Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Lance Couture
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Hi Gang,

Long time, no talk.

So, I've been getting a little frustrated with my gear lately, and I would like to ditch one of my bodies, and upgrade one. The trouble is, I dont know which way to go.

(For the sake of reference, my gear is in my profile)

The money I do make from photography (which *barely* supports the habit) at this point in time, is shooting my dog sport. Therefore, I need at least one sports body. This is why I have a 7D - to back up my 1D3. I do need something which can shoot in the rain, so a 1-series is preferable, but "sealed" should be enough.

Most of my family and walk-about shooting though, ie my workhorse, is my 5D. If I need my 5D in inclimate weather, I use my 1D3.

So what is my issue?

My 1D3 simply doesnt have the resolution I want for enlarged deep crops. My 7D - I really dont like the bokeh from shots with a background which is close to the subject (which is often the case with my dog stuff), but the resolution and reach are just awesome. Don't get me wrong, I really like the IQ from the 7D, but more often than not, I simply prefer images from my 5D/1D3.

My 5D - trusty and generates beautiful images, but its not good for sports, not weather sealed, the AF is just ASS compared to my 1D3 and 7D, and has fairly short ISO compared to today's bodies like my 7D.

So, I would like to move down to two bodies, but complementary for my needs - I just dont know what two.

I have to make the move relatively cost-neutral, so please dont suggest I get a 5D3 and a 1D4 - that is just not in the financial cards.

If I move my 7D, I might as well move my 17-55 too, which will help offset cost.

So what are thoughts from people who have shot all of these bodies in question?

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:01 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

can you even get away with just a 5D3? better af than the 7D but worse fps, worse reach too (but can't you get close enough for dog shooting? i've never done that though so I don't really know)

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:06 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

I didn't vote because I've never shot a 1D3 or 5D3 but I've spent the summer shooting Radio Control events with a 7D / 1D4 combo & that's been an excellent combo. Up till this year it was a 1Ds2 & 7D but after a whole lot of research in the spring when I also considered adding a D800 to my bag the 1D4 was a better fit thanks to the lack of lenses in a Nikon mount needed for my use.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:11 AM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

skibum5 wrote:
can you even get away with just a 5D3? better af than the 7D but worse fps, worse reach too (but can't you get close enough for dog shooting? i've never done that though so I don't really know)

Always need two bodies for an event, so no, one body is not enough.

I learned that the hard way at a regional-level event many years ago when my body died right before the closing/awards ceremonies...

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:18 AM
jdidomenico
• •
p.1 #5 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

I have a 7D and a 5DIII and love the combination and versatility of having a full frame and 1.6 crop. The performance of the 5DIII is superb but there are times when I go out for birds and wildlife and the extra reach of the 7D is hard to pass up. Sometimes during PP I crave the IQ of the 5DIII but when you get the 7D set right it performs great and provides great images. A good "L"lens helps too sure wish I had a 500 f4 is II...

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:23 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Why not a 5d2 in any of your combinations? I think you would be better off with 5d2 and 1d4 if the budget allows.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:28 AM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

JohnBrose wrote:
Why not a 5d2 in any of your combinations? I think you would be better off with 5d2 and 1d4 if the budget allows.

Budget.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:33 AM
bbasiaga
• •
p.1 #8 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

If I am doing the math right, the area of the APS-H sensor in the 1DSIII, dividied by the 10megapixels gives you about 52.5 square millimeters per megapixel. On the 5DIII the ame calculation gives 38.7. So for cropping purposes the 5dMKIII actually gives you more pixels in the same area - meaning it has a reach advantage over the 1DIII. It is 4fps slower though, but it has some weather sealing and provides the excellent FF IQ you're used to with the 5D.

That coupled with your 7D would be a pretty versatile line up. I voted that way. You'd also only have to have one set of batteries.

If you want to mainain the 1D body style, you'll have to go with the 1DIV and your 5D.

