New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

When shooting panos with 'shift left-unshifted-shift right', how does one handle exposure. I played around with this yesterday. I tried to meter unshifted, put it on manual and take the three exposures. The shifted ones were underexposed. In one instance I had to expose +2 stops on shift to get a more even exposure.

Is this essentially dependent on the shot or is there some formula to this.

thanks

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

Exposure is metered from the unshifted position, as you did. You may have to work in PP to even out the extreme sides, but you don't meter on a shifted image or it will come out wrong. It's just the nature of optics that the center will be lighter than the edges. You might find you need to balance the exposure so the center is a touch overexposed, and the extremities slightly underexposed, then fix in PP.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

The Canon shift lenses use a highly vignetted image circle, esp. 17 mm. Others, not so much (Hartblei 80 mm).

You don't say what lens you used or even which manufacturer, let alone focal length. There are multiple versions of some of them and many that can be used by adapters, like Mamiya 645 lenses.

You found the answer: chimp the exposure and make a chart. It is a function of the lens and the lens shift; not the scene.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:27 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

I tried with two separate lenses - the 24mm TSE II and the Contax 35mm PC. Will try the sugestions and see how that works out. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:10 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

That's strange... I know the shifted part will be slightly underexposed but never up to 2 stops. Though it might be because I use a crop sensor with my 17mm. And as far as I can tell, the image stitcher evens out the exposure for you automatically.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

My 24TS-E II horizontal images are slightly darker on the far edges, but not two stops, maybe one stop of lightening up with the LR "shade". I have no information on the Contax at all. It would be nice to see samples of what you are experiencing and how the two lenses compare in light fall-off.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

I took quite a few three-panel horizontal shift panos this summer in Utah with my TS-E 24/3.5L II. I used histogram metering off the zero-shift position, and then took +1/0/-1 EV exposures at each of three shift positions (typically +8/0/-8mm), to produce nine-image HDR panos. The exposure difference between sunlit and sky areas with respect to indirectly lit cliff faces is huge, not to mention shadow areas. I haven't had a chance to process them yet...

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:46 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

Are you in manual mode or Av?

I'm shooting in manual using live view (and ML) to set exposure

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

JameelH wrote:
When shooting panos with 'shift left-unshifted-shift right', how does one handle exposure. I played around with this yesterday. I tried to meter unshifted, put it on manual and take the three exposures. The shifted ones were underexposed. In one instance I had to expose +2 stops on shift to get a more even exposure.

Is this essentially dependent on the shot or is there some formula to this.

thanks

Hmm, never seen that happen if I meter from the unshifted untilted shot and lock it down in M mode. Heck the other day I was lazy and was in Av mode and the exposures were all the same on my 45 TS-E.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:58 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

Always used manual mode, metered on the unshifted, as the tilt/shift cause the meter to act funky. +/- 2 stops is very possible, especially with shift.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:06 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

Metered in Av and locked down in M mode. I should also.point out that the shot was an indoor pano.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Expsoure shooting panos with TSE lenses

My speculation is that you metered on point, for each set of 3, as opposed to average and the point that you randomly selected resulted in large difference in exposure.

Even if you were on average, the light variation across the scene will cause difficulties because on a really wide angle your extreme left will be way differently lit than extreme right.

My strategy with ts17 is to meter with histogram in manual for middle normal exposure picture. Then leave the exposure constant across the 9 exposures. It works pretty well. But as I mentioned, using autometering (or resetting each set ) for each set has resulted in wide variations.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.