Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I was taking a look at a few images, and thought this might be a worthwhile purchase, but I was wondering If it increased the noise a lot with its effects.
I realize you can't get something for nothing, and this seems to almost promise that, but its worth asking.
basically If you have used it or use it now . let me know what you think.

Sep 27, 2012 at 06:50 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I have it but rarely used it since the native tools of Photoshop can almost satisfy almost all my needs.

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:04 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I have it and love it... You can use "control points: to fine tune an image. Noise is not a problem unless you push it too far... Nik Define is great for reducing noise...

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:21 PM
peteygas
• •
p.1 #4 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I Tried it a few months ago , and now It's permanently in my workflow . Just a few clicks replaces a lot of photoshop fiddling

Sep 27, 2012 at 08:31 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I'm addicted to "tonal contrast" perhaps as mshi states you can do it all in photoshop but not with a couple of clicks.
I just hope Google dosen't do away with it or stop the development. Hate to see it die a lonely death.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

WAYCOOL wrote:
I'm addicted to "tonal contrast" perhaps as mshi states you can do it all in photoshop but not with a couple of clicks.
I just hope Google dosen't do away with it or stop the development. Hate to see it die a lonely death.

You can build your own actions so that you can do things much faster than using third-party stuff. Nik's Tonal Contrast effects, for example, can be easily achieved by using Hollywood's Freaking Details technique, and you end up having much more control and much faster speed without using Nik's. By using Smart Object, you can always fine tune and make new adjustments without having to start it over from scratch again.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM
the888account
• •
p.1 #7 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I also use this on occasions (but do use Dfine and Silver Efex alot) and quite like what it does.

Agreed - Hopefully google wont ruin it! At least we have the original softwares before they instagram every preset.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I use Lightroom, not Photoshop, for all my image editing and I find Color Efex Pro to be a very useful tool in conjunction with Lightroom.
The interface between LR and Color Efex seems to be almost seamless

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:05 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Sounds like a useful purchase, and looks like a nice way to finish things off. thanks !

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:37 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Use it regularly in my workflow. There are some nice tools such as Nik Control Points that are pretty near impossible to mimic in the same time period in PS. CEP 4 allows filter stacking and they have added some new filters and removed some of the old ones that had virtually no appeal. Try out the 15 day demo and while you are at it check out their webinars for some training.

Sep 29, 2012 at 05:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

mshi wrote:
You can build your own actions so that you can do things much faster than using third-party stuff. Nik's Tonal Contrast effects, for example, can be easily achieved by using Hollywood's Freaking Details technique, and you end up having much more control and much faster speed without using Nik's. By using Smart Object, you can always fine tune and make new adjustments without having to start it over from scratch again.

Most people don't have the time or knowledge to do that. It's all about getting a fast & good solution to something that you can't do.
And I can't really see how it could be "much faster" either. If I build my own plugins or actions they are not much faster than the ones I buy

Sep 29, 2012 at 08:09 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Lars, I was going to respond much the same way but some people prefer to use Photoshop not matter what I think of them as purest. So I let it slide, whatever tools we use to get the job done, but I do love my Nik

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:51 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #13 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

uintaangler wrote:
I use Lightroom, not Photoshop, for all my image editing and I find Color Efex Pro to be a very useful tool in conjunction with Lightroom.

+1

Great program - I also use Tiffen DFX - but NIK is my mainstay

Sep 29, 2012 at 02:59 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #14 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Hopefully google wont ruin it!

I doubt that Google is going to be in the photo processing plug-in business. They bought Nik for Snapseed, not Viveza and the rest of the plugins. I just hope Google sells off the plugins, rather than just letting them die a quiet death.

John

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:28 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #15 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I use it as well and love it. Not only can you make actions and stack filters, but you can also copy/paste control points as well. CEP4 and SEP2 are my two favorite. I agree that Dfine works pretty well for NR too.

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:52 PM
markadams99
• •
p.1 #16 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

uintaangler wrote:

Yes, but I don't know how to batch process from the Lightroom plugin and batch processing is pretty vital.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Lance_K
• • •
p.1 #17 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

Is it possible to pick up a software copy used?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:42 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

markadams99 wrote:
Yes, but I don't know how to batch process from the Lightroom plugin and batch processing is pretty vital.

Yes, there is a way to batch process out of Lightroom. I've done it, but don't have the details with me right now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM
markadams99
• •
p.1 #19 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

I realise now that it's pretty straightforward to batch process from Lightroom to Color Efex (+the rest, I suppose):

Highlight a batch of images in LR, edit in Color Efex, edit the first image, Save All, then it saves the edited images back to LR. I use a lower quality for multiple images (jpeg,8-bit), if reasonable, to save time and space.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #20 · Nik color efex pro 4-Anyone use it ?

CEP & SEP are the two programs I use a lot, even though I bout their entire software suite.

John Caldwell

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password