Maybe my expectations are too low, but for a web-only publication, I don't think they're too bad

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #15 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Ok, ok... Here's some less aggressive sharpening.

Russ, I don't think that I'd trade another lens for the 300/2.8 except a 400 (or a 70-200/2.8). Shooting HS football means doing whatever you need to get the shot. If that means a little noise and a little blur, then that what the image will have. That does not mean that I am not looking for the best solution, but that does mean that I'm going to do the best with what I have.

Unless the play is right in your face, shooting something shorter and faster might not be worth it...unless you have a 200/1.8 or 200/2

Kilgore 2-3 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Kilgore 2-4 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Kilgore 2-5 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Kilgore 2-6 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Russ S.

p.1 #16 · Shooting HS football in the dungeon!

Jeff, I think your pics are great, only wish mine looked half that good. I plan to ungrade my 40D when prices of 1D4's or 5DIII's come down, or if the rumored 7DII materializes. Just exploring all the options before dropping a chunk of change to get faster.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password