Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Bye bye dslr...

gvg45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Bye bye dslr...

I tried to go small a while ago. I picked up a new (at the time) S90. Yeah, its small and can fit in my pocket but the IQ is no where near that of a 5D...even in good light. I'm now back to carrying my DSLR & my wife has the S90 in her bag.

An option you may not have considered is picking up a 40mm f/2.8 pancake. Its much smaller than the 35L and you will be able to keep the IQ of the 5D. I know you will probably go the P&S/compact body route, but when you come back its something to consider.

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:13 AM
benee
• • •
p.3 #2 · Bye bye dslr...

I'd keep the 5d/35 combo. I certainly hear your frustration, though. Sometimes, you just want a camer with great image quality to take out with friends, on family outings etc... I have tried a point and shoot for this purpose, and am not satisfied. It cant be a chore to take a DSLR on an outing.

If I were you, I'd probably get the X100, or maybe an XE-1.... this is something I'm considering down the road myself. I can't give up my 5D or lenses, though for moments of serious shooting/portrait sessions.

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:22 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.3 #3 · Bye bye dslr...

Why not keep your 5d for serious shootings and carry a smaller camera for taking snapshots of your friendly gatherings and other moments where you don't want to carry the 5d...?

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:43 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · Bye bye dslr...

I had Canon DSLRs, up to a 5D II, then III, and Zeiss primes, an looked for a smaller system that I could take everywhere. First a NEX 5, then 5N, then a 7, with an assortment of Zeiss and Leica primes. Last month I kissed my DSLR and primes good-bye. Last week-end I went on my first major shoot post-DSLR, and didn't miss it one bit.
But the two systems are so different that, if you are looking for a mirrorless to replace your 5D+35L, for get it. There are just too many things it doesn't do as well. That is true for the NEX as it is for all other mirrorless. But you will discover things a mirrorless does better than a 5D, and the question becomes: am I overall better off?
In my case, the NEX goes with me everywhere, litterally everywhere. And the fact that I do that gives me many photo opportunities that I otherwise wouldn't have. No way could I go into business meetings with a 5D and 4 primes. No way I could take it with me everywhere all the time. Once that was established, I saw the 5D down to less than 5% of my shooting time, and it was gave over.
How much have I lost in IQ? I don't think I have lost anything actually. But that is because my shooting is well suited to the NEX: almost only still targets, and very little use for thin DOF. And my primes are not exactly cheap.
One mor thing. Mirrorless performance is advancing so fast, it is only a matter of time for someone in the M-mount space to introduce a FF mirrorless with interchangeable lenses, and my investment in M lenses will be just fine. Or I will love the Sony RX1, and be happy.

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Bye bye dslr...

How small do you want? Everything follows from there.

I bought an x10 for may walkaround and i'm very pleased with it. Like you i don't want to carry round an SLR with big lens all the time. I wanted a camera with zoom that would fit in a Lowepro pouch on a backpack, or in my pocket. And i didn't want to compromise image quality too much. The x10 does an excellent job for what it is. If i had more money and was buying now an RX100 would be seriously considered also. If i'd wanted a fixed 35mm FL i'd get the X100.

I didn't buy a NEX because to me it is too much of a compromise in size and weight, despite the better IQ - the point of my purchase was to avoid carrying around my lens collection, not to find a smaller body to fit them on. Others have different priorities, and this option is perfect for them.

A third option is to fit a pancake lens (probably the new 40mm) to an old Rebel body. That would be fairly portable and keep the SLR IQ and VF. Again for me it is still too bulky, but maybe not for you.

Decide what you *really* want from this purchase and the solution will probably present itself...

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:22 AM
Access
• • •
p.3 #6 · Bye bye dslr...

Here, if it helps, here are some comparison photos I took a while back of the different setups with appropriately sized bags.

each kit has a ND filter, polarizer, flash; the Canon (FF) has an 85mm and 40mm lens; the u4/3 one a 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm lens (28, 40, 90 equiv). The battery in photos 4/5 is not part of the kit, I was just using it to weight to the bag so the true height could be shown.

