Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

markd61 wrote:
Wow, reminds me of high school.

What's your SAT score?

At my high school it was "is Sharon knocked up yet"

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

dehowie wrote:
The point and confusion is this.
Several,Canon posters of which you are one are raving about the superiority of Nikon.
Well that's ok but it's incorrect. It takes more than a Sensor to take a great image. You need glass,AF build etc.
So it's not as simple as wow the D800 is the best camera ever. It lacks AF accuracy to get the best from its excellent sensor at all times.
Sure the Mk3 doesn't have the same DR as the D800 at low ISO does that make it any less of a good camera because it has everything else the D800 lacks and
...Show more

For me, AF and fps are useless. I focus using LiveView and I shoot at 1 frame at a time. Improvement in resolution and dynamic range ( Image quality overall ) is what I am after. I am hoping Canon is also after this.

As far as glass goes, I use a lot of Zeiss glass, so I am not necessarily tied down to a given system.

Me, and I venture to say quite a few others are awaiting to see how Canon reacts to the high resolution great dynamic range of sensors Nikon has introduced. I do have Canon glass and am used to Canon so I am willing to wait a few years to see where things shake out. If I don't see any progress from Canon towards a better landscape system, I'll be seriously looking at other choices.

I don't understand what upsets you when we discuss the differences between the Nikon sensors and Canon sensors. We are not stupid...we know there is more to a camera than the sensor, but for landscape photography, sensors are a very important ( I venture to say the most important along with glass ) part of a camera. Everyone brings up the AF and fps...but for landscapes, those are meaningless.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #3 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

mmurph wrote:
The quote at Canonrumors is saying a totally new 46 MP sensor that has beteer DR than the D800:

"Iím told that the coming big megapixel camera is a very new sensor design/overhaul. The emphasis is in the dynamic range of the sensor. Performance is said to be on the level of medium format, even better than the impressive D800."

Obviously we will see.

Canon talked about new low noise technology on their Cinema Camera sensor, in the White Paper, with not much details.

I understand that the Exmor has on chip processing that reduces the noise floor. Obviously patented, but perhaps Canon has
...Show more

Murph,

I think that's what we're all wishing for - that Canon has some new sensor tech up their sleeve. I would love to own an actual 3D some day:

-Pro AF with red focus points
-24MP (FF or 1.3x) Exmor sensor performance
-9fps

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artsupreme wrote:
I think that's what we're all wishing for - that Canon has some new sensor tech up their sleeve. I would love to own an actual 3D some day:

-Pro AF with red focus points
-24MP (FF or 1.3x) Exmor sensor performance
-9fps

Absolutely, I would even be willing to pre-order the damn thing which I never do. Can't wait for Canon bodies to have visible AF points again.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #5 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

dehowie wrote:
The point and confusion is this.
Several,Canon posters of which you are one are raving about the superiority of Nikon.
Well that's ok but it's incorrect. It takes more than a Sensor to take a great image. You need glass,AF build etc.
So it's not as simple as wow the D800 is the best camera ever. It lacks AF accuracy to get the best from its excellent sensor at all times.
Sure the Mk3 doesn't have the same DR as the D800 at low ISO does that make it any less of a good camera because it has everything else the D800 lacks and
...Show more

We've had amazing AF systems and good glass for years, AF and glass are not the limiting factors today. So I'd have to disagree about D800 being limited by an AF system. A photographer can work with the D800 AF or even the old crippled 5DII/20D AF to capture what the 5DIII does, but they can't create anything beyond the limits of the sensor.

Let's hope Canon has this new technology that Murph referred to.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #6 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

I happen to think the D800's AF system is a significant improvement over what I have grown to expect with Canon, although I haven't tried a 5d3...but my D800 is especially MUCH better at tracking moving subjects. In a fair situation where my 5d2s would miss servo-tracked walking subjects 40% of the time, my D800 misses 1-5% of the time (possibly my fault/user error).

Outer points work too...in reasonably low light they still track quite well. The 6D might have been the last camera I might consider buying from Canon, but they crippled the AF system...and the 5d3 was and is still too expensive for what it does. Still, the biggest reason why I didn't go 5d3 was not just price, but the dynamic range issues related to shadow noise and pattern noise. That is ultimately what drove me to try a Nikon camera.

Problem with Nikon is, their customer service has a bad reputation, repairs are generally more expensive (so I've read)...and customer service does count for something. I've received very good service from Canon, especially after becoming a CPS member last year.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.3 #7 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

chez wrote:
For me, AF and fps are useless. I focus using LiveView and I shoot at 1 frame at a time. Improvement in resolution and dynamic range ( Image quality overall ) is what I am after. I am hoping Canon is also after this.

