Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Indonesia Trip Advice

mholdef
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Indonesia Trip Advice

My wife and I are going to Indonesia to visite family in March and have 2 weeks to ourselves.

We are flying into Bali and are highly keen on finding some nice places to stay at. We are looking for a mix of nature walks, kayak, horseback riding, scuba and beautiful beaches.

We prefer to stay at places that are far off the beaten path with a certain amount of comfort while not necessarily looking for high end gastronomy - just good but simple food.

We'd like to spend some time on Bali while avoiding the southern resort area, and are open to traveling to another island.

Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Mark

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:32 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Indonesia Trip Advice

I've been to Bali a few times. Our favorite trip was in 2003 renting a car at Denpasar and driving the north shore for a week. I remember staying at Ubud and the central and west portion of the north shore - where we did a few dive trips. We enjoyed it all - but would have to say for us getting out of touristy Denpasar (and its typical 4 and 5 star hotels) to the typical 2 and 3 star hotels was more fun. It is the British style of driving on the left side of the road (we were living at Singapore at the time so that was no big deal for us) - but the driving is easy and slow speeds. I recall the roads being good but somewhat narrow. Great photo opportunities throughout.
Dave

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:32 PM
cock3tail

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Indonesia Trip Advice

My advise is, don't go.

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:24 AM
TheWengler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Indonesia Trip Advice

cock3tail wrote:
My advise is, don't go.

Why do you say that?

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Indonesia Trip Advice

LOMBOK

For heavens sake cock3tail, if you are talking danger your dreaming. Far greater chance of a traffic accident when staying at home. Wonderful people, the balinese, Indonesia and the rest of SE Asia.

Tim

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:04 AM
Teper

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Indonesia Trip Advice

cock3tail wrote:
My advise is, don't go.

And what exactly is the reason for this? - Have you even been there?

To the OP, i lived 3 years in Indonesia, although it was some time ago, so i cant really advise on the latest. What i can say it that it is a wonderful place. Like any place in SE Asia however, you should do your homework, and be ready for anything.

I would recommend picking up the latest version of Lonely Plant, and read it carefully, they are good for people who wish to travel independently, and off the beaten track. I have relied on them many times for regular trips around the world, and they have never disappointed.

You say that you will be visiting family, you should be able to get some local knowledge there, its hard to beat.

Im sure it will be a great trip.

Gorm

Oct 01, 2012 at 10:00 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

From what I hear, Bali is great but you need to get away from the South. The interior is beautiful around Ubud and Sidemen, and the Northwest is where to go for scuba as they have the national park there.

Lombok is also a place to see but more for its beaches.

Mark

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Oh, hell, what's a terrorist attack (or two, or three). OTOH, one makes one's choices, and takes one's consequences

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/bali-terrorist-attacks-were-a-wake-up-call/story-e6frg6n6-1226489761991

Oct 06, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mholdef
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Indonesia Trip Advice

All this terrorist scare is just ridiculous. In any case we don't plan to go to the south where everyone else is.

People are always afraid of what lies beyond the horizon...

I often get asked about crime and violence in the USA, but I still tell people it's a beautiful country to visit

Oct 06, 2012 at 07:48 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Indonesia Trip Advice

lol, ask the folks killed in the attacks how they might respond to your comment. Hey, I don't give a shite. Go forth and enjoy!! Take good pictures. Post 'em up when you get back. I'll be in Paris next week. The facts that there are some assholes in your country shooting up school kids doesn't deter me. I know the risks such as they are and I'm willing to accept them relative to the benefit of visiting your utterly beautiful country and welcoming citizens.

Oct 06, 2012 at 08:20 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Indonesia Trip Advice

anthonysemone wrote:
lol, ask the folks killed in the attacks how they might respond to your comment. Hey, I don't give a shite. Go forth and enjoy!! Take good pictures. Post 'em up when you get back. I'll be in Paris next week. The facts that there are some assholes in your country shooting up school kids doesn't deter me. I know the risks such as they are and I'm willing to accept them relative to the benefit of visiting your utterly beautiful country and welcoming citizens.

This is crazy, I can't believe it. I just wanted to know about places to visit in Indonesia. Not a political discussion. Violence is all over the place even in your own backyard

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/574453_10150963167666534_438952000_n.jpg

Oct 06, 2012 at 08:28 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Heheh, "Ask and ye shall receive"

Oct 06, 2012 at 09:12 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Indonesia Trip Advice

anthonysemone wrote:
Oh, hell, what's a terrorist attack (or two, or three). OTOH, one makes one's choices, and takes one's consequences

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/bali-terrorist-attacks-were-a-wake-up-call/story-e6frg6n6-1226489761991

That Bali bombing was 10 years ago.... the same can be said with NYC with WTC. I don't think people stop visiting NYC because of what happened then...

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:02 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Since you have a long time to prepare for your trip, you should consider obtaining the appropriate vaccinations in advance. The ones recommended for Bali include:

Hepatitis A
Typhoid
Japanese encephalitis - Risk on Bali includes areas adjacent to tourist resorts. Transmission occurs throughout the year, but peak activity varies regionally and with rainfall.
Rabies - High risk exists in most of Indonesia, including Bali, where rabies was not introduced until 2008. If you were to be biten by a bat or scratched by an animal while in Bali and not vaccinated, the appropriate treatment (rabies immune globulin) is only available in Singapore.
Influenza Flu is transmitted throughout the year in Bali since it is a tropical area.
Routine vaccinations - Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis, Measles/mumps/rubella, polio, varicella

Malaria prophylaxis is usually not necessary in the southern region of Bali, which is the location of the usual tourist areas. Good insect precautions are a necessity however.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:02 AM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Thanks Dan

Already have most of these vaccines, which imagine will need as we plan to travel off the beaten path and away from the Southern part of Bali.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:56 AM
gregduda
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Indonesia Trip Advice

Though Ubud is by no means "off the beaten path", it is still a very idyllic setting, far away from the frantic hustle and bustle of Kuta.

"We are looking for a mix of nature walks, kayak, horseback riding, scuba and beautiful beaches."

You'll find nature walks, horseback riding, and amazing culture and terraced rice paddies in Kuta. For beaches and scuba diving, the NE corner of Bali has good diving (some wrecks). A short ferry ride will take you to the neighboring island of Lombok. It is a lot quieter--rent some motor scooters and tour the island, doing some nice waterfall hikes in the NW and N. Also, the 3 Gili islands are beach get aways (but more of a young party-at-the-beach crowd).

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password