Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Only one outside Japan??

nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Only one outside Japan??

I went to an aviation meet innthe UK today and one of the pros there had this. He loves it - says it focusses really fast (on a 1Dx) and produces an image like the 300mm 2.8L II throughout its range. There is a lever in front of the rear filter that adds the 1.4 Extender giving it a length of 560mm
Niall

Edited on Sep 30, 2012 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:20 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Only one outside Japan??

Nice, but the "only one outside Japan" is used way too often to make the "owner" feel really special, even though it's not.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:27 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Only one outside Japan??

Nope sorry I still don't believe this unicorn exists

Oh and a little bit of lens coat camo is not making it look any smaller either

But I'm glad he says it produces thru the range. That may make the cost of it a bit more palatable for some. I keep reading about how the Nikon 200-400 lacks at certain things and can't help thinking I'd never want to pay that much and compromise

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:28 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Only one outside Japan??

One massive lens! I saw pictures during the olympics but didn't appreciate its size till then.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Only one outside Japan??

stanj wrote:
Nice, but the "only one outside Japan" is used way too often to make the "owner" feel really special, even though it's not.

Yeah there were plenty knocking around the Olympics (unless the only copy was passed around between venues like a hot potato ) . So I can't believe they were ALL shipped back to Japan and this single example has been sent back here.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Only one outside Japan??

That's a beast! It looks as if he's shooting it handheld. And I think I'm tired after 2.5-3 hours of slinging a 70-200 around

Robert

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Only one outside Japan??

I doubt he does 2.5-3 hours with it

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Only one outside Japan??

The Canon 200-400 is a white elephant. It is far too large, heavy, delayed, and somewhat overpriced to boot.

EBH

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Only one outside Japan??

I'm good for a couple or three hours of handheld shooting with my 500/4L IS. Of course, it's resting on the ground when it's not being pointed at something, or in my arms/on shoulder while I'm walking around.

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Only one outside Japan??

The Canon 200-400 is a white elephant. It is far too large, heavy, delayed, and somewhat overpriced to boot.

Yeah, I'm sure Canon won't sell any of these. Right.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Only one outside Japan??

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

All of that may well be correct, yet when it comes to introductory lens sales, they are largely invariant of the degree of equipment excellence. Newly introduced gears sell mostly because they are, well, new.

Just think of this, if you will: in gearedhead circles, preordering a new piece of gears is akin to wearing a badge of honour, a special accomplishment photographically.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Only one outside Japan??

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

A prime quality zoom in the 200-400 range with F4 is a white Elephant
Not sure what you would substitute for it but as its a white Elephant I'm sure you have options that can give you exactly what it does.
Other than the Nikon feel free to let us know..

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Only one outside Japan??

nrferguson wrote:
I went to an aviation meet innthe UK today and one of the pros there had this. He says he has it on evaluation and it's the only one outside of Japan.

Who cares what he says if he spouts BS like that?

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:53 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Only one outside Japan??

A 200-400 f4 zoom, with a built in 1.4 extender, is pure gold. I pre-ordered last year when the first "firm" rumors were floating around, and my local dealer is crazy enough to accept pre orders on rumors. That puts me at number one with my dealer, and he usually gets early deliveries of at least a few of what he orders. I can not wait, and my guess is I will finally have one by Christmas. Christmas of which year is still in question.

Actually, one of the things I really want the lens for is to shoot at air shows, which is exactly where this copy was spotted. I normally bring a gimbal head in, and shoot much of my shots from it, but I have a lever quick release on it to go to hand held mode very quickly. And fast changes from 200 mm to 560 mm is perfect on a full frame to accommodate the fast changing subject distances you find at an air show. I also use a drop in polarizer a lot, which can help a lot at an air show if there is enough light, and it is a breeze to adjust when you are on a gimbal head.

And of course the air show season will be over this year by the time this beautiful tool filters down to us "normal" users, but there is always next year. I guess I will need to shoot some wildlife and live birds in flight to check it out, until I can find some of those 50,000 pound mach 2.5 birds to really prove its worth.

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:19 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Only one outside Japan??

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Edited on Sep 30, 2012 at 03:42 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:34 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Only one outside Japan??

At least we know now that a Wimberley replacement foot will work on the 200-400. But which one is it?

Also any idea on the weight and dimension of the lens?

My guess is this was sold to one of photogs that did the London Olympics.

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:33 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Only one outside Japan??

dolina wrote:
At least we know now that a Wimberley replacement foot will work on the 200-400. But which one is it?

Also any idea on the weight and dimension of the lens?

My guess is this was sold to one of photogs that did the London Olympics.

It wasn't I know who it was and spoke to him, but he was very cagey as a result of the agreement with Canon. He hasn't bought it, but says he will when it becomes available ie he couldn't give me a price, but joined in hoping that it was sensibly priced ie to get reasonable volume sales
Niall

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Only one outside Japan??

nrferguson wrote:
I went to an aviation meet innthe UK today and one of the pros there had this. He says he has it on evaluation and it's the only one outside of Japan.
He loves it - says it focusses really fast (on a 1Dx) and produces an image like the 300mm 2.8L II throughout its range. I think the big lever you can see in front of the rear filter is the one that adds the 1.4 Extender giving it a length of 560mm
Niall

That 'lever' in front of the drop-in filter holder is in fact a strap attachment point!
If you look on the last photograph the 1.4x 'lever' is directly in front of the drop-in filter holder on the top-left of the lens - just where a convenient left thumb can reach it.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Only one outside Japan??

10 grand at least.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Only one outside Japan??

nrferguson wrote:
It wasn't I know who it was and spoke to him, but he was very cagey as a result of the agreement with Canon. He hasn't bought it, but says he will when it becomes available ie he couldn't give me a price, but joined in hoping that it was sensibly priced ie to get reasonable volume sales
Niall

If not a London games photog then a Canon Ambassador?

If I had no super tele to begin with this would be my first choice to own and probably not progress to other focal lengths.

Edited on Sep 30, 2012 at 01:18 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password