Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

mttran wrote:
beat them both, design your own ef-nikon converter

Unfortunately it's not physically possible. Otherwise this would have been done a long time ago!

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:42 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artd wrote:
Unfortunately it's not physically possible. Otherwise this would have been done a long time ago!

Some kind of optical adjustment converter, i think it can be built but expensive. who comes up with this can be millionaire in a day

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:56 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artsupreme wrote:
Agreed...but I believe they felt they couldn't deliver more MP without serious IQ degradation for a pro body

In other words they don't currently have the technology to truly combine the two 1D bodies and satisfy both sides of the equation, therefore why the rush to unify the 1D? The 1DX is a totally compromised body that isn't an upgrade for either camp.

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:37 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

gabimaster wrote:
I know about Nikon's fiasco with their AF sistems on D7000,D800 & D4,but I cannot stop asking myself why Canon in all these years it couldn't keep up with latest technology and in fact in the last 7 years ,the DR from their sensors is almost the same and they couldn't get rid of the banding in shadows areas.I've never considered a switch since I can't give up my 24-105L, my 70-200 2.8 (non IS), my 135L and 85 1.8 and thei are not the only reason, Canon simply fits well in my hands. But this doesn't mean that you
...Show more

+1. Yep. Glass counts, same reason for me to sit it out with Canon.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:18 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

mttran wrote:

I was thinking about this, too. Would be nice to have an adapter to mount EF lenses on Nikon cameras and having full AF functionality. We might have a chance that it works when mirrorless cameras come closer?

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:20 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Mods: can we merge this with the other thread from last week on DXO and D600 in the Canon forum - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150333/0?keyword=dxo,d600#10976528

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

mttran wrote:

retrofocus wrote:
I was thinking about this, too. Would be nice to have an adapter to mount EF lenses on Nikon cameras and having full AF functionality. We might have a chance that it works when mirrorless cameras come closer?

Think twice or three times. The Nikon mirror box is thicker than Canon's so you can adapt Nikon lenses to Canon EF but not the other way. Furthermore, the Canon body mount mouth is wider than Nikon's.

You could design and grind the glass for an optical adapter like the Canon FD to EOS 1.1x converter, but if you haven't thought this through, as the quoted statements show, it is unlikely you'll be successful in that endeavour.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:33 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

I have no problem taking excellent 5D III images (shoot RAW & convert)
the photographer makes the picture not the hardware

the DXO ranking is useless data.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:41 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

abqnmusa wrote:
I have no problem getting excellnet images from the 5D III
the photographer makes the picture not the hardware

so the DXO ranking is useless data.

Useless only to the ones that turn a blind eye towards it.

People made excellent images with their 20D's...why do you need a 5DIII?

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:43 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

ggreene wrote:
In other words they don't currently have the technology to truly combine the two 1D bodies and satisfy both sides of the equation, therefore why the rush to unify the 1D? The 1DX is a totally compromised body that isn't an upgrade for either camp.

After shooting the 1DX I agree. A lot of MkIV users want the 1.3x with more MP, and the Ds users want the high MP. Canon knew they were in trouble so they were forced to start providing pro features in their recent bodies to remain competitive...I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of the same over the next few years - 20MP range sensors with just added bells/whistles until they get the sensor dept figured out....

Does it make you wonder why they didn't throw a 36MP in the 6D?? It would have made total sense with it's crippled AF, similar to the 5D2. Possibly because their sensor will look like shit next to the Exmor? Even then, it would have made sense because of the lower price point of the D800. Entry level buyers could use mRAW around 18MP if they don't want 36, and landscapers would have a Canon option.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

chez wrote:
Useless only to the ones that turn a blind eye towards it.

People made excellent images with their 20D's...why do you need a 5DIII?

Yep, that argument goes for all gear...10D made excellent images too. Might as well make this argument back to Ansel Adams camera gear.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:50 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artsupreme wrote:
After shooting the 1DX I agree. A lot of MkIV users want the 1.3x with more MP, and the Ds users want the high MP. Canon knew they were in trouble so they were forced to start providing pro features in their recent bodies to remain competitive...I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of the same over the next few years - 20MP range sensors with just added bells/whistles until they get the sensor dept figured out....

Does it make you wonder why they didn't throw a 36MP in the 6D?? It would have made total sense
...Show more

I kind of wish they had used the 1D4 sensor cut to FF size as the stop gap combined body until their own technology could catch up. It would give 1D4 users the same pixel density but at FF and give the 1Ds3 users a 27MP sensor. The only issue would have been the processing power needed to get to 10FPS.

