Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon 1 DX Performance

I'm still in the process of finding the best settings for this new toy (which I think is the FUN part) but I thought I'd throw this one in the ring for those who have recently purchased or on the fence whether to purchase one. This was the first time I used it for night football...or any football and I normally don't lay on the shutter like this, but I wanted to see what this thing does.

This field is not one of the better it fields in our area so I thought it would be an interesting test. These images had zero processing applied. They were just resized to an 800x600 resolution for posting.

This was a 15 shot burst and the camera tracked excellent and the burst rate didn't bog down in the least.

Needless to say, so far I am pretty impressed with the performance so far. Still lots to figure out and decide what will work best for me.....but I'm looking forward to the adventure.

Thoughts or comments welcome.

Frank

EDIT:
NOTE: The lens was the 400 2.8......ISO on all was 8000 and SS was 1/800. This was also the first play of the game and the other shots up until this was just pre-game stuff. I added one of the shots (Last one in last set) with the standard PP I normally do.

Edited on Sep 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Second Set

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Third Set

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM
zSCOTTz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon 1 DX Performance

What ISO were you shooting at?

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Last Set

16 - This one was added with PP applied. Cropped to 8x10, USM applied and then reduced to 800x600 resolution.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Angry
• • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Well theres that question answered......

Darn it now I'll have to plot n save n sell something to get one....!!

Awsome stuff....

Al

Sep 29, 2012 at 01:26 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Frank: Thanks for posting these and for sharing your perceptions of the 1Dx. As a point of clarification, are you suggesting that the AF of previous 1-series bodies would not have tracked this sequence as well? Or is it the performance in poor light you're highlighting here? The existence of this new camera body is driving me crazy. I know I would love to own one, but since I never have need for ISO beyond 4000, I'm finding it hard to justify the expense given that the 1DIV is no slouch where the other features are concerned. All of which has me thinking quite a bit about the 5DIII. I'll look forward to hearing more about your thoughts as you continue to use this new toy!

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Mike Keithly
• •
p.1 #8 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Frank ... I have been shooting with the 1Dx this year and up until last night I was think the tracking on the Dx was similar to the Mark IV, I shoot using rear button focus. What I failed to do was turn the focus off on the shutter button. The shutter would over ride the back button and would cause some OOF shouts for me. after that change and using case 4 I was very pleased with its performance. It is nice shooting 8000 ISO on the poorly lit fields of High Schools.

Mike

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM
don mash
• •
p.1 #9 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Frank,

Having been working with the x for the past 5 weeks I would be interested in the setting you are using for tracking different sports. Under the purple tab, "AF" it has 5 presets to use for shooting sports. I have shot swimming, soccer and football so far and I am having a real difficult time figuring out which one works "best" for football. I have settled on Case 2 last night but still not sure. They all seem very similar. So just asking.

Russ, I can tell you that even though both the IV and X would have shot this, the X is unbelievably faster in acquiring spot on focus. When I shoot my IV as a second camera, it has a noticeable lag in getting the focus versus the X. Not saying the IV is not an excellent camera, but honestly it is hard to use the IV after shooting the X.

My 1.5 cents.....don

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Guys....I have a full day / evening of shooting football. I'll get to everyone's comments on the fly or later tonight / tomorrow.

Frank

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Guys....sorry for the delay but yesterday was literally a full day.

Russ....to answer your question....first let me say the Mark IV is a VERY good camera and I certainly loved mine and they performed excellent for me over the last few years. But in this case....something better, stronger, faster came along. Also with both of my Mark IV's.....I really don't think I ever shot a 15 shot burst before (I probably should to compare) . But the AF and tracking of the DX doesn't come close to the Mark IV......and to get to the point.....I don't believe it would have.

Mike...because it was my maiden voyage with it for night FB....I really didn't know what to expect. Normally I used a 200 1.8 but in this case I brought my 400...something I rarely did for night FB. Then once I realized that ISO 8000 was acceptable....I felt very comfortable there the rest of the night. But there is much more to learn on this thing.

Don....I went with Case 4. I also was talking to another photog friend yesterday on the sidelines and he also has a DX and we were comparing some notes and he uses Case 4 too. Here is a guide I found in the Canon Learning that gives a bit more info on the AF system that I have been using to help me out and it goes into a bit more detail.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryId=12

Hers is one I shot last night...from the same field as the night before at ISO 8000 again (SS 1/1000) and shot from the end zone. Nothing done except crop to 8x10 and resize to 8000x600. With the Mark IV I don't believe I ever shot at 8000 and got a BG that smooth before.

One other thing I thought I'd struggle a bit with is going to a FF camera. I didn't think it was a major issue yet. Some different positioning on the field but that transition went rather smooth.

So it has been a real treat so far to get to know this camera and I'm looking forward to better things to come once I get it customized to my styles.

Frank

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM
wally5656
• • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 1 DX Performance

I have been using case 2 on mine, but will try case 4. How do you turn the focus off the shutter button?

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:27 PM
wally5656
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 1 DX Performance

I have back button focus on mine but noticed the other day when I half press shutter it still focus also.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Wally: I'm not by my camera but if memory serves me (which it doesn't too often these days) you go to menu > custom function 5 > Custom Controls.

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:27 PM
wally5656
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 1 DX Performance

ok Ben I will look there! Thank you for your time!!!

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Ben....you nailed it.. Good call.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:24 PM
don mash
• •
p.1 #17 · Canon 1 DX Performance

Frank,

Thanks for the insight on the Case 4, I too am or was using that setting and 2. I have tried to mess with the others, but to be honest I can't tell the difference, other than 5 as it changes to the nearest focal point. I have shot, football, soccer and swimming. (Remind me not to shoot swimming again, at least in a HS pool that is only 25 m long, those darn kids spend most of their time under water)
Also thanks for the link, I have gone through all those tutorials, but this is the one along with focusing that is causing me the most angst.
don

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:58 PM
rbaker
• •
p.1 #18 · Canon 1 DX Performance

I've settled on Case 4 for now with my 1DX as well. My results have been very similar to Frank's. This body is so fast it's shocking...

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password