In terms of bulk, the DSLR is a little over twice the size (volume). For weight, it's 3-4x.

Honestly there is no reason to sell the DSLR, if you do there will be plenty of times when you miss it. The entry level micro four thirds bodies can be found for $100 to $200 these days if you shop around and a pancake prime isn't much more than that. You don't have to sell your DSLR to fund that.

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:05 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #7 · Bye bye dslr...

goosemang wrote:
the x100 is useless for servo, but regular one shot AF is waaay better now than like 9 months ago. firmware really helped - a lot. it's even pretty good in low light now. but if you use servo forget it.

new x-e1 model is supposedly way better, but I have no experience with it

Oh I dunno, I have had some success with the servo mode:

La Vie en Bleu 2012 by jj_glos, on Flickr

I do say "some" success though, as it definitely isn't the best tool for the job! The servo doesn't seem to good at all when using wider apertures. I like using the X100 and it's my take anywhere camera as it can easily be chucked into another bag etc. However if I know I want the performance of a DLSR I always take it and just stick it on a black rapid strap. If I just want the one lens that's all I take and I hardly notice it is there (and that includes a 1Ds2 and 70-200!).

Sep 27, 2012 at 09:17 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Bye bye dslr...

I shoot about 90% of the time with my 5Dmk2 + 35L for paid work. And non-paid work at the moment. In addition I have a 135L (which I'm going to sell), 55 f/1.2 FL, OM 24 f/2.8, and SP 17mm f/3.5.

A Fuji XE-1 is pre-ordered. Shortly followed by 18mm f/2 and 35mm f/1.4. DSLR will be relegated to paid work and times when ultimate landscape (see: Fuji watercolor)/IQ is required.

And I'm thrilled.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Bye bye dslr...

I use 1DX and 1DIV for most photography, and I use Fujifilm X-Pro 1 and X100 for times when the DSLR are just too big, noisy, and intrusive. Aside from their size and weight, contemporary 1D-series cameras blow away the mirrorless competition in most aspects of performance, at least so far.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM
russellnadler
• •
p.3 #10 · Bye bye dslr...

I appreciate everyone's feed back. Ideally I'd love to keep the DSLR, and I probably will. But knowing the kind of person I am, once I go small, I doubt I'll want to bring the big 5Dc kit with me. Fuji has been on my radar for a while, and the new XE-1 is definitely something to consider, especially with the Fuj 35 1.4 (unless zeiss blows it out of the water). I would do the x100, but from what I heard the camera is getting a bit old and does not see much support any more (although, 5dc doesnt either )

Size wise, I've come to terms that nothing will be a replacement and fit in my pocket. The best I can hope for is a camera around my neck all day, assuming its not a heavy monster.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Bye bye dslr...

I agree that lugging out my 5DII + grip and lenses can be burdensome since it is a bit bulky. However, I don't think I could ever give up my DSLR for a mirrorless/compact system. I mean, that is what my iPhone is for. I don't mind lugging out my DSLR kit when I want to take pictures where I know I'm going to want to print out quite large prints from (my iPhone certainly can't do that).

Plus, you have a pretty nice set up going on with your 5Dc + 35L. If I were in your shoes, I certainly would consider keeping your DSLR. But the final decision is ultimately up to you.

-Nick

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:21 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Bye bye dslr...

gvg45 wrote:
An option you may not have considered is picking up a 40mm f/2.8 pancake.

I was also going to suggest picking up the 40. It still has thinnish DOF on FF, and it's tiny with great IQ...

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:31 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Bye bye dslr...

