Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

In between my Aurora Borealis Pictures, this weekend, I drove about 100km up the Dempster Highway and checked out the Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon.

Tombstone is a lonely place - 2 or 3 hardy moose hunters in the day. This road drives all the way up to the Beaufort Sea.

Anyway the pictures are not great and I missed the color by about 2 weeks. But I am posting in case anyone else wants to see the potential. I needed more time to do a better job of these pictures. I was going to stay overnight here and wait for northern lights but i had not slept or eaten, or talked to anyone else, in a day and 1/2 by this point, and I crumbled.

It is a great spot if you don't like crowds.

1-4 of 4

1 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    70mm    f/11.0    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x lens    240mm    f/11.0    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    200mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    155mm    f/11.0    1/40s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:36 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #2 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Scott, remarkable country there. I hope to make it up there sometime in the next year or two. I have seen a photo, years ago, similar to your first image, taken during the peak of the autumn colors. I really like your first and second images alot. On the third image, have you considered removing the orange foliage blur in the bottom right hand side (either cropping it out or using content aware fill in PS)? Thanks for sharing these. It's a great reminder to me to get up there!
Keith W.

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:55 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Kwilliam8: Woops on the intruding folliage - I should have caught that. Glad you like them. Another trip at the peak (1st or 2nd week of September - I think) is needed for me too. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Looks like a really interesting place, so I appreciate the view you've given us. Also looks like a place where some serious hiking could be required to get to some really off the beaten track gems. I like the first and third images the best (less the bit of folliage on the 3rd). Somehow the crop along the bottom of the second doesn't work quite as well for me. Thanks for posting--didn't know this place existing before seeing this post.

Dave

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

"It is a great spot if you don't like crowds."

That's me!

I really like the loneliness captured here.
Nice work.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:32 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #6 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

I really like the painterly look to the first two
Niall

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Hey Scott, we were at that same viewpoint almost exactly 4 weeks before (23-Aug-2012). The colors were just starting to change up there at that time.

Art

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Super shots Scott. They really show off the remoteness. This is just my bag
David

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

dalongfellow: I think either last week in August or 1st week July would be best with colors being maximized. Thanks for the specific feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ckcarr: I spent 2 days not talking to anyone until Dawson City. So a great spot for hanging out by yourself. Glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nrferguson: Glad you like them. It is a very interesting place that transitions between leaved trees to evergreen to tundra. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Older Fossil: Great to know - it sounds like the 1st week in September is likely to be the best week then. I will just have to convince my wife to head north for labor day next year. I would be interested to see your pictures. Did you post them. Thanks for the information. Scott

David Leask: It is really remote in September. I stood on the side of the road for hours hoping for good sunset light which did not appear, and no one stopped and 2 cars went by. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:19 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Older Fossil wrote:
Hey Scott, we were at that same viewpoint almost exactly 4 weeks before (23-Aug-2012). The colors were just starting to change up there at that time.

Art

Found them on your blog - thanks - you had better luck with animals than I did. I came across a bull moose and pulled over and got ready to take his picture. Another guy showed up and I thought - cool to share the moose. Then he pulled out his hunting vest and his gun and I left the scene. Stray bullets and blood don't work for me

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:38 AM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #11 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Love these! I am sure that there could have been some different coloring at a different time of year, but I really like what you got from these! They do emphasize the empty expanse, and they look very CLEAR - really show what unpolluted atmosphere in between the camera and the subject can do. I am hard pressed to pick a favorite possibly #2 (the comp just really balances well for me in that one) but #1 and #4 are close behind. Great stuff - I too love big wide empty expanses like this!

ML

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:21 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Another_mikey: The huge size as contrasted by the little spruce trees and the long distances are what makes this spot very interesting. It was fun. Glad you like them. Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #13 · Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon

Scott Stoness wrote:
Found them on your blog - thanks - you had better luck with animals than I did. I came across a bull moose and pulled over and got ready to take his picture. Another guy showed up and I thought - cool to share the moose. Then he pulled out his hunting vest and his gun and I left the scene. Stray bullets and blood don't work for me

Scott,

I'm glad you found them. I was going to point you to that particular blog entry (there is an awful lot stuff that got posted up during this major summer trip). I do have a couple of other images that show Tombstone Mountain in the background.

Too bad about the moose event. We didn't see many moose on this trip. I was really hoping to get some good shots of a mature bull moose. We did make up for it on bear sightings.

Art

Sep 27, 2012 at 04:23 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password