Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

wjfagan

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Hello everyone - I've been away from photography for a long while, and I'm working on rebuilding my skills. I hope you can provide some C&C on my sports work. I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle. I hope I'm doing this right...

Thanks for the help and feedback.

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Hi Will....first off Welcome to FM Sports. This will be a great place to rebuild and make new friends. My first recommendation would be to bump the size of your images that you post to approx. 800x600....these are just a tad small.

Then to post a few more (8-10 for C&C and no more than 20 if you are just posting images for everyone to look at) with exif intact so others can few. I looked at one thru PS and the SS was reading something like 625/1000000 so I'm not sure if that means 1/625 for a Nikon.

Regarding your images....I like the fact that they are tight. You will hear that a lot around here. Just gotta know where to draw the line. That's where #2 might be just a wee too tight. Not by much....but with these little guys....they seem to collect in a ball of bodies and you really can't tell who has the ball.

For #1 - if I'm going to nit.....the left foot of the ball carrier is cut off along with the fingers of the tackler.

#3 - I like it...bummer the defenders are in the shot. Would had made a great "Heisman" type pose for the little guy.

You have clean backgrounds....exposures all look good....you seem to have been in good position for the shots....overall I like them and looks like you are back in the saddle.

I do have another question though on #1. Looking at the position of the ball carrier and tackler...then I look at the player in the rear distance...which seems like a pretty decent separation....yet those kids are all facing the opposite direction of the play. What's up with that?

A few recommendations for youth sports shooting....if you are shooting for sales.....shoot other stuff too and not just the action. Fans, water boys, cheerleader, refs, coaches, umpires.....they are all part of the mix and I've gotten sales from every one of these types. If you don't shoot it you can't sell it.

Will I don't know if you did your share of "lurking" here but if not....check previous posts here because you'll find loads of useful information that may answer a question before it becomes a question.

So I hope I've offered you some useful info to get you started back into photography and hope to see more posts from you.

Take care
Frank

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Welcome to the Sports Corner. Critique can at times seem harsh, but it is usually given with the intent to help you improve and not to be mean. I think Frank's comments cover what I was going to say, so I'll leave it at that. From your EXIF I am guessing that you shoot with a 200mm f2.8 with a 1.7 TC so framing is limited by position and you may need to move as the action comes closer (if possible).

Keep shooting and posting, and when you post try to remember to add an image number to help with the comments. It looks like you have a good start to your sports photography.

Bill

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wjfagan

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Thanks, fellas, I really do appreciate the feedback.

I'll post up some more tonight, and these a little larger. What's the standard - 800x600 @ 300ppi?

I am using a 70-200 f/2.8 with the 1.7x when the light allows - have to save up for my 400 f/2.8! I'm also using a D2x and D90 until I can afford to upgrade.

I have some other stuff besides action that I'll share in my next set. I actually like shooting features more than action - though with my son in the game, I get a little wrapped up in the on-field stuff.

Frank, regarding your question about the rest of the team facing away from the play, all I can say is, it's 3rd grade ball. And thanks a lot for the kind words, advice and criticism.

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Will thanks for the clarification on that. The reason I asked is knowing that age level can go in any direction...to include a scrimmage where there may be different things happening on the field at the same time.

Kinda like shooting a pitcher during warm ups between innings then seeing a ball used by the infielders in the frame of the shot.

I just want to understand that wasn't the case.

Thanks
Frank

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:32 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Member: Youth Sports 3-pack

Hi Wjfagam,
Welcome to the forum. It truly is a great place to learn. There are some great photographers with a wealth of knowledge who graciously and generously share their comments with the rest of us to benefit. Realize that nothing is ever perfect, but having the ability to see imperfection is the only way for us to minimize and improve.

To answer you posting question, it truly is downsized to 800x600 Pixels. Lightroom or Photoshop easily do it or a host of other programs. Let me know if you need further help.

I enjoyed your shots. My youngest is also 3rd grade but has chosen to follow his sisters in Soccer.

One last thing to note, Russ is one of the most giving and talented on the board.

Guy

Sep 28, 2012 at 03:18 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password