New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

bbasiaga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

With some of the Ebay deals to be had lately, a lot of folks have become proud owners of the 5DMKIII. Some are pros, some are enthusiasts, and some may even be new to photography all together. Maybe you're like me and are upgrading from a much older body. I thought it would be nice to have a thread for those of us who are new to the pro-level features of the MKIII to have a place to post our initial thoughts.

I'll start with my thoughts, in no particular order:

I've had mine for about a week and half, almost two, after snagging the Adorama/Ebay deal. My previous primary body was a 5Dc, and a 40D backed it up for sports and wildlife. There were a number of things that struck me right away about the MKIII:

1. The menu system is greatly improved. My 5Dc had the old menu system, the 40D was a significant upgrade with the tabbed format, and the MKIII has a very nice evolution of that set up.

2. I used to complain about the mode dial getting shifted by accident on my 40D. Missed a couple of memories I wish I had because of it. This camera has the mode dial lock and I don't like it. Probably just take some getting used to. The grass is greener...

3.The LCD rocks. 'Nuff said.

4. The owners manual has something like 40 pages devoted to the AF system. The number of points and the coverage of those points is incredible. I have not even begun to understand how to most effectively apply various modes of AI Servo. On top of that, you can customize the profiles for each of those modes. Having come from bodies with nothing close to these features, I have a lot of learning to do. I Could easily spend weeks messing with this. The system is incredible. They have also laid out the controls pretty well. With easy access to changing modes (i.e single point, zone, expansion, servo, point selection) while still looking through the view finder. No menus necessary. This adds volumes to the versatility of the system.

5. Extra buttons and configurable buttons are a great feature. There are a few places where you can configure buttons to different functions. I never knew I needed this feature until I had it!

6. I'm a little underwhelmed by the weather sealing. I've never really had a weather sealed body, and I suppose I don't know what I was expecting but some foam glued to the insides of the various doors wasn't it. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work, or that its a gimmick (or that I'm switching to Nikon , I'm just saying I didn't know what to expect.

7. The in camera HDR function is really fun to play with. Just knowing that it is there, I find myself seeing places to try it out everywhere. Its a little tricky in crowded places, but it is still nice to have.

8. The 22mb files are noticeably slower to use, even on my fairly new computer with plenty of RAM. Not too slow, just noticeably slower.

9. WIth my previous two bodies, it was clear what job belonged to each. 5D for events and portrait work, 40D for sports and wildlife. This camera does both of those things better than either of the previous. The IQ is at least as good as my 5D, but at nearly twice the resolution. The pixel density is just a little less than the 40D, so the crop factor gains I once got from that body are now mostly irrelevant, given the IQ difference. This gives me a tough choice on which to keep as a second. Its good to have "first world" problems I guess.

10. High Iso is amazing. Absolutely amazing. 12800 no problems. I have used it many more times than I though I would. Its just so convenient to up the ISO and get a decent shutter speed. It makes a lot of things possible that weren't with my last two bodies, especially if I don't want to bring a flash along. For instance, went to a pumpkin patch with my daughter in the afternoon, Plenty of light, no need to pack the flash. But there was a haunted house there which was very dark. At 12800 I could still shoot 1/60 at F4 and get usable shots. Incredible.

Hm, well, that's all I can think of for now. What is on the forefront of your mind now that you've had some time with the MKIII?

-Brian

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

I own all 3 marks of 5D in different time. , mk3 is impressive body with any respect besides SD card which is suppouse to be second CF but minor issue anyway. I did about 5k shots already with mine, no single issue and results are just great. Especially great with mine L primes, no need of MA for any I own. This would be longer to stay in my bag body, no need in larger mpx's and what else can they really improve? AF is finally matching perfect criteria, size and weight is OK, lcd and ergonomics is much improved so it is great in hands. I am happy!

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

I'm impressed! Especially with the AF - my hit-rate has improved
Dramatically, coming from the 5DII and 1DIV. I'm using L-primes
Mostly, and only AF cross-points - there are still plenty of them to
choose from Only dislike so far is battery performance and
inability to choose a minimum shutter speed faster than 1/250s.

Sep 29, 2012 at 04:20 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150532/0

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:55 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Thoroughly happy with mine, however I'd really wish they tied spot metering to the focus point.

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:58 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Mines a keeper. I'm at the lower tier amateur and can see that this camera has great potential and takes way better exposures than I'm capable of producing thus far. If my photos stink, I'd never be able to point a finger at my gear. I will say I'm steadily improving and have a long way to go. I really don't mind that at all, I have the time!

