Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

ryanpatella

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

Hi,

I am wondering if I have a good software/website idea and I would REALLY appreciate some feedback. I am thinking about creating a monthly subscription website where professional photographers can upload their clients wedding photo's to view and then have wedding album templates where the customers can actually create their wedding albums for the photographer to print.

This website would be incredibly easy to use and will have minimum features of pre-made templates, drag and drop functionality, and zooming/cropping. There would be no limit to the amount of pictures that can be stored, the clients would have direct access to the images that you upload, and access to create their wedding album. You would also have the option to create an album for them and they can review online.

My questions:

1. Is this something that you as a professional wedding photographer would pay for?

2. How much a month would you be willing to pay for this type of service (if any)?

3. Is this already being done? If so - are there improvements in the software you would like to see?

4. Any follow up questions or anything unclear?

Thank you so much for any feedback you could provide. You can also pm me if you wish to talk further. I would even be more than happy to get on the phone and have a discussion if that would please anyone.

Regards,

Ryan Patella

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:31 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

So as I understand you want me let the client design an album. Problem is most of my clients have no concept of design. My work would end up looking like a first grader did it if I went with what they think looks good. Most don't know what looks good until they see it.

Second people never make decisions. It could be a year or more if I wait for them to pick select images. Learned that the hard way.

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:41 PM
ryanpatella

p.1 #3 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

So it sounds like making decisions for the customer is part of your overall process.

What if the software was for your use then. You would upload your photos, drag and drop the pictures into templates, and move/scale according to the template. You could upload their wedding photos for them to view but do not offer them choices.

These are the tempaltes I am considering modeling after:
http://www.weddingalbumdepot.com/mats/renaissance/libraryblack/large/index.html

This way your client can view the wedding album online and without printouts. This could save you time and money and then you could swap out images quickly and easily without the need to make new prints or rearrange the album.

Again - I have no idea if this would even be useful for you but I wanted to start the discussion. Thank you so much for getting back to me!

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:57 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

I think it is an interesting idea, but personally...we would have no use for it since we pre-design all of our couples' albums. I could see it being useful for wedding farm businesses where they are churning through customers (and where the customers make all of the decisions)

I do think it would be useful for couples who want to swap photos in a pre-designed album.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:11 PM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #5 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

It sounds like you're describing the Cascade software by BRI.

http://blog.blackriverimaging.com/fall-in-love-with-cascade/

It's free to use when you order from BRI.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

My design is part of why clients use me. I already have PS, Illustrator etc to layout albums and if i did not the album companies have built in templates someone with a lesss creative mind could use and end up with a nice album. I never use templates because I find they limit what I can do a lot of the time. Not a product I would use but with the thousands of 'photographers' around many of them might want a easy way out of album design and like the option. Just like some use ready made re-touching programs or full Auto mode because that is where their skill level is at.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:50 PM
jneilosu
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

It's a great idea. That's why I use Kiss's SWAT. (As in, it already exists.)

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:51 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

A lot of cheap options are already out there (for clients). Anyone can make an album layout. The issue isn't doing it, it's creating something pleasing and not dated. Even today's so called photographers try to do what years of training has taught "real" designers do.

My opinion on what you describe is that it's not really a good idea because it already exist.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:55 PM
katiedis
• • •
p.1 #9 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

KISS books already has that feature for free...and it rocks. Uploads layouts to facebook, clients can easily provide input. Lots of options for templates. PLUS, if you are so inclined, for $49 you can even have them design the book in an incredibly quick turn-around time, plus includes client changes. CRAZY good service is already out there on the album design front.

While I appreciate your effort/incentive to improve options for photographers, I highly recommend you take a look at what KISS is doing before you embark on your efforts too far. They really have set the bar pretty high in the market niche you are currently looking at.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Software/ Website Service Idea - Feedback

You'd have better luck trying to penetrate a market that's not already so thoroughly saturated.

There are already many fully formed products that accomplish pretty much what you're describing.

What I would pay for this would definitely not be worth your time.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password