Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · High ISO 1D X performance

schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High ISO 1D X performance

I've been shooting fall soccer with the 1D X and I'm continually impressed with what it can deliver. Given that "acceptable" is a subjective term, here is one from the other night, shot at ISO 20,000. Had to work on it a bit but it made my "acceptable" bucket for night shooting on high school lit fields. See what you think.....

Regards,
Matt

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 09:43 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:02 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High ISO 1D X performance

looks good to me (at this size on the web) - Congrats on your 1DX

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High ISO 1D X performance

Hard to argue with those results, Matt. Wow.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:19 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High ISO 1D X performance

Wow. I regularly have to shoot at 25.6 with a 1DIV and can't touch this quality. (I'm assuming this is cropped?) And no flash at f/3.2, SS 1/800!!

I don't normally lust after the latest greatest of anything, but I'm starting to truly want one of these beasts. Don't have the capital and even if I did the "knock over the local Circle K" financing approach, I don't think they gross that in a day (a week?).

Truly a lovely shot. What sort of noise reduction/sharpening did you employ?

Robert

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:02 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High ISO 1D X performance

Robert,

Yes it's cropped but not severely, thanks to the 400 2.8 . Lights at the field are hit and miss, player was in one of the good coverage sections for this one. As far as noise reduction, just using lightroom 4.1. Make no mistake there was noise in the shot, but LR did a decent job cleaning it up.

Thanks for dropping in!

Matt

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 09:53 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:41 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High ISO 1D X performance

Russ Isabella wrote:
Hard to argue with those results, Matt. Wow.

Hey there Russ,

Yeah, this body is turning out to be the best sports camera I've ever owned or shot with. Maybe hard to justify, but what the heck, once you get over the sticker shock , you experience the joy every time you pick it up. If you ever get a chance to shoot with one, you won't let go!

Matt

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High ISO 1D X performance

schlotz wrote:
Robert,

Yes it's cropped but not severely, thanks to the 400 2.8 . Lights at the field are hit and miss, player was in one of the good coverage sections for this one. As far as noise reduction, just using lightroom 4.1. Make no mistake there was noise in the shot, but LR did a decent job cleaning it up.

Thanks for dropping in!

Matt,
Now did your really have to rub it in that you're shooting a 400 f/2.8 Let's see $7k camera and a what, $11k lens? I live in a town where you can buy a funky house for $30k, so I'm not currently in the market. (Not that I wouldn't like to be.) I could see that you stepped on the pix a bit, but to my mind it is quite "acceptable." I think one of the dirty little secrets is that most folks shooting HS do have to deal with noise. I can remember being somewhere in west Texas awhile back, maybe Midland or some such place, and they had a stadium and lighting that would rival some Div 1 fields. But then I was told by Texas friends that God moved Sunday from Friday night to Sunday cause otherwise there wouldn't have been anyone in church.

I agree with you that worse than just bad light is wildly inconsistent light. I shoot at a "home" field that was built in the 70's back when the town had an economy and about 3x the population. Don't think much of anything has been fixed since then. I counted 16 dead bulbs in the light array last night and for whatever reason, when the field was built they didn't bother to put standards over the end zones. Getting that great TD catch is a real challenge. Players move from pools of light into shade and back. Guess one can only do the best they can with what they've got. Glad you got the good stuff.

A question, did you consider removing the orange light(?) in the upper right corner? Would only take a minute and seem as if it would improve your pix.

Robert

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:04 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High ISO 1D X performance

Robert,

Yeah, probably should have removed the orange light. Normally don't do much of that type of clean up unless a parent wants to purchase a photo. Hardest part locally, is to get the bozo's in the booth to turn ON the lights. Seems every season I've got to educate someone on the importance of getting the lights started before the sun drops below the horizon.

The 400 2.8, I bought used which ended up being less than half that of the Mk II version. Still a good chunk of change but no where near the 5-figure price tag of the II. It truly does make a difference but you have to re-learn how to juggle it (approx 12+ lbs altogether) with a body + 70-200 strapped to your side when the action gets closer.

BTW: here is the shot without the orange blob......

Matt

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High ISO 1D X performance

Nice shot. I never even noticed the orange blob until it was brought up. Maybe one day for me. I've never been jealous of a Nikonian before but shooting next a D4 or two yesterday game me at least one jealous twinge.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:49 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High ISO 1D X performance

Come on Schlotz, you took out the Orange blob and not the Blue square to draw focus directly to the girl?

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:28 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High ISO 1D X performance

Blue is my favorite color

Sep 30, 2012 at 09:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High ISO 1D X performance

I like it a lot better without the orange blob. Definitely shifts focus to the player's face.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password