Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help on Canon 70-200mm focus after repair

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help on Canon 70-200mm focus after repair

I received back from Canon my 70-200mm f/4 IS lens from being repaired. At 70mm and when I focus on subject, then rotate zoom to 200mm, the subject is very blurry. I have to turn the focus knob to bring it back into focus. Say the subject is ~2.8m showing on the dial at 70mm, at 200mm I need to turn it to about 3.2m to be in focus. The wife’s lens does not do this. Hers has a slight blur and need a very minor bump of the knob.

Could you check yours? This does not seem normal and this might be a problem that Canon will be able to adjust? Thanks…

Below is what service was preformed.

“Your product has been examined and it was found that the ae assembly did not operate properly causing error 01 to be displayed. The ae assembly was replaced. Further, it was found that the adjustment of the af assembly was incorrect causing the auto focus to operate improperly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product functions were confirmed.

Part replaced: Power diaphragm unit.”

Lens micro adjustsments, -2 @70mm to +2 @200mm with 1Dmk4. +2 @70mm to -7 @200mm with 5Dmk2. Using Focal

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:25 PM
jwp721
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Help on Canon 70-200mm focus after repair

I never thought that Canon lenses were supposed to be parafocal?

However, I remember reading somewhere that with some lenses you can focus at the long end and then zoom out to the wide end... but not the other way around

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help on Canon 70-200mm focus after repair

That’s the phrase I was looking for “parafocal” Yea even thought the wife’s lens does not seem 100% when zoomed in. Mine is so far off you can not even see what you are looking at through the viewfinder it is so blurry.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #4 · Help on Canon 70-200mm focus after repair

Ok I contacted Canon and after my trip here I will be sending it back in for further adjustment. I will be bringing a 28-300mm as a backup.

On a side note… I sent in our 300mm 2.8 IS II lens hood for replacement under warranty…I was on the phone for 30 minutes while they were tiring to find it, Right now it is lost, but they know they have it… somewhere. Sure glad we are not bringing that lens on this trip.

Sep 28, 2012 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password