As far as glass goes, I use a lot of Zeiss glass, so I am not necessarily tied down to a given system.

Me, and I venture to say quite a few others are awaiting to see how Canon reacts to the high resolution great dynamic range of sensors Nikon has introduced. I do have Canon glass and
...Show more

Im not sure why you would think I'm upset I'm simply discussing the relative merits of the Canon system.
If AF nor FPS are useless to you I'm struggling to understand why you are shooting an SLR?
Why not go for real quality grab a medium format camera for real ultimate IQ?
Can understand where you are coming from but I don't think you realize that the vast majority do use AF and do want FPS. Yet you belittle a quality camera which delivers those to the majority of the market.
I'm sorry but a 50MP single frame SLR with no AF may be what you want but unfortunately a lot of other people don't..

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

dehowie wrote:
Im not sure why you would think I'm upset I'm simply discussing the relative merits of the Canon system.
If AF nor FPS are useless to you I'm struggling to understand why you are shooting an SLR?
Why not go for real quality grab a medium format camera for real ultimate IQ?
Can understand where you are coming from but I don't think you realize that the vast majority do use AF and do want FPS. Yet you belittle a quality camera which delivers those to the majority of the market.
I'm sorry but a 50MP single frame SLR with no AF may be
...Show more

I'd love to shoot medium format digital...only 1 thing stops me, money.

Where have I belittled the 5d3 or any other camera for thst matter? I just am comparing relative sensors and their mpix along with their dynamic range...all which are very relevant to my type of shooting. If these aspects ( sensors ) don't affect or interest your type of photography...why even bother entering a thread that talks about them? What are you looking to gain by contributing to this thread. We all know that AF and fps matter to sone photogs...so why not start a thread on those aspects? Why do you need to come into this thread and tell us that the sensor is not important to you...or to many other photogs. We already know this so you have added zero real contribution here.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #9 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Monito wrote:
Think twice or three times. The Nikon mirror box is thicker than Canon's so you can adapt Nikon lenses to Canon EF but not the other way. Furthermore, the Canon body mount mouth is wider than Nikon's.

You could design and grind the glass for an optical adapter like the Canon FD to EOS 1.1x converter, but if you haven't thought this through, as the quoted statements show, it is unlikely you'll be successful in that endeavour.

Dis you even read my post?! You don't tell me anything new, as I stated in my post it might be a possibility in future mirrorless cameras since the body sizes will change. The mirrorless Canon camera already has as accessory an adapter to mount the EF lenses due to the smaller camera body.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM
snooked123
• • •
p.3 #10 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

It amazes me how people just want to trash Nikon on Canon forums. The autofocus on D800 while not as responsive as 5dIII certainly doesn't suck. It's the same as D4 which is Nikon's sports camera. Yes Nikon has QC issues but that doesn't mean all D800s are affected. Also, dynamic range is as important as shooting at ISO6400 especially if you shoot a variety of subjects.

It seems that we like to listen to what we want to hear rather than the seeing whole picture. The lenses on Nikon side certainly don't cover as wide a range as Canon lenses do but that doesn't mean Nikon guys use pinholes to take pictures.

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #11 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

snooked123 wrote:
It amazes me how people just want to trash Nikon on Canon forums. The autofocus on D800 while not as responsive as 5dIII certainly doesn't suck. It's the same as D4 which is Nikon's sports camera. Yes Nikon has QC issues but that doesn't mean all D800s are affected. Also, dynamic range is as important as shooting at ISO6400 especially if you shoot a variety of subjects.

It seems that we like to listen to what we want to hear rather than the seeing whole picture. The lenses on Nikon side certainly don't cover as wide a range as Canon lenses
...Show more

In the Canon forum they talk about the D800 AF as if it's worse than the crippled 5D2 AF...

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:14 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.3 #12 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artsupreme wrote:
In the Canon forum they talk about the D800 AF as if it's worse than the crippled 5D2 AF...

Well the Nikon forums talk about the AF on the D800 and D4 being off from side to side. See the poll below, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1134323

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:23 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #13 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

jerrykur wrote:
Well the Nikon forums talk about the AF on the D800 and D4 being off from side to side. See the poll below, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1134323

Hey, at least they have one side that works it's better than just a center point

Sep 27, 2012 at 01:26 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #14 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

yes, amazing ...