-Brian

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:48 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Keep your 7D and get a 5DMk3. Don't worry about weather-sealing in rainy weather. I live in SW BC and have shot in the rain with everything from 10D to 7D without problems. If you have to shoot with either the 7D or 5DMk3 in heavy rain, just put a plastic baggy around the body.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:54 AM
Kmccarthy

p.1 #10 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Honestly, I think all you need is a 5D III. Once you get used to the IQ, it will be hard to go back to the other bodies. With the lenses you have and the extender, you will have plenty of reach. I would sell the three bodies and the 17-55 and get yourself a 5DIII! If you need a backup body get a cheap t2i. It would also double as a light travel camera.

Sep 28, 2012 at 03:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Imagemaster wrote:
Keep your 7D and get a 5DMk3. Don't worry about weather-sealing in rainy weather. I live in SW BC and have shot in the rain with everything from 10D to 7D without problems. If you have to shoot with either the 7D or 5DMk3 in heavy rain, just put a plastic baggy around the body.

What are you shooting with these days, Tony?

My only worry about the 5D3 is the low fps compared to that of a 1-series. 6fps is a far cry from 10, so if you're using a 5D3, are you finding you're missing frames due to the slower speed?

I live in Vancouver, so I'm well-versed in shooting when the skies are open. I just feel safer shooting a 1 than I do my 7, let alone something like an x0 body. I just usually cut a hole in a kitchen garbage bag, use the lens hood to secure it, and put the bag over lens and body... cheap and it works.

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #12 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

I have a 1d4, 5d3, 7d & a couple 1d3's.....

I've found myself l loving the 5d3 for night football & senior portraits.. completely polar opposite photo jobs that's how versitle this camera is. I've recently found a rekindled likeing to my 7d & 100-400 for high noon (i.e. lots of light) sports because of the reach.... but nothing can touch my 1d4 and a 400 2.8 for field sports.... I have a nitch for every "body" I've kept....

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:56 AM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I have a 1d4, 5d3, 7d & a couple 1d3's.....

I've found myself l loving the 5d3 for night football & senior portraits.. completely polar opposite photo jobs that's how versitle this camera is. I've recently found a rekindled likeing to my 7d & 100-400 for high noon (i.e. lots of light) sports because of the reach.... but nothing can touch my 1d4 and a 400 2.8 for field sports.... I have a nitch for every "body" I've kept....

This is exactly why I have a 5/7/1D3 - each has a purpose and place. The problem is that I dont have the money to move the 5D to a 5D2 as well as move the 1D3 to a 1D4, so I have to compromise somewhere.

With that said, I dont have a 400/2.8 to slap onto any of my bodies, but that's a different story entirely....

Sep 28, 2012 at 06:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Hi Lance,

How about a 5DII and 1DIV? I have nothing against the 5DIII (I currently have a 1DX), but if you can't get the job done with the 5DII and 1DIV, than it ain't the gear...

Last year, I sold my 7D and 1DIII to get a 1DIV, hoping it would be the best of both cameras. It's better.

Jim

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Lance Couture wrote:
What are you shooting with these days, Tony?

My only worry about the 5D3 is the low fps compared to that of a 1-series. 6fps is a far cry from 10, so if you're using a 5D3, are you finding you're missing frames due to the slower speed?

I live in Vancouver, so I'm well-versed in shooting when the skies are open. I just feel safer shooting a 1 than I do my 7, let alone something like an x0 body. I just usually cut a hole in a kitchen garbage bag, use the lens hood to secure it, and put
...Show more

Lance, I currently have a 7D and 1DMk4. If a 7D replacement comes out with better AF in AI Servo, I will probably get rid of both and go to a 7X and a 5DMk3. I would have no problem with 6 FPS for wildlife.

