Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens ...

goneballistic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

I was shooting my kids baseball game this afternoon, and I went to rotate the body on the lens to reseat it. Occasionally it'll lose autofocus and say it can't communicate with the lens, so I unseat and reseat the lens and it works.

I pushed the lock button and rotated the camera body, it only rotates about a couple millimeters or maybe a couple more.

I cannot get this lens off. I pushed the camera body in and rotated it, pulled it out and tried rotating it, I have pushed in an twisted as hard as I dare, I have pointed the red dot up, and 90 degrees to each side and rotated, nothing. This lens is stuck firmly to this body.

Any ideas? I live in Utah, I have a kid playing college baseball and don't want to miss having the lens for the rest of his season. or for several weeks. Not to mention, it's going to cost a boatload to ship this lens with the body attached to somewhere.

Can canon even get this lens off if it won't unlock? I can't see an easy way to remove the mount from the body if the lens is attached.

I'm not sure what to do, any ideas?

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:31 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Sounds like a loose screw in the lens mount. If it is, then you might get it off by standing the lens nose down and then lift the body up a bit as you rotate it about the mount. You could gently wiggle the camera around for a bit, and maybe tap it in a way that would encourage the loose screw to tighten up a bit.

If this doesn't work, then maybe somebody at Pictureline could help out.

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:43 AM
goneballistic

p.1 #3 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

geez, I tried for most of the game to pull the lens with the body up/lens down, then i tried it lens up body down.

I keep thinking it'll just pop off, but it's stuck pretty solid....

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Sorry to hear about your predicament.
That is exactly my nightmare scenario No.2
(The No. 1 is accidentally dropping such set onto concrete or into a lake)

I have never experienced anything of the sort, and do not know what I'd do beyond of what you have tried already. Looks like you may need help from some real repair pros.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #5 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Had a similar issue with my 500F4 and 1Dmk2n 7 years ago when alf way around the world.
With the great help of Canon Holland problem solved.
Took an hour to fix..

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Do you know what they did to solve the problem, dehowie?

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM
goneballistic

p.1 #7 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

PetKal wrote:
Sorry to hear about your predicament.
That is exactly my nightmare scenario No.2
(The No. 1 is accidentally dropping such set onto concrete or into a lake)

I have never experienced anything of the sort, and do not know what I'd do beyond of what you have tried already. Looks like you may need help from some real repair pros.

well, I'm living your nightmare scenario. don't worry too much about the dropping part. last year this combo was sitting on the roof of my car, about chest high (I'm 6'4" so it's pretty high). It was sitting lens down, on the lens hood I use, which is a 6" ferco plumbing adapter. It was middle of the roof and totally safe.

suddenly a giant microburst of wind hit the car and parking lot, it tipped it over, and pushed it to the edge of the roof. I lunged for it but the monopod swung around and pulled it over the edge. It fell right on the blacktop, lens down, then onto the body. I was sick.

I picked it up, and just held my breath. I finally pushed the button and click-click-click-click. it was fine. I unmounted/remounted the lens, looked it over, not even a scratch.

the Ferco is rubber, so it cushioned it, and despite toppling over on it's side,the 1Diii body is amazingly tough and it didn't even have a scratch.

the lens I bought used from someone else, and it already looked like someone drove fence poles with it. but it's super sharp.

but now, months later, and thousands of shots, the lens inexplicably won't come off. I tried again this morning. I can't get it off the dang body.

I am going to run to pictureline and see what they say, but I am probably going to have to send it in after baseball fall ball. I just hope the lens doesn't lose communication with the body in the next couple months. I just can't even figure out how they are going to get it off anyway. there don't appear to be any ingress places to get to the pin or screw or whatever.

I am considering just pushing the pin, and muscling it off. I am sure I can shear whatever pin is in there, but that would cause a lot of damage I'm sure.