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:05 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

5d3 is an absolutely amazing body. Things that can make it better.
1. Pop up flash with wireless control of other flashes
2. spot metering linked to AF point.
Now, if sony an Exmor sensor did not exist then 5d3 would be just a great camera and a good value. However, 5d3's biggest weakness remains a sensor which is just behind the available technology by a fair bit. a great body with a dated sensor

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM
marcus riley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

love mine. I've had the first to 5ds, as well as, 1d and 1ds bodies. It's a very complete camera.

1. Spot linked to focus point
2. Little more DR (smoother shadows)

This is about all I'd ask for, but honestly, I'm super happy without these things.

The best way I can describe it is that it's a very complete camera. I haven't regretted the purchase for a second (especially since I got it for the same price I paid for my 5d2 when it came out).

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

It would be even nicer if you and others posted your "reviews" here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=425&sort=7&cat=15&page=2

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:52 PM
rdalrt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Love mine. Only gripe really so far is the crippled SD card slot. So I just shoot with a CF card and leave the SD slot empty.

Sep 30, 2012 at 06:15 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

rdalrt wrote:
Love mine. Only gripe really so far is the crippled SD card slot. So I just shoot with a CF card and leave the SD slot empty.

crippled?

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:55 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

RobertLynn wrote:
crippled?

SD card slot is limited to SDHC speeds (not SDXC).

When there is a SD card in the card slot, access to the CF card can slow down to a similar speed, even if the SD card is not in use.

Maybe the magic lantern hack or some of the other firmware hacks will fix this eventually?

I honestly don't have any major problems with the camera, the features I use the most are the silent shutter mode and the improved AF.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Access wrote:
SD card slot is limited to SDHC speeds (not SDXC).

When there is a SD card in the card slot, access to the CF card can slow down to a similar speed, even if the SD card is not in use.

Maybe the magic lantern hack or some of the other firmware hacks will fix this eventually?

I honestly don't have any major problems with the camera, the features I use the most are the silent shutter mode and the improved AF.

I have a 64GB SDXC card and it works fine in the 5d3 slot so I'm sure that it supports SDXC, no?

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

4x4rock wrote:
I have a 64GB SDXC card and it works fine in the 5d3 slot so I'm sure that it supports SDXC, no?

It supports it, just not SDXC speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDXC#SDXC
See "Compatibility with SDHC". SDXC cards will work in SDHC, though you might need to reformat if the OS doesn't have exFAT support since many come pre-formated with SDXC. And they will not be able to take advantage of higher speeds that SDXC cards allow.

Don't know if Canon's Datalight DOS setup has exFAT support or not. But most people know to format the card in-camera just to be safe anyways.

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:19 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Access wrote:
It supports it, just not SDXC speeds.

I might be wrong, but SDXC standard is about capacity. The speed rating is defined with a "class" or "UHS" designation.

The 6D will be UHS-1 compliant. The SD memory storage on 5D3 is not USH-1 compliant, hence lower performance.

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:34 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

Yeah, my memory isn't the best, but here's the original link I found using google.

http://jeffcable.blogspot.com/2012/06/why-you-should-not-put-sd-card-in-your.html

Like I said hopefully this can be fixed with a magic lantern hack or something like that.

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:48 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

So i got out tonight and did some yearbook photos for a family friend. This was my first test of the 5D3 and my 135L, as well as the first try using the Phottix Strato II wireless remotes.

Wow that 135 really shines on this body. You could cut glass with those eyelashes I also really tried to avoid the focus and recompose technique. I figure i paid for all those points, I might as well use them, right! In short, I think I can get use to it. I did, however, notice what some people talk about in regards to the invisible focus points. I was able to work around it by simply pressing the AF select button, which illuminates the points, lining things up and snapping the shots. I'll have to go back though the manual and see what other settings affect this.

As a side note, I was able to sync my 580, 430, and Lumopro 160 at 1/200 with the Strato II system. I can go up to 1/250 with them on my 40D (its max sync), but could only get 1/160 with my 5Dc, despite it having a max sync of 1/200. I know the manual for the 5Dc says it may lose sync speed when using flash off camera, and I guess I assumed the same issue would be had with the MKIII. So far, so good though. I'll have to test it over a wider power range and see if it holds up.

-Brian

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New to 5D Mark III? Post your impressions

I really love mine! There are so many positives it would be redundant to list them all!

The things I am not thrilled with:

Battery life - it seems to be down at 50% in no time...

The E-TTL seems to be all over the place when providing fill... I shot an XSi for four years, with a Metz strobe, and 0 flash compensation would give me a perfect foreground/background blend. Drop it to -1/3 and you could barely tell a flash was involved. This camera seems very "hot" to me on fill exposures...

Canon - link the spot meter to the focus point - please...

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.