Sep 28, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #16 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Lance,

What do you shoot that you need to do "Deep crops", and how deep is deep? I've always thought Bokeh was a lens property. I've found the 7D files don't hold up to post processing like a 1d3. I ditched my 7d for a long time before picking it up again. I just didn't like the way the files looked compared to my other cameras. I'm using it a bit more this fall for field sports where I'm shooting 5-11 hours straight and just get tired shooting a 400 2.8. Being a sports guy, I fill the frame or I don't shoot it, it's that simple. That's why the 7d is "OK", I don't over process the images and they work. I rely on IQ and shooting loose and fixing it in post isn't an option. Having a 7d & a 100-400 reach shouldn't be a problem for you. Unless you see a need to go ultra high ISO, the bodies you have are fine. Maybe an upgrade to a 5d2 via the customer loyalty program could be an option.

You and I have a lot of the same gear. I find my gear really isn't the limiting factor, I've just learned to know the limits of my gear and shoot within it. I don't go to a shoot knowing that I need an 800mm but shoot a 400 and try to fix it in post, you just can't do that with consistant results. Hope this helps...

Ralph

Sep 28, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Lance,

How about a 5DII and 1DIV? I have nothing against the 5DIII (I currently have a 1DX), but if you can't get the job done with the 5DII and 1DIV, than it ain't the gear...

Last year, I sold my 7D and 1DIII to get a 1DIV, hoping it would be the best of both cameras. It's better.

Jim

I just dont have the budget to upgrade both sides of the equation, so moving up to a 5D2 and a 1D4 is simply out of my range financially.

Sep 28, 2012 at 04:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

How about keeping the 5D and getting a 1DIV? Selling the 1DIII, 7D, and 17-55/2.8 should just about cover it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

Ralph Thompson wrote:
Lance,

What do you shoot that you need to do "Deep crops", and how deep is deep? I've always thought Bokeh was a lens property. I've found the 7D files don't hold up to post processing like a 1d3. I ditched my 7d for a long time before picking it up again. I just didn't like the way the files looked compared to my other cameras. I'm using it a bit more this fall for field sports where I'm shooting 5-11 hours straight and just get tired shooting a 400 2.8. Being a sports guy, I fill the frame or
...Show more

Hi Ralph,

I shoot an obscure dog sport you've probably never heard of... and I dont say that in a cool, hipster sort of way.

You're right about bokeh being a lens property, but what I find from my 7D is that b/c the DoF is so much longer, I get less subject isolation, and less of a blurred background. Usually, these dog trials take place on club fields which are surrounded by awful combinations of bushes, trees, chain link fences, cars, and people. All of these factors together make for some hideous and sometimes very nervous backgrounds which simply cannot be avoided.

I do try to work within the limits of my gear, but when shooting my 1D3/100-400, there are times I am FL-limited. Even though the sport takes place on a field, I am only ever allowed to shoot from a fixed position on the sidelines, which means at some point, I am always trying to get one aspect of the action diagonally across the field. Those times usually require a deep crop, and the 10MP of the 1D3 are tough to work from. The 7D is obviously much better, but then I run into the background issue again.

The 1D4 would be the obvious solution simply due to the increase in MP. The 5D3 is an interesting option b/c it is honestly the camera I have been waiting for, but then I'm FL-limited (which, I know, is reduced due to the high MP) and has much slower fps. For some aspects of the bitework of the sport, moving from 10fps to 6fps would result in some lost shots.

High ISO will also help b/c the 100-400 is a bit of a dog in anything but great light. The f/5.6 at 400 kills me more often than not, and even mid-day, I'm having to shoot at 3200 ISO just to get a high enough shutter speed, because most trials for this sport occur in the fall/spring when its overcast and raining. Either a 1D4 or 5D3 would suit this need.

One thing I do use a lot is the AF point linked spot metering of my 1D3. Unfortunately the 5D3 does not have that. I dont know if that is a deal-breaker for me, but its definitely not a plus.

Sep 28, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Lance Couture
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Help me upgrade and condense my bodies

jcolwell wrote:
How about keeping the 5D and getting a 1DIV? Selling the 1DIII, 7D, and 17-55/2.8 should just about cover it.

It should be one of the options in the poll.

I have thought about it, but then my backup camera would be severely limited for sports shooting.

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password