You actually have a plethora of choices depending on priority with size, dof control, low light shooting, autofocus speed, and image quality, and of course compromises have to be made.
at truly pocketable you are looking at panasonic lx5-7 or canon s100. I have the lx-5 and I think at iso 400 and below its awesome. fast lens, goes to 24, truly pocketable. you can actually get a view finder for it, but makes it more of a range finder. The sony RX-100 is also awesome. excellent image quality and a fast lens on the wide end, and larger sensor than the compacts with excellent low light performance.
Next up in size are the micro 4/3 and Nex. I have a 5N also which is fantastic. the new 6N with the built in OVF and flash, and the new 16-50 pancake lens with wifi I think may be the best compromise as an overall package. not Jean pocketable, but pants or jacket pocketable with excellent image quality. sony is also releasing a 35 1.8 oss, or you can mount the relatively small and excellent and cheap sigma 30 2.8 or 19-2.8 (closer to 35mm fov) or get the zeiss . you obviously loose some dof control over your 5d combo. OMD is another very attractive option with smaller sensor, and a little over priced, but excellent.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Bye bye dslr...

I have 2 friends that went from DSLR to the NEX7.....Both love the decision. One of the people posts on here. He also used the 5d this is his profile. Good friend, good dude. PM him with questions if you would like: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=Mitchell+Derr

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Bye bye dslr...

jj_glos wrote:
Oh I dunno, I have had some success with the servo mode:

But photographing moving vehicles is hardly as difficult as shooting birds flying erratically.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:27 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · Bye bye dslr...

I use a 5d as a P&S go-everywhere camera, but it is large. Before you decide exactly what you want, you could add the new 40mm f/2.8 pancake to substantially reduce the size and weight (make sure it has the fix applied). It's a surprisingly good lens and has made slogging the body much easier.

I'd look at the OM-D, NEX, or possibly the new Fuji(s). There may be other releases this year, but who knows?

Oh yeah, skip the EOS M - it's just one more down market and over priced release from Canon.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #17 · Bye bye dslr...

jamesf99 wrote:
I use a 5d as a P&S go-everywhere camera, but it is large. Before you decide exactly what you want, you could add the new 40mm f/2.8 pancake to substantially reduce the size and weight (make sure it has the fix applied). It's a surprisingly good lens and has made slogging the body much easier.

Actually I find this lens tends to attract more attention than usual... yes it's smaller than a normal lens and a very versatile focal length but the annoyance factor... I've had more people than I can remember (presumably photographers) just come up to me out of the blue and ask me how I liked the lens, how good it was, wanting to see it up close and even taking a photo of me while I am using the camera and lens combination. All while I'm trying to do a shoot or take video. Hopefully this will wane over time.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:07 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #18 · Bye bye dslr...

Imagemaster wrote:
But photographing moving vehicles is hardly as difficult as shooting birds flying erratically.

I never said it was You're going to have to get pretty close with an X100 as well!

The X100 AF isn't a standout feature (not in a positive way at least!), but it does the job it does. As I use a DSLR in servo mode with a lens wide open and outer AF points quite a lot, it is a whole different ball game when I pick up the X100! I still think it is a nice little camera though, and I imagine would excel at street and travel photography. I don't get to shoot either of those though After the wedding shoot I have Saturday I am considering selling the X100, 7D and 1Ds2 to get a 5D3... although there's always the niggling little thought about getting a D800 instead :o

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:13 PM
mfoto
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Bye bye dslr...

Have you seen the new X-E1 from Fuji. Paired with a 23 1.4 lens (coming out next year) it should be a nice alternative to your 5Dc and 35 1.4

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:49 PM
russellnadler
• •
p.3 #20 · Bye bye dslr...

mfoto wrote:
Have you seen the new X-E1 from Fuji. Paired with a 23 1.4 lens (coming out next year) it should be a nice alternative to your 5Dc and 35 1.4

That is exactly what I was about to post!! Even the X-E1 with the 35 1.4 would be doable (granted its a different FL). What is drawing me now to Fuji over Sony is the lenses. I would get the Nex 5n or 7, but I'd have to pair it with the zeiss 24 1.8, which will be around $2k - the Rx1 can be found for $2.5k, and will probably blow away the Nex in terms of performance (ff vs crop).

The Fuji on the other hand will be well under 2k with lenses, and is hopefully going to be an improvement to the x100

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:53 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password