Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

So I'm in a bit of an odd situation. I tried an ad for my business FB page (promoting an image post I made), and it was a bit too successful.

A few people from various other countries (namely India, Pakistan, and Mexico) liked the image and shared it. Because it was in a promotion, that made it all the more likely for their friends to see it in those countries.

Lo and behold, I then get around 200 new likes in a matter of days, all from those countries...and proceed to get comments on my photos in other languages, with terrible translations, etc.

The image itself that I posted now has over 500 likes and counting (my page only has ~650 likes itself), and I'm at a loss.

How bad does that look? Especially when a legitimate potential client might see that, think it's fishy, and click the list of people that liked it. I'm seriously considering just deleting the image and reposting it.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

The post in question, so you can see:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407415692646701&set=a.214387041949568.70253.150699748318298&type=1&theaterČif_t=photo_comment

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:31 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

I don't really see it as a big deal, but you can just control the privacy settings of your photos only to be viewable by certain people. Check Facebook Help section.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM
gridironphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

Just tell them that you are an international FB celebrity. I don't see where a new client would be anything but impressed that you are getting attention from around the world.

Sep 30, 2012 at 08:15 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

gridironphoto wrote:
Just tell them that you are an international FB celebrity. I don't see where a new client would be anything but impressed that you are getting attention from around the world.

+1

how can you be worried about people liking and talking about your photo? you can't control what people do or say, or what language they do it in.

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

I thought you could do targeted ads on Facebook. Next time make sure you narrow your target audience to something that is realistic. You don't want to pay for all these clicks by people that have no reasonable chance of using your services.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:47 PM
frankpetronio
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

Why not delete the image and repost it later?

Something fishy is going on since it isn't that unique an image. And tighten up the ad demographics!

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:20 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

What's Really Happening on Facebook (and What to Do About It)

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:01 PM
obscure

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Facebook Page - overrun by foreigners (not clientele)?

I think this techcrunch article is a more relevant article for the OPs case. Basically there are fake profiles that simply like any and all pages/ads. What the purpose is I don't know but that appears to be what is happening.

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password