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d800-asymmetric-focus-issue

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-explains-d800-screen-green-cast-issues-1081681

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/nikon-confirms-woes-with-d4-and-d800/

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120602_3-NikonD800E-autofocus.html

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:11 AM
snooked123
• • •
p.3 #15 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

You honestly believe that all D800 shooters out there have defective AF? All the people who sing praises of their D800s are blind in the left eye ? Of course D800 has issues and may be as many as 30-40% of D800s are defective but yes 60-70% of D800s have no issues. If you feel 30-40% equals 100%, it's your choice.

So all the D800s have the green cast? All the D800s have the left AF issues?

I am not trying to defend Nikon but I don't like it when Canon forums present a totally skewed picture to satisfy their insecurities regarding their camera of choice. We all chose Canon because Canon was the best and we all wanted the best but now it's one of the best, why is that so difficult to swallow?

abqnmusa wrote:
yes, amazing ...

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d800-asymmetric-focus-issue

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-explains-d800-screen-green-cast-issues-1081681

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/nikon-confirms-woes-with-d4-and-d800/

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20120602_3-NikonD800E-autofocus.html

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:05 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.3 #16 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

snooked123 wrote:
You honestly believe that all D800 shooters out there have defective AF? All the people who sing praises of their D800s are blind in the left eye ? Of course D800 has issues and may be as many as 30-40% of D800s are defective but yes 60-70% of D800s have no issues. If you feel 30-40% equals 100%, it's your choice.

I am not trying to defend Nikon but I don't like it when Canon forums present a totally skewed picture to satisfy their insecurities regarding
...Show more

Snooked, obviously all D800's are completely worthless, incapable of capturing good images, even the non affected ones. Canon has never had any QC issues either! No focus issues, no mirror box issues, no light leak issues, no tele IS issues, nothing!

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:19 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.3 #17 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Finally a 5dII user who is now a D800 proud owner. The sensors are theoretically superior and give more room in PP, but in practical situations, where has the additional dynamic range come is most helpful in your shooting? Higher resolution is a given significant advantage, I am just curious in which practical situations the extra dynamic range is coming in handy. (e.g. in landscape shots I have started to rely on in camera HDR on 5DIII and I am wondering how that would compare against extra headroom in DR).

Your perspective would be appreciated.

form wrote:
I happen to think the D800's AF system is a significant improvement over what I have grown to expect with Canon, although I haven't tried a 5d3...but my D800 is especially MUCH better at tracking moving subjects. In a fair situation where my 5d2s would miss servo-tracked walking subjects 40% of the time, my D800 misses 1-5% of the time (possibly my fault/user error).

Outer points work too...in reasonably low light they still track quite well. The 6D might have been the last camera I might consider buying from Canon, but they crippled the AF system...and the 5d3 was and is
...Show more

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:50 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.3 #18 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Finally a 5dII user who is now a D800 proud owner. The sensors are theoretically superior and give more room in PP, but in practical situations, where has the additional dynamic range come is most helpful in your shooting? Higher resolution is a given significant advantage, I am just curious in which practical situations the extra dynamic range is coming in handy. (e.g. in landscape shots I have started to rely on in camera HDR on 5DIII and I am wondering how that would compare against extra headroom in DR).

Your perspective would be appreciated.

form wrote:

Outer points work too...in reasonably low light they still track quite well. The 6D might have been the last camera I might consider buying from Canon, but they crippled the AF system...and the 5d3 was and is
...Show more

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:50 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

More DR better?: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1151066/0

Sep 27, 2012 at 05:00 AM
MayaTlab

p.3 #20 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

snooked123 wrote:

I am not trying to defend Nikon but I don't like it when Canon forums present a totally skewed picture to satisfy their insecurities regarding
...Show more

Personally, QC inconsistency worry me jus as much as absolute quality. It means somebody doesn't know what's going on (so they can't correct for those inconsistencies), while if a camera is constantly rubbish, at least you can be pretty sure it was a design decision.

When I buy a camera, I want to know quite precisely what I'm going to get. If I were to buy a 5DII, I would know from the start that it's basically a 1 AF point camera. If I were to buy a D800, I would expect to receive a fully operational body, since Nikon has been able to produce some, but I may just as well get one with the left AF issue. QC consistency helps me make an informed decision.

NB : I am not trying to say here that the 1 AF system of the 5DII is better than the D800, please don't misunderstand this point.

Let's hope that Nikon rep in Germany was correct.

Sep 27, 2012 at 08:15 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password