Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Bye bye dslr...

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Bye bye dslr...

russellnadler wrote:
The nex6 & 7 are very nice indeed. The size of the RX 100 seems very appealing though!

I've a G12 and am truly amazed at it's utility and IQ, it's a P&S but ain't to bad. My eye is on the NEX 6, lots of my old FD glass might be a good match. A FF NEX would be in my bag in an instant

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:02 AM
russellnadler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Bye bye dslr...

Thats the issue though - its in the bag, not the pocket. If I'm going to bring a bag with a camera, I would clutch onto my 5D + 35L for dear life

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:03 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Bye bye dslr...

russellnadler wrote:
Thats the issue though - its in the bag, not the pocket. If I'm going to bring a bag with a camera, I would clutch onto my 5D + 35L for dear life

If size is the issue you need to either decide which prime can live on your camera or go with a zoom. I use the a GX1 with a LV2 viewfinder and Pana 20 f 1.7 or Pana 14-42. The prime is nice, but kind of slow focusing. The zoom quality is not the best, but is very versatile. If I shot a lot of portraits I would look at the Oly 45. If had a bigger budget I would look at Panasonic 7-14

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:18 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Bye bye dslr...

russellnadler wrote:

With the exception of the P&Ss (RX100, S100), none of the other recommendations (especially those with interchangeable lenses) are going to fit in your pocket.

At the end of the day, these mirrorless cameras aren't small enough to make a difference in real weight and size savings for me. I totally understand those that are hiking or traveling a lot will feel the "savings" more, however if I'm going somewhere for a short time, I just bring my 5D or a decent P&S (HS300, in my case). I would love to spend $300-600 on a nice point and shoot someday.

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:25 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Bye bye dslr...

The camera you have with you is always better than the one you left at home....

The P&S cameras still have a place because of this. Going out to a club, bar, restaurant, etc isn't really a place for a full fledged DSLR, unless you are REALLY dedicated. Look for the nicest camera you can fit in your pocket and be happy. The recently announced Canons look pretty sweet.

Hang on to that DSLR though for those times you want to go out with some more 'serious' hardware.

-Brian

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:35 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Bye bye dslr...

I LOVE my NEX system. I have two 5N's and pack a few primes (usually one on each body, and maybe one more). It's so much fun, and my kit is tiny compared to my FF kit. For landscape/nature/city, it's excellent. I don't feel that I lose much in terms of IQ, and I gain alot in terms of flexibility (the articulating screen makes a lot of shots possible that would be a HUGE PITA with 5D2).

For moving people, action, etc., it's not great. Maybe OMD is better there? I could not live without a DSLR for that reason.

So what do you shoot with your 35L??

Go over to the alt forum and look at the NEX thread for lots of samples. There is also a very active OMD thread going.

Can you just add a 5N or the like and test the waters?

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:46 AM
russellnadler
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Bye bye dslr...

mco_970 wrote:
I LOVE my NEX system. I have two 5N's and pack a few primes (usually one on each body, and maybe one more). It's so much fun, and my kit is tiny compared to my FF kit. For landscape/nature/city, it's excellent. I don't feel that I lose much in terms of IQ, and I gain alot in terms of flexibility (the articulating screen makes a lot of shots possible that would be a HUGE PITA with 5D2).

For moving people, action, etc., it's not great. Maybe OMD is better there? I could not live without a DSLR for that reason.
...Show more

Everything and anything is shot with the 35L I love the look of the images, and the depth you get when on a full frame. The 5N is on my list as well, but its a bit bigger than pocket size- and that seems to be where the rx100 comes into play. Does Sony have a small pancake prime, other than the 16mm?

And I agree with the statement meant that the better camera is the one I'd use, and thats EXACTLY how I feel right now

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:52 AM
vuilang
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Bye bye dslr...

to me. the compact bodies such as Canon G1x is still way to big for everyday/friend hangout camera.

anything bigger than the S100 is no go.

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:56 AM
russellnadler
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Bye bye dslr...

I may just get the s100/rx100 until the rx1 drops

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:41 AM
ulmer

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Bye bye dslr...

The Sony RX100 is really nice and a big step up from the S100. I love mine.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mauro Moretti
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Bye bye dslr...

I have the exact same setup as you: 5Dc and 35L (+ 135L and 17-40L). I am very tempted by the Canon EF-M 22mm f2. I hope the STM curves are a clear indication of the quality of the lens.

Only problem, the canon EOS M camera could have a slow autofocus and and a soon to be replaced sensor. Nevertheless, it is small and the quality of the images I am sure will be great, and if it is updated next year, the economic loss will be not so much compared with the tons of images I will make if I have it with me all day long.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Bye bye dslr...

My wife switched to Olympus PEN system. Right now, she's using E-M5. Images coming out of the camera are great.

But there is no way you can achieve the same image quality of 35L on a Canon full frame DSLR. I love my 35L.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:22 AM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Bye bye dslr...

+1 on the OM-D

Best camera in that size package by far.... specially for the money. Glass is not bad either.. The Pana 7-14 (FF 14-28 equiv) is tack-sharp. The new 12-50 is no slouch either.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:25 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Bye bye dslr...

If you are going to sit on the sidelines for a bit, then get the RX100 by all means, exellent little camera, beats the pants off the S95 that I own and is darn close to the NEX5N that I also own, its pics really appear DSLR like in some cases. Also own a 5Dc that is collecting dust as my 5N and RX100 see lots of my day to day photo duty.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Bye bye dslr...

pKai wrote:
+1 on the OM-D

Best camera in that size package by far.... specially for the money. Glass is not bad either.. The Pana 7-14 (FF 14-28 equiv) is tack-sharp. The new 12-50 is no slouch either.

The 12-50mm is a really good all-around lens. It can get a really really closeup macro. But my wife's main lens is a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. Really really good one.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:34 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Bye bye dslr...

if you love 35mm and don't need fast AF, X100 is great. otherwise I'd try that new x-e1 or whatever it's called. really enjoy my Fuji... especially the IQ

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Bye bye dslr...

vsg28 wrote:
With a body that small, I would not be worried too much by the absence of a viewfinder. Handling a heavy DSLR with lenses, I won't be surprised if the LCD screen will suffice for most DSLR owners.

Wrong, most DSLR owners want a viewfinder, not an LCD screen.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Bye bye dslr...

goosemang wrote:
if you love 35mm and don't need fast AF, X100 is great. otherwise I'd try that new x-e1 or whatever it's called. really enjoy my Fuji... especially the IQ

I heard the focus is kinda miss or hit. Isn't that the case?

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:57 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Bye bye dslr...

Wahoowa wrote:
I heard the focus is kinda miss or hit. Isn't that the case?

the x100 is useless for servo, but regular one shot AF is waaay better now than like 9 months ago. firmware really helped - a lot. it's even pretty good in low light now. but if you use servo forget it.

new x-e1 model is supposedly way better, but I have no experience with it

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:04 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Bye bye dslr...

basically the x100 is ok if you take 1 second to let it lock on

but one second is a long time to some people - myself included. that's why I still have my dslr stuff. sometimes I need to work fast and waiting a second drives me nuts.

but IQ and tactile feedback on the camera is so enjoyable I can't bring myself to part with it. plus I love 35mm focal length

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password