Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2012 · First impressions with the D600

bmwrider75
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · First impressions with the D600

I hear you. I'm lucky enough to have a Nikon service tech running an independent shop near my house, so I can drop by and have it done in 10 minutes or less. To have it sent away for 3 weeks would be a pain, for sure. But I'm hoping that after the initial clean, the problem will be solved (for both of us!).

From what I understand, cleaning the sensor is pretty straightforward and it might be something we all need to learn to do regularly anyway?

Good luck - hope you get your camera cleaned up/working right soon - it's a great tool as you know.

dc

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:36 AM
andreasb

Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · First impressions with the D600

No pictures of the Sacher torte?
Very good examples of images and what the D600 can do, Most impressive, the question though does it have better ISO and DR then the D800?

Nov 10, 2012 at 06:03 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.8 #3 · First impressions with the D600

andreasb wrote:
No pictures of the Sacher torte?
Very good examples of images and what the D600 can do, Most impressive, the question though does it have better ISO and DR then the D800?

For the Sachertorte, you have to wait. Usually there is no time taking a photo before it magically disappears in my stomach :-)

The D600 isn't in my view better than the D800 in higher ISO settings, but the DR at base ISO is at least at D800 level. More or less identical. It might appear better, due to the lower resolution(but nothing to be too picky about)

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm#D800,D600

regards,
Andy

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:38 AM
ultravista
• •
p.8 #4 · First impressions with the D600

Andy - would you mind sharing your D600 camera settings (as a BIN file)?

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tzic

p.8 #5 · First impressions with the D600

AndreasE wrote:
Another example of the capabilities of the D600 regarding dynamic range.

This image was intentionally taken against the sun. To avoid a blownout sun, the rest of the image is by nature too dark.

5 seconds in CNX2 later (EV+1, DL 50/HQ), more details are clearly visible,

In this department, the D600 is on par with the D4 and D800/D800e and way ahead of previous Nikon D-SLR generations. Even more impressive is for me the progress between the 24MP D3X and the 24 MP D600, the later one an "FX entry level" camera.

rgds,
Andy

Hello Andy, I am amazed by the level of detail, sharpness and clarity this airport terminal against the sun photo has. I am referring to the 1920x1280 link you provided. One can easily see even small scratches and dirt on the glass at the far back on the left near the sun. What aperture did you use for this shot and which lens?

I also have another common question for you or anybody else that has tried these lenses. I got my D600 and now I need your opinions on which lens to buy, quality wise. At the moment I only care about picture quality and not aperture. My choice will be one of the following: Nikon 24mm 1,4 - Nikon 35mm 1,4 - nikon 24-70mm 2,8 and nikon 17-35mm 2,8.

I read a few posts back that the 35mm 1,4 is a favorite of yours but would you choose another one?

Regards,

Nick

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:14 AM
AndreasE
• • •
p.8 #6 · First impressions with the D600

ultravista wrote:
Andy - would you mind sharing your D600 camera settings (as a BIN file)?

Sorry, don't have the D600 with me.

But my settings are simple:
To start with: Factory defaults
ADL = OFF
High ISO NR = OFF
Files saved in RAW and small/basic JPEG
Camera mode is mostly set to "A"
Exposure correction = - 2/3 EV

That's it,
Andy

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:51 PM
AndreasE
• • •
p.8 #7 · First impressions with the D600

tzic wrote:
I also have another common question for you or anybody else that has tried these lenses. I got my D600 and now I need your opinions on which lens to buy, quality wise. At the moment I only care about picture quality and not aperture. My choice will be one of the following: Nikon 24mm 1,4 - Nikon 35mm 1,4 - nikon 24-70mm 2,8 and nikon 17-35mm 2,8.

I read a few posts back that the 35mm 1,4 is a favorite of yours but would you choose another one?

Nick,
not sure my recommendation maps to your shooting style.
As a quick summary:
I would consider the 17-35mm/2.8 end of life. It is still a very good lens for those who have it, but for a new akquisition, either the price is very compelling, or your requirements aren't particular demanding (open aperture and corners are this lens's weakness on modern FX bodies)

The 35mm/1.4 is a fantastic all-round prime lens, the 24mm is a bit more specialized and there isn't much to go wrong with the zoom. If you prefer the light gathering ability of the 1.4 lens or the flexibility of the zoom is up to you.

rgds,
Andy

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password