Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

jerbear00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Just a heads up. I knew this but didn't think to ask when I bought a lens used and the OP said it was under warranty.

I will give the member the benefit of the doubt but I didn't ask him if he had ever had the lens serviced. He had and when I had focus trouble and sent it in with the receipt (he kindly provided) canon rejected the warranty because it was previously serviced by them for another member.

Just remember to ask as a warranty is useless if the original owner has already sent the lens in (for focus trouble). Part of the liability of buying used I suppose.

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:50 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Well the warranty does not transfer with the lens . Even if it had not been serviced for the original owner canon may still have rejected it.

You could of course had him send it in for you

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:58 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

True true Ian. Didn't feel like the hassle. Just wish I knew as I am CPS and could have sent a free coupon. I wanted to send my camera too to get em specked to each other not sure if needed...,

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:12 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

The whole point of mentioning warranty is still available is that the seller also will send in the repair request on behalf of the buyer, I suppose it is an unwritten understanding. This pretty much only works if the seller is the original buyer.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:13 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Just buy new if a warranty is important to you. Buying used forfeits the warranty.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:14 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

vsg28 wrote:
The whole point of mentioning warranty is still available is that the seller also will send in the repair request on behalf of the buyer, I suppose it is an unwritten understanding. This pretty much only works if the seller is the original buyer.

That is probably true. I will consider that in the future. Not a big deal with discount the total cost is around 200 for service. I have had such great experiences on buy sell I am not too concerned. The seller is also a great guy. Just figured maybe someone was nieve like me and hadn't thought of the warranty in this angle before.

Thanks for the comments!

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Based on many long and often contentious threads posted on FM over the past seven years that I've been a member, most people apparently do not know that warranties in general, and Canon warranties in particular, are not transferrable. This thread will help to clue in a few more people, but I think it's merely a drop in the uncommon sense bucket.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

As far I know, it is different here in german laws. The warranty is based on the product, not the owner (s). If I purchase a used product still under warranty, the manufacturer has to fullfill it.
Only a companies free guaranty (like tamrons five years) must not be transfered to a new owner. But the two year warranty has to be served if neccessary.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

jcolwell wrote:
Based on many long and often contentious threads posted on FM over the past seven years that I've been a member, most people apparently do not know that warranties in general, and Canon warranties in particular, are not transferrable. This thread will help to clue in a few more people, but I think it's merely a drop in the uncommon sense bucket.

+1, to some degree, but I think many sellers are markedly disingenuous about the warranty. Whenever I see that a product is under warranty or warranty card is included, I feel the seller is less trustworthy.

EBH

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

EB-1 wrote:
... I think many sellers are markedly disingenuous about the warranty. Whenever I see that a product is under warranty or warranty card is included, I feel the seller is less trustworthy.

EBH

I agree...

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Ralph , I think it's a European thing. As far as I know warranties are on te product here in the uk as well.
Also (and this has been tested in the courts) a 1 year warranty (which is a minimum for most things) is not necessarily limited to 1 year. If a product is perceived to be a long lasting item ie a fridge/washing machine (but it could be argued a hi priced lens as well) then the warranty should extend to a 'reasonable' life of the product. I think the 1 year stops at the retailers door and any longer goes to the manufacture/importer.
Certainly there are a lot more hi end products over here that carry extended warranties (not the ones you have to pay for)

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Even if you are the original owner, Canon may not honor the warranty if you are traveling or living outside of the original sales region. I recall Canon Korea wouldn't fix my camera, albeit under USA warranty, unless I foot the bill.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:55 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

EB-1 wrote:
+1, to some degree, but I think many sellers are markedly disingenuous about the warranty. Whenever I see that a product is under warranty or warranty card is included, I feel the seller is less trustworthy.

EBH

Whenever I mention a product is still under warranty or when I am interested in a product that still is under warranty, I make sure the company will honor it upon sale as well. A good example is Sigma and Tamron- their reps actually told me to "pretend" to be the original owner and that is all that would be needed.

If the original owner is willing to help out with any warranty claims, why does that make him/her less trustworthy?

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:06 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

Gochugogi wrote:
Even if you are the original owner, Canon may not honor the warranty if you are traveling or living outside of the original sales region. I recall Canon Korea wouldn't fix my camera, albeit under USA warranty, unless I foot the bill.

Canon has a shorter international warranty period than its usual national warranty. Was your item still under international warranty at the time?

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I think most people just don't know. I've bought and sold lots of camera equipment and never actually knew that the warranties were not transferrable until recently. But then I've also sold a fair number of lenses with blank warranty cards and paperwork that I always assumed could be "registered" or whatever with the company by someone if they wanted it fixed.

I learn something new every day...

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

vsg28 wrote:
Canon has a shorter international warranty period than its usual national warranty. Was your item still under international warranty at the time?

It's never shorter than one year. And Canon fix the lens if it have a warranty. I have bought lenses in many different countries. And also got them serviced under warranty in different countries and continents.
A lot of countries also give you longer warranties than one year.

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:40 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

I've sent a used lens in that was still under warranty w/o issue. You make a good point though. I will start asking if the item has been serviced under warranty before buying next time.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:02 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

TheWengler wrote:
I've sent a used lens in that was still under warranty w/o issue. You make a good point though. I will start asking if the item has been serviced under warranty before buying next time.

That was all this thread was intended to accomplish. I wrongly assumed he hadn't sent it in before and therefore I could pose as the original owner.... I realize I shouldn't do that anyway as its unethical...

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:29 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

That may be true.... But I want reiterate I believe this seller is a good guy and is very nice. I simply should have asked if he had it serviced ever. I would have then used a free clean/check coupon from CPS

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Warranty is not Transferable

jerbear00 wrote:
That may be true.... But I want reiterate I believe this seller is a good guy and is very nice. I simply should have asked if he had it serviced ever. I would have then used a free clean/check coupon from CPS

I don't doubt you for a second. That's why generalizations can be dangerous. OTOH, if a generalization covers most of the situations, then it's probably valid, and it's worth consideration.

I'm sure a lot of readers will be surprised to learn about that most warranties are not tranmsferrable, at least not in North America, for sure.

Good thread!

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password