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

gabimaster wrote:
Woooaawww!!! 5DMK3 simply can't touch the D600 iq performance (D600 it has the same sensor like Sony A99).And all at almost half the price !!!

Anyone who like these marks from DXO I would suggest to use their software ONLY forever. And yeeee wow after .

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:18 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

I was making the point that camera geekz get too hung up on having the latest hardware
chasing the latest model is a never ending money pit.
you will only be current with "the precious" new model for a short time

better cameras do help, but in the end the photographer determines the results
I have excellent 10D, 20D, 5D shots. but they did not focus as the 5D III can

I bought the 5D III to get the pro level focusing -- worth the cost to me

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:48 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

abqnmusa wrote:
I was making the point that camera geekz get too hung up on having the latest hardware
chasing the latest model is a never ending money pit.
you will only be current with "the precious" new model for a short time

better cameras do help, but in the end the photographer determines the results
I have excellent 10D, 20D, 5D shots. but they did not focus as the 5D III can

I bought the 5D III to get the pro level focusing -- worth the cost to me

Yes...just like I would buy the 48mpx high dynamic range model to get the pro level images. Seems like you upgraded for the focus whereas others would upgrade for the image quality. Why do you justify your upgrade, yet seem to think people upgrading for more pixels and dynamic range are just chasing technology?

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:53 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

if you can afford it then buy it.

I still could not care less what DXO puts out in their website.

Sep 26, 2012 at 09:57 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

Monito wrote:
Think twice or three times. The Nikon mirror box is thicker than Canon's so you can adapt Nikon lenses to Canon EF but not the other way. Furthermore, the Canon body mount mouth is wider than Nikon's.

You could design and grind the glass for an optical adapter like the Canon FD to EOS 1.1x converter, but if you haven't thought this through, as the quoted statements show, it is unlikely you'll be successful in that endeavour.

You might not get 100% MTF but nothing is impossible here...An adjustment in optical, electrical and mechanical ef-nikon converter might worth it ... under $500 converter with Nikon AF-EF support, i will get one.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

artsupreme wrote:
20MP range sensors with just added bells/whistles until they get the sensor dept figured out....

The quote at Canonrumors is saying a totally new 46 MP sensor that has beteer DR than the D800:

"Iím told that the coming big megapixel camera is a very new sensor design/overhaul. The emphasis is in the dynamic range of the sensor. Performance is said to be on the level of medium format, even better than the impressive D800."

Obviously we will see.

Canon talked about new low noise technology on their Cinema Camera sensor, in the White Paper, with not much details.

I understand that the Exmor has on chip processing that reduces the noise floor. Obviously patented, but perhaps Canon has their own workaround now? That seems pretty typical for these types of advances. Remember when CMOS was a big surprise from Kodak? (I think.)

We will see. Not worth arguing about until it arrives though. Worth watching for confirming tech explanations though.

Best,
Michael

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

chez wrote:
Yes...just like I would buy the 48mpx high dynamic range model to get the pro level images. Seems like you upgraded for the focus whereas others would upgrade for the image quality. Why do you justify your upgrade, yet seem to think people upgrading for more pixels and dynamic range are just chasing technology?

hmm, i have used pro AF since 2005 ....all my cams get sharp shots after shots but no improvement in IQ though out the yrs...put EXMOR (I/II) in 5D3, 1Dx or 6D, i get it in the next day

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D600 vs 5D MK3 on DXOMark !!!

chez wrote:

The point and confusion is this.
Several,Canon posters of which you are one are raving about the superiority of Nikon.
Well that's ok but it's incorrect. It takes more than a Sensor to take a great image. You need glass,AF build etc.
So it's not as simple as wow the D800 is the best camera ever. It lacks AF accuracy to get the best from its excellent sensor at all times.
Sure the Mk3 doesn't have the same DR as the D800 at low ISO does that make it any less of a good camera because it has everything else the D800 lacks and plenty the 20D never dreamed of aving.
Even you posted above stating the 20D takes great images.
If the 46MP body comes down the road you will get your Rez but I doubt you will get 14 stops of DR so on a serious note if shooting one frame HDR is your thing I would seriously swap sides as I don't see a revolution in DR in my 1Dx.
That's not trying to be smart either just pointing out what I've seen with the X.
If all that you care about in a body is DR then yes Nikon/Sony are in front..however is it worth ignoring blindly AF,Glass quality,Build because to me that IS chasing technology..

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password