Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

Mpking
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

I'm in the middle a new computer build with a focus on improving my post processing speeds and have been thinking about what the fastest way to get photos from card to hard drive is. It currently takes quite a while for a full card to import. I've really just broached the subject in my mind so I'm not sure what all my options even are. I'll have usb 3.0 but I'm not sure if a built in card reader would be faster.

So, what's fastest?

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820162030 and replaced the built-in reader (which was USB 2). The card reader uses 1 USB 3 source and the front USB 3 port uses a separate source.

from my Lexar CF Pro UDMA cards (600x & 1000x) i get
- Download (from CARD to PC) between 70 to 110 MB/s
- I don't usually go the other way, but a test Upload (from PC to CARD) was ~60+ MB/s

(i just clicked on the "More details" thing on the "Copying..." dialog and looked at the speed. There are other tools to get more accurate results, but after downloading 1 wedding I know it is WAY better than the old USB 2 reader.

Sep 29, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

That reader looks impressive and cheap.
More generally, you might get speedier results if you separate transfer from import. I.e. transfer the files from the card reader to an internal drive in one step with your OS or a copy utility, and then import those files into Lightroom or whatever software you use from the internal drive. Multiple steps like this are perhaps not quicker overall but they'll get the files off the cards as quickly as possible and allow you to do the next card sooner. Once all the card transfers are out of the way you can format them in your camera while your photo software is doing all of the importing from the internal drives.

Don't forget to make a second copy on a separate drive before you reformat the cards. Of course that will slow things down too. You might also want to use a photo verification program to validate the photos and so flag up any gross errors in the file transfers.

A USB 3 interface allows speedy transfers from a speedy card reader, but is of little help with a slow card reader or slow cards.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

Greggbhill wrote:
I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820162030 and replaced the built-in reader (which was USB 2). The card reader uses 1 USB 3 source and the front USB 3 port uses a separate source.

from my Lexar CF Pro UDMA cards (600x & 1000x) i get
- Download (from CARD to PC) between 70 to 110 MB/s
- I don't usually go the other way, but a test Upload (from PC to CARD) was ~60+ MB/s

(i just clicked on the "More details" thing on the "Copying..." dialog and looked at the speed. There are other tools to get more accurate results, but after downloading 1 wedding
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a nice reader but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up 2 rear USB 3.0 ports for it. I have a external hard drive and another hard drive dock that I want to have on hooked up. I'll have to check my transfer speeds to get a baseline and see where I might be able to get to based on your numbers.

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mpking
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

Alan321 wrote:
A USB 3 interface allows speedy transfers from a speedy card reader, but is of little help with a slow card reader or slow cards.

Thanks. I have a 400x CF cards right now. Is that going to be fast enough to take advantage of USB 3.0?

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:23 PM
csebasti
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

Mpking wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like a nice reader but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up 2 rear USB 3.0 ports for it. I have a external hard drive and another hard drive dock that I want to have on hooked up. I'll have to check my transfer speeds to get a baseline and see where I might be able to get to based on your numbers.

Here is another internal USB 3.0 reader option.

I just built a new computer in July, and ended up going with this reader because you can plug it in to a USB 3.0 header on the mother board. Unfortunately it uses an adapter to convert two USB plugs to a single header plug, and the USB cords are pretty thick. So there is a lot of weight and stiffness hanging off a not all that great connection at the header. I had a fair amount of trouble with this, and ended up having to get the cables zip tied at just the right place in the computer to take any stress off the header connection. Once I did that it seemed fine. But even still every so often, the thing stops working until I restart the computer. Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe they are all like this.

Anyway, just wanted to give some feedback on this other option in case you end up considering it.

Chris

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fastest way get photos from card to computer?

Mpking wrote:

my new PC has USB 3, but the one I originally bought the reader for didn't. I also bought this to add the necessary USB3 ports (also keeps all the wires inside)... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201035

i also forgot to mention that you don't have to hook up the USB port on the front (there is also a version without it) - so you only use 1 port.

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password