Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

Great timing but at the wrong place.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/photographer-snapped-photo-got-leg-broken-trouble-190322738--ncaaf.html

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

This is from a thread on SS I started a week or so

->> I got an email today from the brother of the photographer that got hurt, he had seen this thread. He had Patrick email me and let me know how he was doing and an account of what happened. The text below is the email from Patrick.

"The tibia bone was broken twice and the fibula broke once. At UT medical center they put my leg into an external fixation which is 4 pins out of the leg attached to steel rods from below the knee to above the knee to keep the leg straight until surgery which is next Friday in Asheville NC."

what happened from Patrick

to paraphrase from Patrick on what happened. The Florida QB was headed my way thought he was safe due to the angle he was running. By the time he saw the UT player coming, it was to late to react other than to turn. He says it was a violent hit between the two players, and that carried them into him below the knee.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

When your looking through a 400mm you have the time to react, because when there to close for the 400 to frame its time to run but with a 70-200 or there about, they are that much closer to you and before you know it your waking up!

Hope he recovers quickly.

Andy

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

I have seen this posted in various places and been terrified anew each time I've run into it. As I head out in a short while for a college game tonight, I'll be wishing and hoping to avoid any and all such situations. I've been close enough in the past to know it's like a freight train. Kinda makes me think I should just stay at the back of the end zone the entire game. But then I think of the time I got caught up in the net as it was raised for an extra point......

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

Russ Isabella wrote:
But then I think of the time I got caught up in the net as it was raised for an extra point......

I bet you got a uniqe angle though.

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:51 PM
hcm228
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

I had a kid bury his helmet into my larger then needed gut a couple of weeks ago. Felt pretty good about myself at first as I stood there and he rolled off to the side. Thought how tough I was that I had held up so well. Shortly after that I started seeing stars and neck started hurting. Wasnt as big of a man as I thought. They sure do get there in a hurry sometimes.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:46 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

So Russ, did you "hang in there" for the shot

Kind of like asking a carpenter if he (she) has ever cut themselves with a Skillsaw. Makes one cringe. So far, (knocking on everything here) I've manged to tuck and roll out of the way, but a couple of times it's been close. Andy's remark about the 70-200 is particularly appropriate, cause they get close real fast at that FL range.

Robert

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

OntheRez wrote:
So Russ, did you "hang in there" for the shot

Kind of like asking a carpenter if he (she) has ever cut themselves with a Skillsaw. Makes one cringe.

Robert

It's not that common among carpenters, but unfortunately I have to count myself in on that- I cut the end of my left ring finger off with my Skilsaw back in '84. Stuck my finger right into the spinning blade.

Russ, I'd say your terror is justified. That shot above is scary...

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

We....as photogs have to be ready for the unexpected at any time. Here is one where I was outside the corner of the end zone by at least 10 feet...not the goal line but the back corner. And this guy is coming full steam right at me and I got ready for impact. Then he veers right at the last second and I was spared. As he was passing me he said..."Hey - did you get that run"?

Sep 30, 2012 at 05:45 AM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

Frank Lauri wrote:
...As he was passing me he said..."Hey - did you get that run"?

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:43 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

Tom D wrote:
It's not that common among carpenters, but unfortunately I have to count myself in on that- I cut the end of my left ring finger off with my Skilsaw back in '84. Stuck my finger right into the spinning blade.

Russ, I'd say your terror is justified. That shot above is scary...

Tom, as a master carpenter with 40 years experience I can absolutely guarantee that anyone who has done it as a living for a while has scars to prove it. (There is always something that wants a piece of you.) I don't really want to remember the time I was rebuilding a lift shack (wiped out by an avalanche) in a blizzard when my saw hit a frozen knot and kicked back. Just the day before I was telling myself, "I need to replace the return spring on the blade guard as it's not really popping back correctly." Ugh. Blood on the mountain.

As the sergeant on the old "Hill Street Blues" used to say, "Now people, be careful out there."

Robert

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:19 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

I have been hit on the sideline,but the worse was a basketball game. I was sitting under the basket, seen a blur then felt a hand in my chest. Next thing I remember I was laying upside down in the 2nd row with a 6'9" 250# man climbing off of me. My floor camera was about 10' away luckily not busted just scuffed up. My handheld camera was about 3 rows past me in a spectators lap pretty scuffed up with blood on the lcd screen. When the player hit me the ball hit my lens and pushed the camera into my face busting my nose. I had a hand print bruise on my chest and was pretty sore and banged up, but nothing broke including gear. So be careful outhere

Andy

Oct 01, 2012 at 09:55 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Be careful on the sidelines!!

You have to watch the little guys too. An 8 year old with a helmet and a little momentum can knock you for a loop. It's hard to look cool for a little while after that.

Marty

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:01 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.