Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman13 wrote:
...]

Well, the 75 doesn't focus as close, but the magnification is almost identical (so framing will be the same).

I view the 75 and 45 is different lenses, as the FOV is different enough to make a significant difference. You need some working space for the 75, but I absolutely love the results. The 45 is for more intimate portraiture, IMO. The 60 splits the difference quite well, actually, though if I had to choose two, it would be a very hard decision...the 60 and 75 would be my choice purely from a photographic point of view, while the 45
...Show more

Thanks for the input Jordan.

I suspect that I would really like the 75 as I used to use the Canon 100 f/2 on APS-C quite a bit and it was perfect for distant portraits and head shots. The 60 is cheaper than the 75 though, plus offers true macro capability - its a tough choice.

Out of curiosity, I see you have you the 45-175 - have you compared it with the Oly 40-150?

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Yes. The Oly is sharper close up, the Panny better far away. The Internal zoom and better long range had me keep the 45-175, but the Oly is a terrific deal.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman13 wrote:
Yes. The Oly is sharper close up, the Panny better far away. The Internal zoom and better long range had me keep the 45-175, but the Oly is a terrific deal.

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman13 wrote:
Well, the 75 doesn't focus as close, but the magnification is almost identical (so framing will be the same).

I view the 75 and 45 is different lenses, as the FOV is different enough to make a significant difference. You need some working space for the 75, but I absolutely love the results. The 45 is for more intimate portraiture, IMO. The 60 splits the difference quite well, actually, though if I had to choose two, it would be a very hard decision...the 60 and 75 would be my choice purely from a photographic point of view, while the 45
...Show more

The 75mm f/1.8 is simply a fantastic lens - worth the money. It is hard to find a lens sharper, and a really, really fine bokeh.

I wish it could focus closer, and you can get flare/ghosting (but certainly not worse than so many others) so I bought the expensive hood, but this are the only things I can say on the flip side. This is a lens I will never, ever, sell again.

I sold the 45mm after getting the 75.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:47 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Why? These are quite different FLs.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalegaspi
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman13 wrote:
100% crop:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2012/oly60_bird_crop.jpg

what camera is this and at what aperture? there is aliasing on the bird's feathers which could mean that the lens is outresolving the sensor...or of course that could just be moire...

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Yakim Peled wrote:
Why? These are quite different FLs.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Because I bought the 45 for portraits, but the 75 mm can do it better, even it is a bit long

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

dalegaspi wrote:
what camera is this and at what aperture? there is aliasing on the bird's feathers which could mean that the lens is outresolving the sensor...or of course that could just be moire...

OM-D and 60mm f2.8 .. probably that macro.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM
you2
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

Jman in your review you mentioned that you thought your 60mm was decentered; did you try swapping it for another or is the issue extremely minor ?

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Oly 60/2.8 Macro - First impresssions

I didn't try swapping it. I may send it in to Olympus eventually (before the warranty is out). It's pretty minor. I have never noticed it at all during any normal shooting I do with the lens. I only noticed it when specifically testing infinity performance for my review. It only appears on flat field subjects across the plane, at greater than about 10-15 feet, when focused on the center or right side. All portraiture: tack sharp. All macro: tack sharp. All pretty much anything I would choose this lens for: tack sharp.

Also, it's not bad enough to make the left side look like some giant blob of garbage...it's just a little soft there. It definitely acts as left edge field curvature, as when focused at infinity, some closer objects on the left edge will be razor sharp. It's minor enough that I haven't even been bothered to send it to Olympus yet, since I don't want to be without the lens.

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password