Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

iJeffG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Took these last weekend, and was frustrated as all hell trying to post-process for color. Do these look as bad as I think they do? I don't remember the light being all that bad. I was shooting with a custom WB, set just before the game.

Aside from low light requiring iso 800 on my D300 (lots 'o noise)...something about these just ain't right, and I'm not sure where in the workflow I might have gone wrong.

My Flickr account has thousands of soccer pics I've taken over the last couple years...and these are some of the worst looking ones

Any advice would be appreciated. These are all handheld, Nikon D300s, with 70-300mm lens. (My focusing was dead on in most of these, too...so the blurry pictures at high shutter speed tell me I need a monopod. But, its the coloring that has me concerned about what went wrong.

Thank you in advance.

U13 22Sept2012 (37 of 50) by iJeffG, on Flickr

U13 22Sept2012 (43 of 50) by iJeffG, on Flickr

U13 22Sept2012 (47 of 50) by iJeffG, on Flickr

Or...am I being too critical??

Jeff

p.s. If I may be screwing up in post, I can email a RAW file for a deeper look.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:33 AM
Skwirnmn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

I would have to disagree with your statement about these being in focus.. the color seems fine to me.. exposure is good, composition is good in most, but the focus is really lacking in some. I noticed a TON of noise in your images, which shouldn't be happening even at 800 ISO. I see several images that are oof that you tried to save by over sharpening. use fileswap and post a raw image file. I'd like to see what the originals look like.

edit: I looked through your flickr to find the oof images, the three you posted are perfectly in focus.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:41 AM
iJeffG

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Here is one, I'll add a second shortly

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/ZFkVWIZFzi/

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:47 AM
iJeffG

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Here is the second...
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0SDokxAXq/

I should also clarify my "Focus" statement. Using the AF-On, the lens appeared to be locked in on the subject, the reason they are out of focus, I believe is photographer "vibration". Although, some of the shutter speeds should have eliminated that, too.

Oh, and I post-process using LR3, and in trying to improve these I turned off all sharpening and noise reduction. NR can smooth them out a bit, but they still are just off!

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:51 AM
sklar
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

are they extreme crops?

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:35 AM
iJeffG

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Yes. The girls play on a full-size 11v11 field, and even with the 70-300 on a D300 (~450mm equivalent)...I need to do some heavy cropping to capture the more interesting shots.

That said, if you go through my Flickr stuff, the same can be said for many of those soccer shots.

Are you thinking the noise is crop-related, or eluding to focus issues...that excessive cropping results in pixel-peeping??

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:12 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Heavy cropping and subsequent processing has its own set of issues, none of which are good. If higher ISO was used it just adds to the issue. I also agree that these do not look that sharp and appear to be compensated for with high level of sharpening. In regard to exposure, my first reaction was these look a bit "muddy". Looking at the darker jersey sections, I would say the frames are underexposed a bit, which does not help in conjunction with high ISO settings.

At the end of the day, using AF properly, a well exposed shot that fills the frame with a SS of 1/1000 (even at high ISO) will generally provide a sharper & more pleasing result (including noise reduction) vs one that is heavily cropped.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

iJeffG

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

I verified that sharpening and noise reduction were both set to 0 in LR3 for these shots.

I don't doubt that focus issues could be all user-induced...I'm purchasing a monopod to see if that helps. But the noise level for ISO800 on D300 you guys think is normal?

Do I need to show these to SWMBO and explain I need to upgrade to improve

Not sure upgrading helps, either, as full-frame options will cost me 150mm in reach

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:42 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Looked at the originals... you are shooting way too loose.

Sep 26, 2012 at 03:38 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

If financially capable, shooting soccer with a 70-300 would not be my first choice. In a pinch, for well inside the mid-field line (closer to the 18 yard line) on bright days where little cropping is required, is the best you can get, IMHO. (ie fill the frame) Using a monopod but still cropping heavily will provide some improvement but that may not be enough - YMMV

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:39 PM
iJeffG

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

Thanks for the feedback...I miss my 80-200, thats for sure. Subject isolation wins everytime (for me) over reach.

I'll post some from this weekends games, taken with Monopod, and hopefully better light.

Sep 26, 2012 at 08:10 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

iJeffG wrote:
Any advice would be appreciated. These are all handheld, Nikon D300s, with 70-300mm lens. (My focusing was dead on in most of these, too...so the blurry pictures at high shutter speed tell me I need a monopod. But, its the coloring that has me concerned about what went wrong.

Thank you in advance.
r

Or...am I being too critical??

Jeff

p.s. If I may be screwing up in post, I can email a RAW file for a deeper look.

I'm not sure a monopod would help but the colors do seem a little
off, like reddish skin colors

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

The fact that yo are shooting loose and cropping is not helping the noise issue. I am not familiar with Nikon, but the noise looks excessive for ISO 800. I would check that a camera setting hasn't changed that could cause this. I looked at the RAW images in CS5 and think the results look better with at WB adjustment. Your custom WB may have been set wrong.

Here are my edits, I will remove if you prefer. I changed the WB in PS Camera RAW and applied noise reduction in Camera RAW.

original WB 5300 new WB 4800

original WB 5300 new WB 4650

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:02 PM
jim1154
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · U13 Soccer - What happened?

I believe part of your color issues are due to setting a custom white balance before the game. The color temperature of the sun can change quite a bit throughout the day, especially towards sunrise/sunset. I would try auto WB next time around... the D300 should be able to get fairly accurate color results under these shooting conditions.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password