Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lee Circular Polarizer

JTS0719

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee Circular Polarizer

For those that use filters ... is there a big difference in the image quality output when using Lee vis a vis B+W?

Sep 28, 2012 at 09:28 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee Circular Polarizer

I seriously doubt there's a big difference. I have the B+W 105mm CPL and I like it.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee Circular Polarizer

I have the B&W 105CPL as well and owned the Lee in the past - both are great

Oct 01, 2012 at 01:58 PM
AlphaValues

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee Circular Polarizer

I haven't done a proper side by side comparison, but when I looked at my Lee photos on the monitor I immediately noticed the colors weren't shifted towards blue as much.

Not that there was a problem with B+W or that I have any complaints with them. Again, it's just my impression but I feel the Lee tends towards warmer while the B+W I have tends towards cooler tones.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:26 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee Circular Polarizer

on a side note - bought a Lee big stopper from the UK and broke it withing 24 hours haha.......ughhhh. they are so fragile that I will never buy one again unless I know I am going on a once in a lifetime trip. Otherwise the circular NDs I own will do

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

3iron
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee Circular Polarizer

Both of those are of good quality. The thing I would look for is the color shift differences between the two and see which works best with how you want to use them.
As an example, I have a BW Kaseman polarizer that adds a warm shift to everything I shoot with it. It is more intense than my Singh Ray warming polarizer.
I do not have a Lee 105 [have one on order] but I believe it adds a cooler, more blue tone. Don't know for sure about the BW unit.
Hope this is helpful.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:06 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee Circular Polarizer

3iron wrote:
Both of those are of good quality. The thing I would look for is the color shift differences between the two and see which works best with how you want to use them.
As an example, I have a BW Kaseman polarizer that adds a warm shift to everything I shoot with it. It is more intense than my Singh Ray warming polarizer.
I do not have a Lee 105 [have one on order] but I believe it adds a cooler, more blue tone. Don't know for sure about the BW unit.
Hope this is helpful.

I own the Kaseman as well but it doesnt claim to add any color shift to the image - I am under the impression the Kaseman tag refers to the construction and not the color balance....

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:12 PM
youyou

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee Circular Polarizer

I've the Lee one and its a really master piece.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:57 PM
youyou

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee Circular Polarizer

I've the Lee one and its a really master piece.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:57 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee Circular Polarizer

domdog; apologies if I wasn't clear, you are correct, bw kaseman does not claim to add color, but just like any polarizer there is a color shift or change. Some give more blues and greens etc. In my case, on my 1DX, I am seeing more of a warm tone shift.
Best wishes.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password