Sep 29, 2012 at 04:27 PM
goneballistic

p.1 #8 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

dehowie wrote:
Had a similar issue with my 500F4 and 1Dmk2n 7 years ago when alf way around the world.
With the great help of Canon Holland problem solved.
Took an hour to fix..

dehowie, two questions:

1) What did they do, and is it user Reproduceable, I.E. would you try it or am I shipping this beast to california?

2) how much did it cost? I'm just trying to get a feel for what this is going to run me should I have to ship it in.

Sep 29, 2012 at 04:32 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #9 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Hi Ralph
My problem was a bent locking pin.
They had to remove the mount from the body they remove the lens from the mount.
Didn't take long but will always owe Canon holland for doing it on the spot.
Great service..

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #10 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Nightmare scenario #3: same as 2 but no communication between body and lens.

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #11 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

goneballistic wrote:
I am considering just pushing the pin, and muscling it off. I am sure I can shear whatever pin is in there, but that would cause a lot of damage I'm sure.

This is the LAST thing I would do. I think the best thing to do is bring it to your local camera repair shop and see if they can fix it for you. It sound to be an issue with the mount and not the body/lens. Thus, I would think any professional repair shop should be able to fix it.

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:29 AM
goneballistic

p.1 #13 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Imagemaster wrote:

this, is exactly where I'm at. I'm 6'5" and about 330. if I lose the last little bit of patience, it will come off.

but then i'll be mad cause the camera and/or lens will be horked.

It's killing me. I tried to get to pictureline today but there was a massive traffic jam. I went to another camera store and they gave me to camera repair names but neither answered their phones.

I am dreading hearing what canon is going to charge me...

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:59 AM
goneballistic

p.1 #14 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

aarrghh. It's off. I played with it all night, just working it back and forth. it wasn't really moving much but I noticed one thing, I was hearing a little bit of a "click" when I depressed and release the lens release button, but not nearly as much as on my 7D.

I tried depressing the button and jiggling it around in all directions, trying to wiggle what I thought was a loose limiter screw back down, so it would unlock.

after a while of doing this, It felt like it "slipped" a little, or had a little bit more play. I kept the button depressed and just wiggled it back and forth several times,

finally it popped off the body. I looked immediately at the lens, the limiter screw is there but looks exactly like the one on my 24-70 and 70-200 lenses. It doesn't really look higher.

the lens release post, however, appears sort of either sheared off, or missing a little bit on the end. I the 7D release post is sort of rounded, with a little dimple in the middle, this one isn't shaped like that. it's sort of shaped like the door striker that sticks out of your door that hits the strike plate. Sort of tapered on one half.

it also doesn't appear to be rising or lowering. it's sort of stuck "in" the camera, but hanging out a little bit, which was stopping the lens from coming off.

So the question now is, if the lens mount on the body is horked, about how much are those to replace? The rest of the mount looks OK, it's just that lock pin I'm sure it won't be as much as the mount.

I'm going to take it to pictureline on Monday and see what they say about it.

I'm tired, I'll get some pics in the a.m. of the lens and mount.

Sep 30, 2012 at 07:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Sounds like it's time for a visit to Canon Service, maybe via Pictureline.

Sep 30, 2012 at 01:22 PM
goneballistic

p.1 #16 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

here is the pin. It's stuck in this position, and doesn't appear to be moving at all when I click the button.

I assume this is not something I just get and replace myself......

http://baseballsnapshots.smugmug.com/Private/1DIII-Locking-Pin/i-35qW3zr/0/M/MG8926-M.jpg">

Sep 30, 2012 at 07:46 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #17 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

mount ok on much more expensive lens = win in my book

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

That does not look like the optimum shape for a lens lock pin. I've used a lot of cameras with similar pins, and I've never seen one like that. Maybe you have nanites.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #19 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Just to be sure, do you think you should mount a different lens to see if the same thing happens?

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:18 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #20 · 400 f2.8 II stuck to Canon 1DIII. How do I get this lens off?

Ferrophot wrote:
Just to be sure, do you think you should mount a different lens to see if the same thing happens?

See if you can borrow the EF 1200 F/5.6 and give that a try

Oct 01, 2012 at 12:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password